Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virtualization broke for no apparent reason

19 Jun 2010   #1
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Virtualization broke for no apparent reason

Hey,

Well, I'm stumped. I use VirtualBox to virtualize several different OSes for support and development purposes, and for some reason since my last reboot (of the host) they have all stopped working. All the machines now give the following error within seconds of booting:

"An error has occurred during virtual machine execution! The error details are shown below. You may try to correct the error and resume the virtual machine execution.

Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM.

Error ID: HostMemoryLow
Severity: Non-Fatal Error"


The thing is, my memory ISN'T low. I usually have close to 6.75GB of RAM free at any one time. It doesn't seem to matter how low I set the virtual machines' RAM allocation, it always gives the error, with every machine.

Yeah, I could've posted this on the VirtualBox forums, but I'm not registered there, and the people here seem smarter. Sooo... any suggestions?

BTW I am using the absolute latest stable release of VirtualBox.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm having basically the same issue with Virtual PC, so it's definitely not a problem with VirtualBox itself.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jun 2010   #2
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I just updated to the latest beta of VirtualBox and the problem persists. This is really frustrating because I can't figure what I'm suddenly doing different to cause this. Any ideas? Things I should check?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #3
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

I'm sorry I have no fix for you. I can not understand why you get that message, with all the RAM you have available.

You could test if you can create a new vm and attach one of your vhd's from your problematic vm's to it, and see if it works. I'll keep searching and testing, I'll be back if I find something.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jun 2010   #4
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I'm sorry I have no fix for you. I can not understand why you get that message, with all the RAM you have available.

You could test if you can create a new vm and attach one of your vhd's from your problematic vm's to it, and see if it works. I'll keep searching and testing, I'll be back if I find something.

Kari
Thanks, your efforts are appreciated! I will try that suggestion ASAP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I would try 2 things:

1. do a system restore to an earlier point in time - even better pull in an earlier image if you have one
2. delete the 2 vBox files completely from the system and reinstall vBox. Keep nothing of the old vBox installation

It would be also interesting to know which process is issuing the error message. Here is how: Error Message - Where Does it Come From
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #6
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
I'm sorry I have no fix for you. I can not understand why you get that message, with all the RAM you have available.

You could test if you can create a new vm and attach one of your vhd's from your problematic vm's to it, and see if it works. I'll keep searching and testing, I'll be back if I find something.

Kari
Well the new VM I created came up with the same error. Unfortunately.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I would try 2 things:

1. do a system restore to an earlier point in time - even better pull in an earlier image if you have one
2. delete the 2 vBox files completely from the system and reinstall vBox. Keep nothing of the old vBox installation

It would be also interesting to know which process is issuing the error message. Here is how: Error Message - Where Does it Come From
I unfortunately cannot perform a system restore because I have other changes I have made on the PC since this error started that need to be preserved.

When you say to delete the current VBox completely, are you referring to the VMs as well? Cause I really need to keep at LEAST the VHDs intact if at all possible.

The error is being issued by VirtualBox.exe, the VirtualBox GUI.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #7
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Next thing to try is what Whs suggested, a complete removal and reinstall of VirtualBox. You don't have to delete vhd's, just the VirtualBox program files. I would use Revo Uninstaller.

After reinstalling VirtualBox, you can then create new vm's and attach existing vhd's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #8
huisinro

windows 7
 
 

try rename your .VirtualBox folder under your home dir. Then create a new vm, attaching an existing hard disk.

Not sure if this really fixes it, but worth trying. I sometimes noted weird behavior due to certain config files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jun 2010   #9
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huisinro View Post
try rename your .VirtualBox folder under your home dir. Then create a new vm, attaching an existing hard disk.

Not sure if this really fixes it, but worth trying. I sometimes noted weird behavior due to certain config files.
This didn't work, unfortunately cause it's much easier than reinstalling the program! On the bright side, we now know it has nothing to do with the config...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Next thing to try is what Whs suggested, a complete removal and reinstall of VirtualBox. You don't have to delete vhd's, just the VirtualBox program files. I would use Revo Uninstaller.

After reinstalling VirtualBox, you can then create new vm's and attach existing vhd's.
I will be trying this just as soon as I have the time (hopefully later today).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #10
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

OK, I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling VirtualBox, making sure to delete EVERYTHING except the VHDs, and it still won't work.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any more suggestions. I badly need this software to work again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Virtualization broke for no apparent reason




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Ransom BSOD's for no apparent reason/each one is different
For no apparent reason PC suddenly started BSOD'ing about 4 mos ago. The initial 50 or so referenced ntoskrnl.exe+75bcv0 but there were others in between randomizing it so that could not lock it down. Did Memtest86 etc. Memory is fine, ran tests on HDD everything was fine. Done every single thing I...
BSOD Help and Support
Can't hear any sound for no apparent reason
Hi guys, My computer audio was working fine yesterday. I left it on throughout the night but now all of a sudden, I can't hear anything from it. I've checked a few common problems that may occur but to no avail. I've tried checking the: - Sound level sliders and mute settings (placed all on...
Sound & Audio
BSOD all the time for no apparent reason
Hi I have a custom built PC Windows 7 x 64bit which just keeps freezing after a few minutes of using it for no apparent reason. Error message here any help appreciated because when it works its a cracking little PC :D Thanks in advance to all you very cleaver people.
BSOD Help and Support
Variable fan speeds for no apparent reason
A few weeks ago I had to replace my CPU fan as it was starting to rattle really badly and I decided to change it before it failed completely. Just before it started rattling, I noticed that it was also tending to run at a higher speed a lot more often than it normally did and I put it down to a...
Performance & Maintenance
debug.log on start-up for no apparent reason?
Corrupt Index file Unable to move the cache: 5 Unable to move cache folder C:\Users\Gideon\AppData\Local\Facebook\Messenger\fbmessenger.cache to C:\Users\Gideon\AppData\Local\Facebook\Messenger\old_fbmessenger.cache_000 Unable to create cache WinHttpGetProxyForUrl failed: 12167 Corrupt...
Software
BSODs for no apparent reason
BCCode: deaddead BCP1: 000000000F010012 BCP2: 00000000001C0410 BCP3: 0000000012BC0000 BCP4: 0000000000000000 OS Version: 6_1_7601
BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App