Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device

04 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device

Hi.

I have this problem, that windows 7 does not support my Aiptek Slim 3000 photo/cam device. I was able to use it back in windows xp.
So i downloaded and installed windows xp mode, all is well.
However, windows 7 can not use the device, is it possible to use it in windows xp mode?
Any help is appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Feb 2010   #2

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
You've discovered one of the many limitations of XP mode. USB support doesn't work in XP mode.

I would download VBOX or vmware server or player (all FREE) and install a full XP virtual machine -- this will have complete USB support.

You'll need an XP install disc however to go this route.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
You've discovered one of the many limitations of XP mode. USB support doesn't work in XP mode.

I would download VBOX or vmware server or player (all FREE) and install a full XP virtual machine -- this will have complete USB support.

You'll need an XP install disc however to go this route.

Cheers
jimbo
Thank you very much.
Now you say that it's 100 percent that would work, i.e. on vmware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

I installed windows xp on virtualbox, and spent the last two hours trying to make this work. It doesnt. The device does not even show up in device manager. I already added the usb filters.
Now the only way it would work if i dual booted with windows 7 but i don't want to do that. I don't give up easily though.
Another weird thing i noticed is that in windows 7 when i install the driver (the windows xp driver) it shows up as 2 devices. I suppose because it's a "photocam" and a "webcam" as well.
When i was using xp it showed up as only one device.
In reply to Jimbo45, I have to say, that using xp in virtualbox in this manner, it does not solve the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Okay case closed. I solved the problem by deleting the device in Windows 7 dev. manager, rebooted, and in vbox i reinstalled the driver. Voila! Worked!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Feb 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi there
You've discovered one of the many limitations of XP mode. USB support doesn't work in XP mode.
Bobalatz, just to correct the wrong information given to you: USB support works quite well in XP Mode:

Name:  XPM_USB.png
Views: 170
Size:  22.4 KB

Anyway, it's nice you found a working solution.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #7

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi Kari

I'll correct my original info -- XP mode used to have MEGA problems with USB drives unless you "switched off" the Integration feature in which case Virtual PC behaved more like "bog standard" virtual machine software such as VBOX / VMWARE--- looks like the latest incarnation of XP mode has fixed this problem.

I still think however that XP mode is much more hobbled than it needed to have been however. The Idea was great but execution IMO flawed.

Note also that to get the XP mode as a Free download you need to have a version of Windows 7 > Home premium and you need to have the VT feature enabled -- which again IMO is rather strange since some businesses (presumably this is the intended audience for XP mode) might be using rather older hardware than typical users on these type of Forums.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

Nice to see you found a solution to your prob. Tho I still can't get my gamebridge to work in XP mode (dose not detect a USB 2.0 port)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Smsff7, do you not see it on the USB device list (see my post above)? When driver is not installed, it can be shown as Unidentified Device. Try to attach these one at a time and see if you can find the right one to start installing drivers.

This extract from XP Mode Help file:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows XP Mode Help
Windows Virtual PC supports the use of USB 2.0 devices by sharing the device or by redirecting it to the virtual machine. The method to use depends on the type of USB device. When the Integration Components package is installed in the guest operating system, printers, storage devices, and smart card readers that are attached to the host are automatically shared with virtual machines. When drivers are installed in both the host and guest, no additional steps are required to use these types of USB devices, except for printers. For more information about configuring and sharing printers, see the Windows Virtual PC content (Windows Virtual PC Evaluation Guide).

A redirected USB device can be used by only one operating system at a time, as mentioned in the following steps.

To redirect a USB device to a virtual machine:
  • Attach the device to the physical computer and turn on the device.
  • From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Attach device name. Windows looks for and tries to install the device driver in the guest operating system. You also can install the driver from the Internet or from a CD.
  • After the driver is installed, you can use the USB device from within the virtual machine the same way as you would on a physical computer. However, USB devices that are connected using these steps are not shared, so they must be released from one operating system to be available for use on the other operating system.
  • To make the USB device available on the host operating system, release it from the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Release device name.

To redirect a USB device to a virtual application, attach the device and turn it on, right-click the virtual application icon in the task bar of the host, and then click Manage USB devices. Then, choose the device.
Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Smsff7, do you not see it on the USB device list (see my post above)? When driver is not installed, it can be shown as Unidentified Device. Try to attach these one at a time and see if you can find the right one to start installing drivers.

This extract from XP Mode Help file:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Windows XP Mode Help
Windows Virtual PC supports the use of USB 2.0 devices by sharing the device or by redirecting it to the virtual machine. The method to use depends on the type of USB device. When the Integration Components package is installed in the guest operating system, printers, storage devices, and smart card readers that are attached to the host are automatically shared with virtual machines. When drivers are installed in both the host and guest, no additional steps are required to use these types of USB devices, except for printers. For more information about configuring and sharing printers, see the Windows Virtual PC content (Windows Virtual PC Evaluation Guide).

A redirected USB device can be used by only one operating system at a time, as mentioned in the following steps.

To redirect a USB device to a virtual machine:
  • Attach the device to the physical computer and turn on the device.
  • From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Attach device name. Windows looks for and tries to install the device driver in the guest operating system. You also can install the driver from the Internet or from a CD.
  • After the driver is installed, you can use the USB device from within the virtual machine the same way as you would on a physical computer. However, USB devices that are connected using these steps are not shared, so they must be released from one operating system to be available for use on the other operating system.
  • To make the USB device available on the host operating system, release it from the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Release device name.

To redirect a USB device to a virtual application, attach the device and turn it on, right-click the virtual application icon in the task bar of the host, and then click Manage USB devices. Then, choose the device.
Kari
I know about that. XP can see it and knows what it is, but the problem is that when I try to install the device with the disk it can't see any USB 2.0 ports and I can install the pprogram to run it because it can't find the device


Attached Thumbnails
Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device-error.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows xp mode in w7 help use usb device
Thread Forum
Custom device stages without testing mode Drivers
Virtual PC Integration Device - XP Mode Virtualization
Virtual XP Mode Unknown Device Virtualization
Force MSC mode on MTP device ? Fuji FinePix Z70 Hardware & Devices
USB device attach/ release in virtual XP mode Hardware & Devices
XP-only driver/device in Virtual XP Mode ? Possible ? Drivers
DVD device can't change to DMA mode Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33