Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity

12 Jan 2015   #1
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity

I created a VHD of my old W7 setup using Macrium Reflect.

I attached it to my system and added a boot entry using EasyBCD.
It booted up as expected.

The mouse works normally.
However, I can't login as my keyboard doesn't work (USB and PS/2).
I can't activate the on-screen keyboard either.

Does anyone know how to fix this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jan 2015   #2
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

I have no solution or workaround for you at the moment, however I am wondering why you can't use on-screen keyboard if as you say your mouse works normally?
W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity-2015-01-13_12h11_23.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #3
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I have no solution or workaround for you at the moment, however I am wondering why you can't use on-screen keyboard if as you say your mouse works normally?
I can select the option shown in your screenshot, but I can't figure out how to activate the keyboard, so that I can use it to login (i.e. no keyboard appears on the login page).

Update
I just compared my real install to the VHD.
The only Accessibility option that works on the VHD, is the high contrast theme option.

All the other options deselect themselves once the Accessibility window closes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jan 2015   #4
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Lehnerus, please forgive me, I do not suggest you don't know what you are doing, I just want to be sure we are on the same page.

Is the below how you do it?

The screenshot from my previous post, here with more information (list numbers refer to corresponding numbers in screenshot):
W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity-2015-01-13_12h11_23.png
  1. Click Ease of Access button
  2. Tick the box (select) Type without the keyboard
  3. Click OK
This opens, at least on all of my computers and virtual machines, in all Windows versions the on-screen keyboard:
W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity-2015-01-13_14h51_01.png
Notice that when the Ease of Access button is clicked when the on-screen keyboard was previously selected but not for some reason opened, the Ease of Access dialog looks like this:
W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity-2015-01-13_14h48_09.png
The on-screen keyboard is selected but both OK and Apply buttons disabled. In this case you need to first untick / deselect the on-screen keyboard, click Apply, tick / select the on-screen keyboard again and click OK. This opens the on-screen keyboard.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #5
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Lehnerus, please forgive me, I do not suggest you don't know what you are doing, ...
I didn't think that you were.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Notice that when the Ease of Access button is clicked when the on-screen keyboard was previously selected but not for some reason opened, the Ease of Access dialog looks like this:
Attachment 346223
The on-screen keyboard is selected but both OK and Apply buttons disabled. In this case you need to first untick / deselect the on-screen keyboard, click Apply, tick / select the on-screen keyboard again and click OK. This opens the on-screen keyboard.
My dialogue window looks like your last screenshot.

I'll see if selecting/deselecting the on-screen keyboard option works and then report back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #6
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Lehnerus, please forgive me, I do not suggest you don't know what you are doing, ...
I didn't think that you were.
Good to have that cleared .

It's always a bit problematic to reply when you know that the OP is an experienced senior geek.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2015   #7
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

I tried various combination of selecting/deselecting but the on-screen keyboard still won't appear.

The VHD also has a Guest account but when I try to use it, it starts to load and then I see the "Preparing your Desktop" message and then it logs off.

I also created another VHD from an image with no AV.
On another forum, I read a coment from someone who was having problems that were apparently caused by his AV program.
The new VHD behaves exactly the same as the previous one.

Strangely my real OS just had a BSOD.

I might disconnect the VHD.
I might just have to recreate my old setup on another HDD and try something different.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2015   #8
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Defeated

I had to give up on creating a VHD/VM of my old (triple boot) setup.

Restoring the HDD images to a different HDD was also problematic.

XP had no problems starting (once I disconnected my 3TB HDD).
IMO, this points out the real reason MS wants to kill XP; it's bulletproof.

As expected, the so-called modern operating systems (W7 and LM17.1) both went "belly up".
The GRUB menu still worked though.
I find it interesting that the more "modern" an OS is, the more fragile it is.

Since I didn't need LM17.1, I didn't bother to copy it over.
I managed to fix the W7 boot issue using EasyBCD.

I'm giving up on this project, so I've marked this thread as "Solved".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 VHD - No Keyboard Activity




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No GPU activity, low performance
Hi guys, today I moved from 32 to 64 bits W7 so I can make better use of my CPU and RAM. I installed the most recent AMD drivers, 13.9. I noticed my GPU activity is most of the part at 0%. Sometimes it has spikes where it goes up to 30/40% for a sec. My performance is pretty bad, I can't play any...
Graphic Cards
BSOD while AV scan activity or medium app activity
I get random BSOD when I do a full antivirus scan, or any medium application activity from MS office or graphics programs
BSOD Help and Support
Keyboard making sounds, won't repeat keystrokes - cat sat on keyboard!
Please help, my cat sat on my keyboard this morning and turned something on - it was a Flash keys option I think (or Filter Keys?) - couldn't really see around her. :confused: I now have noises each time I press a key and am not able to repeat keys easily - only one stroke per key is allowed at a...
Hardware & Devices
Best way to log activity
Hello everyone, I'm starting to learn ICT and want to know how I can log the activity on a Windows 7 system. At this moment I made a simple script which will log the username, when he/she logged in/out and the ipconfig settings from that machine. My school can log everything like what...
System Security
My notebook keyboard restored as desktop keyboard
I just intalled windows 7 and now my keyboard is like a destop keyboard. How can i restore them to be as notebook keyboard? The notebook is a Acer Aspire 6930G
Hardware & Devices
Keyboard - Shift & Alt keys stopped working for keyboard shortcuts
As I wrote in the title, my Shift and Alt keys stopped working for keyboard shortcuts. However, the Shift key still works when capitalizing letters. I've been dealing with this problem off/on for the past two weeks and haven't been able to figure it out. I've gone into Ease of Access features...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App