Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: CD player not found in VM


05 Jul 2010   #1

windows 7 professional
 
 
CD player not found in VM

How do I bring my cd player into the VM environment?
I loaded my favorite game while in VM and that went fine.
When I then tried to play the game, a pop-up box says
"cannot find cd player". How do I fix this?
btw, the game does not run in Windows 7.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2010   #2

W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
 
 

Can't answer your question

But I will tell you that you should let others know what type of VM you're using and what type of disc drive you have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doc47 View Post
How do I bring my cd player into the VM environment?
I loaded my favorite game while in VM and that went fine.
When I then tried to play the game, a pop-up box says
"cannot find cd player". How do I fix this?
btw, the game does not run in Windows 7.
Thanks
Hi Doc47,

Also let us know which game you're trying to load. Many of us here, use VM environments for the same reason and some games have protection against virtual drives.

-Timo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Jul 2010   #4

windows 7 professional
 
 
Disk drive not found

Thanks for the responses.
I'm using Windows virtual pc in XP mode.
the drive is a Sony SATA DVDRW and I'm trying to play Command and Conquer- Generals Zero Hour. I also ran a SecurAble scan that tells me my cpu is capable of hardware virtualization.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

In XP Mode settings, choose DVD drive and choose the drive you want to use from the drop down list. After this, the drive you chose is shown as a DVD/CD drive on My Computer in XP Mode.

Kari

Name:  XPM_DVD.png
Views: 11
Size:  61.3 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doc47 View Post
Thanks for the responses.
I'm using Windows virtual pc in XP mode.
the drive is a Sony SATA DVDRW and I'm trying to play Command and Conquer- Generals Zero Hour. I also ran a SecurAble scan that tells me my cpu is capable of hardware virtualization.
You shouldn't use XP Mode like that. You are playing the game through an RDP interface.

According to Microsoft, that game is compatible with Windows 7. No need to run it in XP Mode anyway.

Windows 7 Compatibility for Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour: EA. Drivers, Updates, Downloads
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
In XP Mode settings, choose DVD drive and choose the drive you want to use from the drop down list. After this, the drive you chose is shown as a DVD/CD drive on My Computer in XP Mode.

Kari

Attachment 83726
@doc47,
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I've been caught up for a few days.
In addition to Kari's post, you find the settings on the Tools Menu.

@JonM33 - I surmise that Doc47 wishes to separate the game from the OS install which is fair enough.


Attached Thumbnails
CD player not found in VM-xpmode.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CD player not found in VM




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33