Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
Currently, if you unlock a drive that has been locked with Bitlocker, you will need to either restart explorer.exe or reboot your PC. Neither of these appeal to me so I found a way of adding "Lock" to the context menu menu which, when clicked, re-locks the drive.
Involves editing the registry. Proceed with care if new to registry editing and back up your registry before hand
1. Open Notepad and paste this below in it. NOTE:Replace x: with the drive letter you wish to apply it to.
manage-bde -lock x: -ForceDismount
2. Save the file as lock.bat to your desktop, then move it into your C:\Windows folder.
3. Open regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
4. In the left pane of regedit, right click on shell, click on New and Key, type runas, and press enter. NOTE:This key may already exist with the value of TakeOwnership. If it does, name the new key runas(2) instead.
5. In the right pane of runas or runas(2), double click on (default) to modify, type in Lock and click on OK.
6. In the left pane of regedit, right click on runas or runas(2), click on New and Key, type command and press enter.
7. In the right pane of command, double click on (default) to modify, type in C:\Windows\lock.bat and click on OK.
8. In the right pane of runas or runas(2), click on a empty space and click on New and String Value, type in AppliesTo and press enter.
9. Double click on AppliesTo to modify, type in X: and click on OK. NOTE:Replace X: with the same drive location as you did in step 1.
10. Close regedit.
Now, when you right click the drive, you'll see "Lock". Clicking this will re-lock your drive.
Micrsoft needs to fix this IMO but this is an excellent work around. Props to "Jonathon" for coming up with the original method.
"Error recovering disk H: The recovery key you tipped is not correct.Type it again."
note that I already removed my password, started decrypting my external hard drive (took about 24 hours) and then at the end of unlocking, I guess because I wasn't there, I got message there is an error on drive please run disk check and there was some command but I clicked to close and did not wrote it down..
forgot to upload one more pic.. I am typing that number.. still got the same result
It put's dashes automatically..even if I try to put them nothing happens..
sry about that.. yeah I notice that also but he corrected me and send that one part was wrong.. the part where I put 9 instead of 0
I have a question.. this option that tw33k put here is for locking. so if I follow tutorial in my locked drive I should have option Unlock?