Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do I need seperate anti virus for XP mode?


04 May 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 
Do I need seperate anti virus for XP mode?

XP mode say no anti virus but the win 7 is having the AV, do I need separate installation on XP?

Same for the graphic card
My XP mode is running on 16bit resolution do I install separate graphic card drivers if so then should I install x64 version of XP or 32 bit?

MY Windows 7 is x64 & so is the virtual machine but not sure about the XP is running in 32 bit or x64bit?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 May 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 -(Boot Camped Snow Leopard on a Mac Mini)
 
 

You'll need to install a separate AV for your virtualized XP running in Windows 7. Heard that on Paul Thurott's podcast this week.

Will let someone else handle your graphics driver question.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 May 2009   #3

Main OS: Windows 7 64 bit, Secondary: Vista 32 bit
 
 

a little off topic, but how much space does xp mode use on ur hdd?? Oh and if i uninstall it will i regain my space? This is important because i only have 25 gig left on my partition...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 May 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 

Quote:
This is important because i only have 25 gig left on my partition...
It depends how many software do you later need to install on XP mode, uninstalling will claim your space for sure.

Windows Virtual PC requires a computer with 2 GB of DRAM and 20 GB of free storage space for the creation of a virtual hard disk if the disk space is less then it would work but would be slow I guess. The XP Mode drop-in consumes 2 GB on its own, plus another 15 GB for virtual storage.

This link should help
Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #5

Main OS: Windows 7 64 bit, Secondary: Vista 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ranjan2001 View Post
It depends how many software do you later need to install on XP mode, uninstalling will claim your space for sure.

Windows Virtual PC requires a computer with 2 GB of DRAM and 20 GB of free storage space for the creation of a virtual hard disk if the disk space is less then it would work but would be slow I guess. The XP Mode drop-in consumes 2 GB on its own, plus another 15 GB for virtual storage.

This link should help
Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup
thanks for the link mate, but im a little confused. Does it use up 20 gigs when u install it, or only when u run it so that when u close it u regain ur space?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #6

Vista H.P. SP1 x32 Seven RC x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ranjan2001 View Post
XP mode say no anti virus but the win 7 is having the AV, do I need separate installation on XP?
Yes you should
Maybe can you try this:
Panda Cloud Antivirus FREE - The first free cloud antivirus against viruses, spyware, rootkits and adware
It's from the editor of Panda AV

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ranjan2001 View Post
Same for the graphic card
My XP mode is running on 16bit resolution do I install separate graphic card drivers if so then should I install x64 version of XP or 32 bit?

MY Windows 7 is x64 & so is the virtual machine but not sure about the XP is running in 32 bit or x64bit?
Of course it's a 32bit XP that run on the VM of the XP mode.
But XP mode should allready have the good driver for the VGA card of the VM, it's different to the card you have on your computer (I think it's a SIS or something like that).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #7

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

i found that if you Disable Integration Features, you can use the 32-bit color for the display. Enabling Integration Features limits you to 16-bit color.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 

I would like to know where in windows7 you Disable Integration services?
Or is it XP mode you have to do it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #9

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ranjan2001 View Post
I would like to know where in windows7 you Disable Integration services?
Or is it XP mode you have to do it?
once Windows Virtual XP is loaded make sure you're not viewing full screen and then from the Tools Menu, select Enable/Disable Integration Features..


Attached Thumbnails
Do I need seperate anti virus for XP mode?-image1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 build 7600
 
 

OK done that, it now run in 32bit mode when I changed it in the settings but strangely I cant install the nvidia driver it gives me this error with nvidia XP driver version 180.50.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Do I need seperate anti virus for XP mode?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33