Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

04 Nov 2010   #130
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

During the installation process you will be presented with this dialog box, click "drive options" and then the "format" button and when finished if it doesn't help with the issue you will need to use this tutorial to do a wipe (secure erase) of the entire Hard Disk Drive (HDD) but before you do that try these suggestions first for a format.
click to enlarge
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation-new-partition.jpg





My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Nov 2010   #131
EzioAuditore

Winbdows 7 ultimate x64 | Ubuntu 12.04 x64 LTS
 
 

@BFK
Can it be used to do the 0's secure wipe with only one partition instead of the entire HDD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #132
helyn

Windows 7 Pro 32 bit
 
 

Thanks for your interest, but somehow I got the virtual machine to work and even was able to install my printer by getting the driver from Canon. Now it has to hold...that is the challenge!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2010   #133
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by EzioAuditore View Post
@BFK
Can it be used to do the 0's secure wipe with only one partition instead of the entire HDD?
No, it will do the entire Hard Disk Drive (HDD) it will not do a single partition.

But you can have a look at Option Three in this tutorial at the link below for an out-line of how to do a partition specific wipe; just be sure to have backups just in case.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by helyn View Post
Thanks for your interest, but somehow I got the virtual machine to work and even was able to install my printer by getting the driver from Canon. Now it has to hold...that is the challenge!
I'm glad it was a help to you and thanks for the update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Nov 2010   #134
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

I have a llk' question about this... I'm about to format a HDD (is not an SDD) 250GB SataII, do I need to aplyi that align=64 command? or can I omit it.

See ya!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #135
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
I have a llk' question about this... I'm about to format a HDD (is not an SDD) 250GB SataII, do I need to aplyi that align=64 command? or can I omit it.

See ya!!!
Hello FerchogtX.



You can omit it if you like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2010   #136
FerchogtX

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit Build 7600 / Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
 
 

Thanks for the response... just a lil' one more: if I activate that, does any difference with normal sata II HD drives? BTW NICE tutorial, I recovered my laptop for a recursive fail with drivers and it even goes faster :P

See ya!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2010   #137
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FerchogtX View Post
Thanks for the response... just a lil' one more: if I activate that, does any difference with normal sata II HD drives? BTW NICE tutorial, I recovered my laptop for a recursive fail with drivers and it even goes faster :P

See ya!!!


I'm glad it was useful to you, thanks for the update; It'll work the same for any Hard Disk Drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #138
Ukiii

Windows 7 Prof x64
 
 

Hi Bare Foot Kid,

I'm not experienced in this area too much so my question might seem a little bit weird; does the wipe clean does anything to MBR? I did have some problems before with two disks: one of them was being used for the OS and then I bought another one, tried to install fresh copy of OS and had problems with MBR - the new one was formated under the old one, hence problems with proper boot. Eventually I managed to get it work through EasyBCD but the question is: would I have problems like this again after this wipe clean?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2010   #139
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ukiii View Post
Hi Bare Foot Kid,

I'm not experienced in this area too much so my question might seem a little bit weird; does the wipe clean does anything to MBR? I did have some problems before with two disks: one of them was being used for the OS and then I bought another one, tried to install fresh copy of OS and had problems with MBR - the new one was formated under the old one, hence problems with proper boot. Eventually I managed to get it work through EasyBCD but the question is: would I have problems like this again after this wipe clean?

Thanks.
Hello Ukiii.

The 'clean all' (secure erase) cannot be done to any Hard Disk Drive that has any data on it you want to keep, it will destroy, over-write any/all data on the HDD and cannot be done to a single partition on a HDD, it will do the whole drive and everything will be lost including the MBR for the HDD, see the warning from the tutorial I quoted below.


warning   Warning

Do not do this to any SSD or HDD that has data on it you don't want to lose, the first thing this does is to mark the drive as "Unallocated Space" and then writes zeroes ( 0's ) to the entire drive, it's known as a "Secure Erase" and it will make data un-recoverable, it cannot be done to just a single partition on a drive, it will do the whole drive.
You have been warned!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Optimize Windows 7
How to Optimize Windows 7 This is a list of suggestions that will help show you how to optimize Windows 7 by speeding up and improving it's performance. You can pick and choose which ones you would like to do, or feel comfortable doing. If you do not notice an increase in performance or...
Tutorials
regarding SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
When using diskpart, I'm noticing it never wants you to format when I go back in to the installer. Am I correct in assuming diskpart will format the drives with NTFS? Do I need to realign the SSD on the reinstall? Thank you :)
Installation & Setup
How do I optimize the page file for an SSD? Windows 7 x64
Hi there. I've been trying to figure out a way to optimize my page file on my SSD for the last few days. I keep ending up with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors or PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA. I'm running an OCZ Vertex 3 128gb with only the OS and Adobe Web Design Premium suite installed on it and...
Performance & Maintenance
optimize hd before windows 7 reinstall
does anyone have any pointers for optimizing a hard drive before a windows 7 reinstall?
Chillout Room
Optimize Windows 7 for gaming
How do you guys optimize/tweak your own computer? I was surfing the internet yesterday and came across few software I'm not sure about. First is the game booster claiming to boost gaming performance and then I found cacheman and cleanmem. I don't know about cachman but I've heard recommendation...
Performance & Maintenance
Optimize Your Windows 7 PC
More at: Optimize Your Windows 7 PC - PC World
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App