Making changes to the Windows Registry has the potential to disable the PC, if you have any concerns over using the information set forth here please feel free to post a question in this same tutorial and we will be glad to help.
Be Advised: if you use this method to reset you're user account password ANY / All access to encrypted files stored in the account will be lost.
Let's get Started!
1) The Boot Priority in the BIOS needs to be set to boot first from the optical drive; insert your Windows disk and re-start the PC.
At the first screen select your language then Repair your computer then it'll do some searching, at System Recovery Options dot Use recovery tools then select the OS and click next; while there make note of the OS drive letter, it may not be C: like mine is D:.
2) At the next screen select "Command Prompt" then in the Command window type "regedit" (without the quotes) and hit enter.
3) In the Registry Editor window that opens click to select "HKey_Local_Machine" then at the "File" menu select "Load Hive".
4) In the "Look In" in the "Load Hive" window that opens navigate to (in my case) LocalDiskD:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM and click "Open".
5) In the "Load Hive", "Key Name" box give the new key a name e.g. " 123 " (it can be whatever you like) and click OK.
6) In the left pane of the registry Editor window click the " + " sign to expand the "HKey_Local_Machine" key then click the " + " sign to expand the "123" key then click to select the "Setup" key.
7) Now in the right pane right click "SetupType" and select "Modify", set the "Value data" to " 2 " and click OK.
8) Again in the right pane right click "CmdLine" and select "Modify" and set the "Value data" to "cmd.exe" and click OK.
9) Now just as a precaution, close the Registry Editor at the "File" menu click "Exit"; then in the Command window that's still open type "regedit" and hit enter to open the Registry Editor again.
10) In the Registry Editor click the " + " sign to expand HKey_Local_Machine and click to select the new "123" key, at the "File" menu select "Unload Hive" and click "Yes" for the "Are you sure ..." question.
11) Now close the Registry Editor at the "File" menu click "Exit" then in the Command window type "exit" and hit enter to close the Command window, then remove the Windows disk and restart the PC.
12) When the PC restarts a Command window will open, in that window type "net user <username> <new password>" mine is (net user "Bare Foot Kid" Test6) be advised: if you have a username like mine, with spaces, you must use " " quotes around the user name; when you get the "Command Completed Successfully" type "exit" in the Command window and hit enter; at the logon screen use the new password you chose.
Computer type PC/Desktop System Manufacturer/Model Number Compaq sr5410f case OS Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1 CPU AMD X2 4450E @ 2.3 ghz Motherboard Biostar MCP6P M2+ Memory 4.0 g Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT , 512mb Sound Card onboard Monitor(s) Displays auria eq2367 Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080
Keyboard logitech wave cordless Mouse logitech LX8 cordless laser mouse PSU 250 watts Case Compaq Cooling couple fans Hard Drives 1 tb Hitachi HDT721010SLA scsi, 500 gb external Internet Speed comcast hi speed 19 dn 8 up Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Browser IE10 Other Info Laptop specs: HP g7-1365dx /
CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics /
RAM: Crucial 8Gb (2x4Gb) /
SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device/ FW 000F /
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6520G /
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer/Model Number Custom OS Win7 HP (x64)/Win7 Ultimate (x64) CPU Core i7 920 Motherboard Intel X58 Memory 6 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 Graphics Card CF HD4890 Sound Card Asus Xonar Monitor(s) Displays Dell 2408WFP Screen Resolution 1920 x 1200
Keyboard Razer Lycosa/N52te Mouse Razer Lachesis PSU Corsair HX1000W Case Antec 1200 Hard Drives 2 x 150GB WDC Velociraptors (Raid 0)
1 x 1TB Seagate
1 x 1.5TB Seagate
System Manufacturer/Model Number HP Compaq dc7100 OS windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit CPU Intel Pentium 4 531, 3000 MHz (15 x 200) Motherboard HP Compaq dc7100 Memory 3 Gigs DDR Graphics Card EVGA e-GeForce 9500 GT Sound Card AD1981B(L) @ Intel 82801FB ICH6 Monitor(s) Displays Acer AL1912 19.5"
PSU HP 340W Max Case HP Slim-Line Cooling Standard PSU dual fan,HP CPU side mount cooling,2.5 Case fan Hard Drives Drive #1 - WDC WD1200BEVS-22LAT0 (111 GB)
Drive #2 - HDT722525DLA380 (232 GB)
Drive #3 - WDC (Model Unknown) (320GB)