How to Create a Task that will Shut Down the PC Automatically
This will show a very easy way to create a task in the Task Scheduler that will shut down the PC whenever you like. This will work for Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Let's get started!
1) In the Windows start menu search box type "Task Scheduler" (without the quotes) right click the entry and select "Run as Administrator" then enter your user credentials for the UAC prompt and click "Yes" to open the Task Scheduler.
click an image to enlarge
2) In the left pane of Task Scheduler, click on Task Scheduler Library, then in the "Actions" menu in the right pane click on Create Task.
3) In the Create Task window under the General tab, set a name and description for the task then dot "Run whether user is logged on or not" then put a check/tick at "Run with highest privileges", be sure to set the "Configure for:" for your flavor of Windows, then continue on to #4 below.
4) Now at the Actions tab at the lower left click "New", in the "New Action" dialog box leave "Action" set at "Start a program" at "Program/script:" type shutdown.exe then at "Add arguments" type /s /f (take note of the space between the /s and /f) then click OK.
5) Now at the Triggers tab at the lower left click "New" in the "New Trigger" dialog box set the parameters that you want for the task, as everyone's needs will be different, I just highlighted a few of the ones that need to be set to give some ideas.
6) After you have the Triggers set click "OK", you will then be prompted to enter your user credentials one last time and then click "OK" to finish creating the task. That's it the task has been created, at "File" click "Exit" to close the Task Scheduler.
Be sure to have a look at the "Conditions" tab if you need to add any parameters that must be met before the task is able to run.
Should the PC be in use at the scheduled shutdown time you will get a dialog box stating that you are about to be logged off.
Computer type PC/Desktop System Manufacturer/Model Number Compaq sr5410f case OS Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1 CPU AMD X2 4450E @ 2.3 ghz Motherboard Biostar MCP6P M2+ Memory 4.0 g Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT , 512mb Sound Card onboard Monitor(s) Displays auria eq2367 Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080
Keyboard logitech wave cordless Mouse logitech LX8 cordless laser mouse PSU 250 watts Case Compaq Cooling couple fans Hard Drives 1 tb Hitachi HDT721010SLA scsi, 500 gb external Internet Speed comcast hi speed 19 dn 8 up Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Browser IE11 Other Info Laptop specs: HP g7-1365dx /
CPU: AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics /
RAM: Crucial 8Gb (2x4Gb) /
SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 ATA Device/ FW 000F /
GFX: AMD Radeon HD 6520G /
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1