Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Genuine bought OEM now "not genuine"

17 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Genuine bought OEM now "not genuine"

Hey guys,

I understand i'm new here and haven't made any posts yet, but I am in dire need for some unofficial tech help!

Basically have been running an OEM version of Windows 7 64-bit on a custom built machine (Possibly bought this from Amazon or another online retailer)
Recently i disposed of the retail box but kept a backup of the serial code on my computer, as I moved into my University accommodation and didn't need it.

So I boot up my PC after having windows 7 installed for at least 8 months or so, and my desktop is black with "this copy of windows is not genuine" (build 7600).
I rang Microsoft for an explanation and after being moved through 3 departments I was asked for my serial code and was told I had to buy a new code as this code was "MSDN" or something and was counterfeit. I tried explaining to the guy that i bought my OEM license from a reputable retailer (like I said, I think it's Amazon or possibly Play.com) but the only answer he'd give me is to buy a new copy, or to contact the retailer directly, and refused to pass me up to a supervisor.

How the heck am I supposed to demand a refund for a product they supplied to me 8 months ago?? I'm about to call them now but was hoping for any advice at all if possible whether its a number to call or soemthing I can check on my PC.

I would be so grateful for the help!
Thanks guys,

Tom

EDIT:
Sorry just to clarify,I haven't installed my OEM serial on any other machine, or updated my motherboard! :/ So I'm not sure why I'm having any queries about my machine not being genuine.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2010   #2

 

I would keep trying to get a supervisor on the line. The first tier of call center monkeys probably have to get approval from a supervisor anyway before they can tell anyone anything other than "buy a new key". It's possible that you were scammed into paying for a pirated or hacked windows disk. Some of the counterfeits I've seen pictures of can look legitimate until you compare them to the real thing, however, I think it's more likely that you ended up talking to a couple of douchebags who enjoy using what little power they have to ruin someone's day. Keep calling until you get someone with a little sense
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #3
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I do not quite understand - are you saying that you installed the OEM license on one system and later you used the same license on another system? If that is the case, you are out of luck. An OEM license has to stay with the system it was first installed and cannot ever be moved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Aug 2010   #4

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

I agree with madtownidiot. It's probably counterfeit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
I would keep trying to get a supervisor on the line. The first tier of call center monkeys probably have to get approval from a supervisor anyway before they can tell anyone anything other than "buy a new key". It's possible that you were scammed into paying for a pirated or hacked windows disk. Some of the counterfeits I've seen pictures of can look legitimate until you compare them to the real thing, however, I think it's more likely that you ended up talking to a couple of douchebags who enjoy using what little power they have to ruin someone's day. Keep calling until you get someone with a little sense
Thanks for your quick reply
I have just finished contacting Amazon, who told me there's no record of the purchase, so I will try another retailer tomorrow. I wish I remembered where I bought it from!
Yeah I'm going to have to ring back tomorrow as Support close at 6pm... which is ridiculous for me as I get home from work everyday at around 5:30pm and am expected to get through the queue and explain my dilemma before 6pm. Outrageous!
I was worrying about a counterfeit too, however the online place I bought it from (may have been Curry's now i think about it) is very well known and I can't believe that they would sell dodgy keys.
Thanks for the optimism! I really hope I can get through to a supervisor. I don't want to have to pay 133 for someone else's mistake!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I do not quite understand - are you saying that you installed the OEM license on one system and later you used the same license on another system? If that is the case, you are out of luck. An OEM license has to stay with the system it was first installed and cannot ever be moved.
Ah no sorry if I wasn't clear,
I only ever installed it once on my custom built system in January 2010. However it's only yesterday that my PC booted with the "this copy of windows is not genuine" message; a good 7 months or so after I bought it! I had also already validated it as soon as I installed it in January and there were no problems at all, so I'm at a loss to understand what has happened :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 - 64Bit Professional
 
 

The problem with "OEM" over "Retail", is when you activate it.

Once you activate an "OEM" copy of Windows, it "attaches" itself to the motherboard of the computer that you activate it on.

So what happens is, it stays locked to your old computer, even if you completely remove windows from it (and even possibly put a different version of windows on it).

So long story short,
- OEM can ONLY be installed on 1 computer EVER.
- Retail can be installed on as many computers as you want, as long as it is only activated on 1 computer at 1 time.


If you never moved it from the original computer, you can contact microsoft support (number should be somewhere on the OEM packaging, or microsoft website). They can reactivate it for you, as long as you had it activated on this computer before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #8
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom222 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I do not quite understand - are you saying that you installed the OEM license on one system and later you used the same license on another system? If that is the case, you are out of luck. An OEM license has to stay with the system it was first installed and cannot ever be moved.
Ah no sorry if I wasn't clear,
I only ever installed it once on my custom built system in January 2010. However it's only yesterday that my PC booted with the "this copy of windows is not genuine" message; a good 7 months or so after I bought it! I had also already validated it as soon as I installed it in January and there were no problems at all, so I'm at a loss to understand what has happened :/
Sorry I confused the issue. But from your original posting, that was not clear - at least not for me. Hope you can get your money back. It may be one of those licenses where the product key is only good for a few months. We have seen those before. I believe those were MSDN distributions for testing purposes. So the Microsoft guy may be right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The problem with "OEM" over "Retail", is when you activate it.

Once you activate an "OEM" copy of Windows, it "attaches" itself to the motherboard of the computer you activate it.

So what happens is, it stays locked to your old computer, even if you completely remove windows from it (and even possibly put a different version of windows on it).

So long story short,
- OEM can ONLY be installed on 1 computer EVER.
- Retail can be installed on as many computers as you want, as long as it is only activated on 1 computer at 1 time.


If you never moved it from the original computer, you can contact microsoft support (number should be somewhere on the OEM packaging, or microsoft website).
Hey Diehard, thanks for the reply
Yeah I may have been unclear, however I haven't used my OEM serial to install Windows 7 on any other machine, nor have I updated my motherboard or any other parts of my PC for that matter!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2010   #10

 

Just the fact that you bought it online, whatever the source, greatly increases the likelihood of having been scammed into buying a counterfeit copy. Had you bought it off the shelf at a retail store, there wouldn't even be a question of it's legitimacy, but I would bet 99 of 100 times when WAT flags an OEM install as non-genuine, it's a false alarm. I've personally seen "windows not genuine" messages from 11 computers that came from the factory preinstalled with windows 7 in the last few months. Zero your HDD and reinstall windows, then call to have it activated and tell them you had a HDD failure. F*ck em if they can't take a joke is what I say.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Genuine bought OEM now "not genuine"





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33