Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Create second Windows XP Mode using BASE disk. Possible?

25 May 2012   #1
maxima

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Create second Windows XP Mode using BASE disk. Possible?

I installed XP Mode and played with it a bit. Now I want to start afresh. I think I can reinstall XP Mode and take it from there... However before I do...

Is it possible to create second XP Mode machine from scratch using XP Mode Base disk (like it was when I just installed it) ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 May 2012   #2
maxima

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Wow. I thought this is the simplest and obvious question on virtualisation in W7...

If you installed Windows XP Mode and then you want to have 2 or 3 different setups with different software installed on each of the XP virtual machines.. How do you create clean XP installation ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2012   #3
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Your question is rather confusing, which may explain the reluctance for people to answer you.

For a start, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a XP Mode Base disc.

Anyway, to answer your question. Your Windows 7 licence only allows you to have one copy of XP Mode on the same computer.

However, this link seems to offer a solution. Whether it's legal or not is up to you to decide.

Windows 7 XP Mode - Is it possible to have multiple XP Mode Virtual PCs? - Super User
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 May 2012   #4
maxima

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

the base disk: "Windows XP Mode base.vhd"

i have 10 W7 Ultimate licences so I think I can afford to have 2. especially if I am going to use one at a time anyway.

let me have a look into the SO answer. it seems quite complicated.. I might decide to simply reinstall it and forget the whole story.

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2012   #5
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Your question is rather confusing, which may explain the reluctance for people to answer you.

For a start, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a XP Mode Base disc.

Anyway, to answer your question. Your Windows 7 licence only allows you to have one copy of XP Mode on the same computer.

However, this link seems to offer a solution. Whether it's legal or not is up to you to decide.

Windows 7 XP Mode - Is it possible to have multiple XP Mode Virtual PCs? - Super User
There is a file under C:\Program Files x86\Windows XP Mode\ and it is the base virtual hard drive that Windwos XP Mode is installed from (and you can use it in another virtual machine).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2012   #6
maxima

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yes I know where is the file. The question was - how exactly do I use it for another virtual machine. Could you please explain in details
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2012   #7
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxima View Post
Yes I know where is the file. The question was - how exactly do I use it for another virtual machine. Could you please explain in details
My previous reply was to Seavixen32. To do what you want to do, I want to know what virtual machine software you want to run the second CP virtual machine in. You cannot have two Windows XP Mode virtual machines in Windows Virtual PC, but you could create a copy of the Windows XP Mode Base file and create a virtual machine that is linked to that (That is a long and time consuming process to do)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 May 2012   #8
maxima

W7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
You cannot have two Windows XP Mode virtual machines in Windows Virtual PC, but you could create a copy of the Windows XP Mode Base file and create a virtual machine that is linked to that (That is a long and time consuming process to do)
Yeah I actually wanted that - copy of the base and new VM. but I am not prepared to spend hours for that. I am probably going to reinstall it. But thanks anyway
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #9
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
Your question is rather confusing, which may explain the reluctance for people to answer you.

For a start, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a XP Mode Base disc.

Anyway, to answer your question. Your Windows 7 licence only allows you to have one copy of XP Mode on the same computer.

However, this link seems to offer a solution. Whether it's legal or not is up to you to decide.

Windows 7 XP Mode - Is it possible to have multiple XP Mode Virtual PCs? - Super User
There is a file under C:\Program Files x86\Windows XP Mode\ and it is the base virtual hard drive that Windwos XP Mode is installed from (and you can use it in another virtual machine).
Thanks for the information.

Although I've used XP Mode it's the first time I'd heard of the VHD being described in that manner.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 May 2012   #10
windude99

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by maxima View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post
You cannot have two Windows XP Mode virtual machines in Windows Virtual PC, but you could create a copy of the Windows XP Mode Base file and create a virtual machine that is linked to that (That is a long and time consuming process to do)
Yeah I actually wanted that - copy of the base and new VM. but I am not prepared to spend hours for that. I am probably going to reinstall it. But thanks anyway
What software do you want to run the second VM in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Create second Windows XP Mode using BASE disk. Possible?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 setup stop in disk.sys on UEFI mode, but in BIOS mode it did
Hi everyone, I'm attemping to install Windows 7 64 bits in a Sony vaio SVE14A25CLB laptop. Many threads in this forum already help me a lot to change the UEFI settings to boot from a DVD or USB device in UEFI mode and I clean the hard drive with diskpart. Also secure boot is disabled. My...
Installation & Setup
How can I create a back up disk of my BIOS in Windows 7
I want to back up my BIOS. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. How can I create a back-up disk for this purpose? Please note, this is not about a system recovery disk. What I need is a back-up for the BIOS, to be used in case of boot failure. Regards,
Backup and Restore
how to disable base video mode boot in msconfig
My OS is Windows 7 32 bits. I checked base video in boot option in msconfig and also checked make all boot settings permanent. So my window always boots with low resolution mode. Therefore I rechecked base video, checked all boot settings permanent, applied, ok and then restarted the windows. OK....
General Discussion
Can't Create a recovery disk in my windows 7 need some help pls!
I post some screenshot so you will know what is going on! u know that Disk Named Fritz Its the recovery disk :(( Im very stupid I put some stupid file on it! plsss help me! i need to reformat my computer badly! ---19Fritz92---
Performance & Maintenance
Windows PE Disk - Create
How to Create a Windows PE Disk Let me begin by saying this tutorial does not cover every possible scenario, nor is it intended to. It's pretty basic but, if followed, will create a usable Windows PE disk based upon Windows 7. I'm using Windows 7 professional. Links were tested and...
Tutorials
trying to delete xp mode base
im trying to delete Windows XP Mode base.vhd so i can replace it with a back up, when i do this i get the you need permissions dialogue, ive used the "take ownership" but it still wont let me delete i can and have renamed it and even the file extension but still cant delete it.] thanks
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App