Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

10 Dec 2008   #179
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 
Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

How to Enable or Disable Quick Launch in Windows 7

...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #180
R A

W7PRO/ULT 32/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Strange. I just cannot get QL to dissappear for me when I restart.
I haven't tested this because I'm only using the 32bit Ultimate, but perhaps the problems with the disappearing QL is the bit version of Windows 7 (32bit vs 64bit)? Maybe even the version, Ultimate vs whatever?

It would be interesting to know the stats if a poll could be taken.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #181
churin

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R A View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Strange. I just cannot get QL to dissappear for me when I restart.
I haven't tested this because I'm only using the 32bit Ultimate, but perhaps the problems with the disappearing QL is the bit version of Windows 7 (32bit vs 64bit)? Maybe even the version, Ultimate vs whatever?

It would be interesting to know the stats if a poll could be taken.
Here's my stats using my four machines: The QL dissappearance problem was solved by saving the theme for the three Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines but was not for the one Windows 7 Ultimate x86 machine.
There observed something abnormal about the saved Personal Theme after rebooting the 32bit machine: Wall paper as displayed on the desktop was unchanged but the Personalization changed as the attached image. Note the background colour of the theme labeled as "QL Enabled" is black which was Windows 7 theme before rebooting.
Quick Launch - Enable or Disable-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #182
Flowright138

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by churin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R A View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Strange. I just cannot get QL to dissappear for me when I restart.
I haven't tested this because I'm only using the 32bit Ultimate, but perhaps the problems with the disappearing QL is the bit version of Windows 7 (32bit vs 64bit)? Maybe even the version, Ultimate vs whatever?

It would be interesting to know the stats if a poll could be taken.
Here's my stats using my four machines: The QL dissappearance problem was solved by saving the theme for the three Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machines but was not for the one Windows 7 Ultimate x86 machine.
There observed something abnormal about the saved Personal Theme after rebooting the 32bit machine: Wall paper as displayed on the desktop was unchanged but the Personalization changed as the attached image. Note the background colour of the theme labeled as "QL Enabled" is black which was Windows 7 theme before rebooting.
Attachment 36011
Yes I am running on x86 architecture...Perhaps that's the problem? What did you mean by "Personalization changed as the attached image"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #183
R A

W7PRO/ULT 32/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flowright138 View Post
Yes I am running on x86 architecture...Perhaps that's the problem? What did you mean by "Personalization changed as the attached image"?
What he is talking about is the theme he saved as QL Enabled in the left top corner of the image under My Themes(1) and the bottom left corner of the image that says "Desktop Background" (img0). Both are black. Basically he says the 32bit is not saving the theme correctly or something is corrupting the system and the theme is not being displayed properly upon a reboot.

I also pointed out in an earlier post, that if I turn off UAC I can save the theme and have QL do whatever I want.

Edit: I am unable to test 64bit at this time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 Nov 2009   #184
DarrellJ88

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and after restarting my QL is still there. So you can use that towards your statistics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #185
Flowright138

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R A View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flowright138 View Post
Yes I am running on x86 architecture...Perhaps that's the problem? What did you mean by "Personalization changed as the attached image"?
What he is talking about is the theme he saved as QL Enabled in the left top corner of the image under My Themes(1) and the bottom left corner of the image that says "Desktop Background" (img0). Both are black. Basically he says the 32bit is not saving the theme correctly or something is corrupting the system and the theme is not being displayed properly upon a reboot.

I also pointed out in an earlier post, that if I turn off UAC I can save the theme and have QL do whatever I want.

Edit: I am unable to test 64bit at this time.
How do you turn off UAC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #186
R A

W7PRO/ULT 32/64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flowright138 View Post

How do you turn off UAC?
User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #187
churin

W7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by R A View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flowright138 View Post
Yes I am running on x86 architecture...Perhaps that's the problem? What did you mean by "Personalization changed as the attached image"?
What he is talking about is the theme he saved as QL Enabled in the left top corner of the image under My Themes(1) and the bottom left corner of the image that says "Desktop Background" (img0). Both are black. Basically he says the 32bit is not saving the theme correctly or something is corrupting the system and the theme is not being displayed properly upon a reboot.

I also pointed out in an earlier post, that if I turn off UAC I can save the theme and have QL do whatever I want.

Edit: I am unable to test 64bit at this time.
I have done further experiment on 32bit machine which has QL disappearance problem:
The first thing I did after installing the Windows 7 was disabling UAC. The way I did it was changing for Admin user to having it automatically elevated from prompting credentials. This appears to set the slider at the bottom end for "Never Notify". So, this was the condition under which the QL was previously implemented.
This time I set three UAC entries on gpedit.msc/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Seculity Options, which were set as "Enabled" by default to "Disabled". "Prompt for credentials" for the standard user was left as was since there was no option for "Disabled". "Elevate without prompting" for admin users was also left as was. So, all UACs were set as "Disabled" except the above two.
Then, I added QL and saved the theme.
The result was that the QL still disappeared after rebooting but the colour of the wall paper as shown on the Personalization did not turn to black as was previously reported.
The above seems to indicate the UAC has something to do with saving the theme and possibley the QL problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #188
momo

 
 

I would like to know if i can get my quicklaunch bar vertically on the side of the screen. I know i can put it on the right or left, yet still on the task bar. I want to keep the taskbar on the bottom and have my QL on the side, independant of the taskbar and always visible.

Can this be done by Windows 7 or third party app? I want the icons to be normal and small instead of massive like i've seen some apps do for me.

Happy day
Mo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #189
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Mo, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but no QL cannot be used like that in Windows 7. You might see if using something like RocketDock or Nexus may work for you instead.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Comment

 Quick Launch - Enable or Disable




Tutorial Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Quick Launch - Enable or Disable
Windows 7 Tutorial Category
Solved Quick Launch ? General Discussion
Quick Launch Customization
Quick Launch bar General Discussion
Quick Launch Bar General Discussion
Launch Manager (Quick Launch Buttons) Hardware & Devices
quick launch?? General Discussion
Can't Enable Quick Launch? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33