When you set XP Mode up, first boot, it asked you to create a password:
Because of the restrictions of Remote Desktop Protocol
, XP Mode and other Virtual PC vm's can not be used without a password if integration features are enabled. When installing XP Mode and setting it up, integration is by default enabled. This is why XP Mode does not allow you to set it up without password, so IMO you should try once more to remember it.
However, if you have later disabled integration features, then it is possible to login to XP Mode with a username without password. First thing to do is to really check if you have a password or not. This can most easily be done by checking XP Mode > Control Panel > User accounts
. Click XPMUser
and see what it says. The two images below show the difference, first image shows XPMUser has a password, the second that XPMUser has no password. You can clearly see the difference:
If XPMUser has no password but you have been able to login and use that user account, it means you have also disabled integration features. To enable integration, simply create a password and logout, login using the new password and enable integration from virtual machine's Tools
If your XPMUser account has a password and you can not remember it, the best you can do is this:
- Create a new administrator account with password (XP Mode > Control Panel > User Accounts)
- Still being logged in as XPMUser, copy all your personal files and folders from C:\Documents and Settings\XPMUser to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
- Log off XPMUser, login to your new account
- When new user has logged in successfully, shut down XP Mode and delete saved credentials from XP Mode settings
- When credentials are deleted, boot XP Mode again, select the new account you created, give password and select Remember my credentials:
Now in the future XP Mode logs you automatically in with this new account.
When in XP Mode with the new account, open All Users
and copy all files and folders you earlier copied from XPMUser to your new account. Now you you can simply delete the XPMUser account, having a new working administrator account with all your files from old XPMUser account transferred to your new account.