|31 May 2010||#1|
| || |
Can't log in to XP Mode
I installed XP Mode to run an old application (made for Windows 3.1) that won't install on Windows 7.
It worked fine, and I was able to install and run that old application.
All was well until I got tired of entering the password every time. It's on a home computer, not a business computer, and we don't use a password to log into Windows 7. So I went into the account management control panel and changed the XPMUser password to blank (no password; emtpy string).
Now I can't log on to XP Mode.
What do I need to do to log into XP Mode? And, it is possible to use XP Mode without a password?
|My System Specs|
|31 May 2010||#2|
| || |
Found the solution
I found the solution, in case anyone else needs it:
Removed XP Mode password now cant login
In a nutshell:
1) Disable Integration Features (in the XP Mode window, choose Tools | Disable Integration Features).
2) Reboot the XP Mode, and go into the boot menu (press F8 repeatedly while it's booting).
3) In the boot menu, choose Safe Mode.
4) Log in as "Administrator" with no password (unless you had previously changed the Administrator password, in which case use the password you set for it).
(When I first clicked the OK button to login, I got a message about the virtual window taking control of the mouse. Then I had to click the OK button again.)
5) Go into the User Accounts Control Panel (Start | Control Panel | User Accounts.
6) Change the XPMUser account to have a password.
(The page I referenced above also had a step to go into an Advanced tab and set the password to never I expire. I didn't see that Advanced tab.)
7) Reboot the XP Mode window into normal mode, and log into XPMUser with the password you just set.
8) Enable Integration Features (in the XP Mode window, choose Tools | Enable Integration Features).
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Can't log in to XP Mode|
|Black screen at boot with safe mode, system restore, or repair mode||Backup and Restore|
|all good in safe mode, freezing in normal mode w/ occasional BSOD||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows doesn't login properly in normal mode but fine in safe mode||General Discussion|
|Explorer running slow in normal mode, fine in safe mode.?||Performance & Maintenance|
|BSOD in normal mode (various errors), Runs fine in Safe Mode||BSOD Help and Support|
|Windows Normal Mode Crashes to BSOD and Safe Mode doesn't load||BSOD Help and Support|
|Poor upload speed in normal mode, fine in safe mode||Network & Sharing|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.