Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is it worth creating XP mode in windows 7


28 Jan 2012   #21

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hummer7 View Post
From your post, it seems that I do not need to buy a new XP CD but download and instal Microsoft XP Mode file. That is great. Then, how to suppress the command to type in product # of XP CD?
You can "only" download and install Windows XP Mode if you own Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 7 Ultimate. You said previously that your computer had Windows 7 Home Premium, and that doesn't entitle you to use XP Mode. If you have one of the required OS's, when you install Windows XP Mode it simply will NOT prompt you for a key.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hummer7 View Post
Secondly, I have VMWare player 3.1.1 and 4.02 files. You recommended to install 3.5.x version. I was not successful to locate the v. 3.5.x version. Do you know where to download from?
My apologies, I screwed up. The version I meant was 3.1.5...not 3.5 at all.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2012   #22

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hummer7 View Post
From your post, it seems that I do not need to buy a new XP CD but download and instal Microsoft XP Mode file. That is great. Then, how to suppress the command to type in product # of XP CD?
You can "only" download and install Windows XP Mode if you own Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise or Windows 7 Ultimate. You said previously that your computer had Windows 7 Home Premium, and that doesn't entitle you to use XP Mode. If you have one of the required OS's, when you install Windows XP Mode it simply will NOT prompt you for a key.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hummer7 View Post
Secondly, I have VMWare player 3.1.1 and 4.02 files. You recommended to install 3.5.x version. I was not successful to locate the v. 3.5.x version. Do you know where to download from?
My apologies, I screwed up. The version I meant was 3.1.5...not 3.5 at all.
I would like to repeat again here. It was true my office computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium but I recently purchased Windows 7 Pro OEM from Newegg and installed. Now, the office computer run windows 7 pro.

Monday, I will try to install XP Mode (downloaded from Microsoft site) and then v. 3.1.5 VMWare player (I found it and downloaded this morning). I would like to see whether installing VMWare player asks to prompt key or not. I am now learning how to do with virtual system.

Initially, I was following this website as a reference to create XP mode (Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista - How-To Geek). That instruction described to use WinXP CD and VMWare player (no description about the use of Microsoft XP Mode and Virtual PC. That's why I was planning to buy XP Pro OEM CD. It now seems that I do not need to buy it even with VMWare player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #23

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

XP Mode is a freebie from Microsoft for people who have Windows 7 Professional and upwards.

Whether you install it under Microsoft's Virtual PC or VMware Player you will not be asked for a product key nor will you be asked to activate it.

As long as the host system is legal and above board XP Mode will install OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jan 2012   #24

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
XP Mode is a freebie from Microsoft for people who have Windows 7 Professional and upwards.

Whether you install it under Microsoft's Virtual PC or VMware Player you will not be asked for a product key nor will you be asked to activate it.

As long as the host system is legal and above board XP Mode will install OK.
I let you know how it goes next Monday.

BTW, it seems that you are using XP mode heavily. I am curisous what are you using mainly for. I would like to learn about the main application of XP mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #25

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Whether you install it under Microsoft's Virtual PC or VMware Player you will not be asked for a product key nor will you be asked to activate it.
Hi, I read this post again.
Should I install XP Mode after installing VMWare player? For the combination of XP mode and Virtual PC, XP mode was installed prior to installing Virtual PC. I am confused. Could you please clarify it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #26

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

This should help: Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

And this one: Run XP Mode in VMware Workstation or Player with Activation Intact My Digital Life

Do bear in mind that XP Mode is no good for early graphic-intensive programs such as Adobe Photoshop 7, but for legacy applications such as Quicken 2000 or Microsoft Office 97 it is fine.

People tend to use it for older applications that won't run under Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2012   #27

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
People tend to use it for older applications that won't run under Windows 7.
That is exactly what I want. A lot of date was encrypted using "CD Lock" program in Win XP and burnt DVD disks. CD Lock program for Windows 7 has not been yet released. That's why I want XP mode to decrypt the old data in Windows 7 machine.

My plan is to copy the CD Lock program into a flashdrive and install it in Windowx XP mode. I hope that data or programs in flashdrive are accessible to XP mode(note: XP mode installed in Virtual PC did not see a separate D-drive in the computer).
Then, I want to decrypt data in CD-Lock encrypted CD disks.
I hope this should work.

If it works, my question is how to export decrypted data from XP mode into windows 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #28

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

When a USB device is connected to host, XP Mode shows it in the Virtual PC USB menu. Those devices that can be automatically shared (integration must be enabled!) are shown as shared so you can access them from both host and guest. If the device is not shared, selecting it will attach it to XP Mode, and selecting again will release it and connect back to the host.

You can also select a shared device to attach it directly to XP Mode, in which case it is no longer usable from host.

Name:  XPMode_USB.png
Views: 15
Size:  27.3 KB
  • Attach = Device connected to host, not available from XP Mode. Selecting device will attach it to XP Mode, after what device is no longer available from host
  • Release = Device connected to XP Mode, not available from host. Selecting device will attach it to host, after what device is no longer available from XP Mode
  • Shared = device available from host and XP Mode. Selecting device will attach it to XP Mode, after what device is no longer available from host
When integration is enabled you can move files back and forth between host and XP Mode quite easily. Just open one of the host's drives visible on XP Mode's My Computer view and copy / paste or drag and drop as you wish:

Is it worth creating XP mode in windows 7-host_drives_on-xpmode.png


You could also see if this trick is something for you; moving XP Mode's My Documents folder to host let's you access your personal files stored on XP Mode even when XPMode is not running: http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/137514-change-my-documents-folder-xpmode.html#post1181192


Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #29

Win7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post

One important thing I forgot to mention and that is whichever virtual machine you use you'll need to go into the BIOS and enable hardware virtualization under the Power settings otherwise your virtual PC won't work.
Thank you for the information concerning the BIOS and virtual PC. However, several months ago I downloaded this software without making any changes to the BIOS. This is the first time that I have heard about it. However, all is well so I will leave it as it.

If it isnt't broken, don't fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2012   #30

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by C32C3 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post

One important thing I forgot to mention and that is whichever virtual machine you use you'll need to go into the BIOS and enable hardware virtualization under the Power settings otherwise your virtual PC won't work.
Thank you for the information concerning the BIOS and virtual PC. However, several months ago I downloaded this software without making any changes to the BIOS. This is the first time that I have heard about it. However, all is well so I will leave it as it.

If it isnt't broken, don't fix it.
I'll agree with that sentiment, but I'm intrigued as to why it should be the case.

However, there's no point in looking for a problem that isn't there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is it worth creating XP mode in windows 7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Is it worth creating XP mode in windows 7
Thread Forum
Windows 8...my 2/- worth General Discussion
Solved Is the SP1 for Windows 7 64 bit worth installing? General Discussion
Creating a second instance of XP mode Virtualization
is it worth creating a restore point? for safety Backup and Restore
Worth upgrading to windows 7?? General Discussion
Is Windows 7 really worth it? General Discussion
Creating vmware VM from "Xp mode" VM in W7 Virtualization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33