Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: xp mode on premium version


07 Nov 2013   #11

W7 premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Read this tutorial to see how to use Virtual PC and create a virtual machine: Windows Virtual PC - Create Virtual Machine

Start from step 4 (steps 1 to 3 describe how to download and install VPC).

Kari
Kari, thx but virtual machine is not listed in that tutorial, on my pc. All I have is Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode.Unless I needed to download the 86 version, but I ck'd and my os states 64.
I for some reason, have that same desktop.ini file on my desktop. Says it was created back Aug 19th this year. No idea how that had happened. I think that may be causing this issue.

Should I look for a restore point prior to that date?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2013   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Tutorial, Step 4: Open the Virtual PC folder
Step 5: Click on the Create Virtual Machine

And so on. Follow the steps to create your XP virtual machine. Steps 13 and 14 tell you how to insert your install media, an ISO file (step 13) or a CD / DVD (step14).

If you have installed Windows Virtual PC as told in the tutorial (steps 1 to 3) or on the Virtual PC download page, you simply follow tutorial's instructions to create a virtual machine for your Windows XP.

Brink is The Man when it comes to write instructional tutorials, I cannot explain the procedure any simpler than his tutorial does.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #13

W7 premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Tutorial, Step 4: Open the Virtual PC folder
Step 5: Click on the Create Virtual Machine

And so on. Follow the steps to create your XP virtual machine. Steps 13 and 14 tell you how to insert your install media, an ISO file (step 13) or a CD / DVD (step14).

If you have installed Windows Virtual PC as told in the tutorial (steps 1 to 3) or on the Virtual PC download page, you simply follow tutorial's instructions to create a virtual machine for your Windows XP.

Brink is The Man when it comes to write instructional tutorials, I cannot explain the procedure any simpler than his tutorial does.

Kari
I have my xp on a copied disk and is legit with a key. I also have this "slipstream sp3" disk I had made in 2009. Which do I choose? Thx and before, the stuff on my machine was not exactly as the tutorial, so I was concerned of doing it correctly. Thx for the help. DM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2013   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

If your own SP3 version is valid and works, and if your valid product key can be used to activate it, use it. Virtual PC does not care, it can use any valid install media.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #15

W7 premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
If your own SP3 version is valid and works, and if your valid product key can be used to activate it, use it. Virtual PC does not care, it can use any valid install media.
And also, just to mention...I'm doing this all because I need xp to run this small simulator program that requires XP. This is the only reason (as of now) that I'm installing some sort of program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #16

W7 premium 64
 
 

I put in either disk and no iso file found.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #17

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Calm down, have a soda or beer or whatever and check the tutorial once again. You are not using an ISO file so naturally the Virtual PC does not find any; you need to tell the Virtual PC you are using a CD / DVD instead.

See the screenshot on tutorial in question, step 13, the right pane of that window. I copied it here and highlighted with yellow color the selection you have to make:
Name:  9353d1241175768-windows-virtual-pc-create-virtual-machine-step8.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  159.1 KB
Select Access a physical drive, and using the drop down menu select the CD / DVD drive that contains your XP install media.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #18

W7 premium 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Calm down, have a soda or beer or whatever and check the tutorial once again. You are not using an ISO file so naturally the Virtual PC does not find any; you need to tell the Virtual PC you are using a CD / DVD instead.

See the screenshot on tutorial in question, step 13, the right pane of that window. I copied it here and highlighted with yellow color the selection you have to make:
Attachment 292816
Select Access a physical drive, and using the drop down menu select the CD / DVD drive that contains your XP install media.

Kari
I am calm (but a beer would be nice....but gotta head for work in a bit) I did look in my selected drive and it did not find and iso file. I restarted pc and will have another go. Wonder if it's because it's a copied (my copy) of CD? Give me a minute.......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #19

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Please read this with thought:
  • If you want to install from an ISO file, read again Brink's post #5 in this thread to see how to create one from your XP CD and then install your XP virtual machine using the ISO
  • If however you are installing from the Windows XP CD / DVD, forget the ISO file. ISO and CD are two different things, installing from a CD or a DVD you do not need an ISO file. In this case, insert the XP CD to your CD drive and read my previous post again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2013   #20

W7 premium 64
 
 

either of my 2 drives is not picking up either disk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 xp mode on premium version




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33