Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Windows 7 Update Continually Fails on Certain Updates

05 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows 7 Update Continually Fails on Certain Updates

I am having problems with Windows 7 performing updates. Failures outweigh successes. Virtually nothing will update. I have performed individual manual updates on all the problem updates and it goes thru the process or creating a restore point and then the progress bar shows it installing. It then reports a failure and the failure code is always the same - 8007371B. The updates which fail are: KB2467659, KB2443685, KB 2447568, KB2416400 and successes are KB2416472, KB947821, KB915597.

I have tried the using the System Update Readiness Tool and no errors were reported.

Tried Microsoft Fix it 50202 and manual reset windows update components.

I have tried re-registering DLL with no positive results.

I went to Dell who said they didn’t have the expertise to fix the problem and referred me to their business partner – Gizmo – who guarantee “No Fix No Fee”. Gizmo spent about two hours and gave up and said re-install.

My research on the WEB and thoughout this site have come up with many hints/possible solutions but I have drawn a blank.

I have attached the window log files CBS Attachment 129465

Can anyone help? I don't really want to go down the path of a reinstall.

Thanks

Max

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jan 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Go to history and make sure that they are not already installed
Make sure that the updates are applicable to your system and software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Go to history and make sure that they are not already installed
Make sure that the updates are applicable to your system and software.
All updated are applicable and are still marked as failed.

I have downloaded "OutlookTimeZoneMove.exe" and "Windows6.1-KB2443685-x64.msu" but have not run them yet. Thought I would wait for response to my early plea.

Thanks

Max
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jan 2011   #4

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

According to this CBS log, the failing packages are at least partially installed (checks are coming back with "applicability: installed"). Can you do this - stop the windows updates service, download one of the above packages that is failing manually, and attempt to install it manually. When it fails, copy and upload the cbs.log (only need that one file) and then restart the WU service.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
According to this CBS log, the failing packages are at least partially installed (checks are coming back with "applicability: installed"). Can you do this - stop the windows updates service, download one of the above packages that is failing manually, and attempt to install it manually. When it fails, copy and upload the cbs.log (only need that one file) and then restart the WU service.
Thanks for responding.

I have downloaded and run Windows6.1-KB2443685-x64.msu and attached the log file. It did fail.

Thanks

Max


CBS_log.zip


My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2011   #6

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

Wow - it appears that the state of the Side-by-Side cache (SxS) is in an inconsistent state:
Code:
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Error                 CBS    Exec: Failed to commit CSI transaction to execute changes. [HRESULT = 0x8007371b - ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE]
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Info                  CSI    00000024@2011/1/6:23:55:06.783 CSI Transaction @0x1b6e550 destroyed
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Info                  CBS    Perf: InstallUninstallChain complete.
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Info                  CBS    Failed to execute execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x8007371b - ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE]
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x8007371b - ERROR_SXS_TRANSACTION_CLOSURE_INCOMPLETE]
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_KB2443685~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0, status: 0x8007371b, failure source: Execute, start state: Staged, target state: Installed, client id: WindowsUpdateAgent
2011-01-07 07:55:06, Info                  CBS    Failed to query DisableWerReporting flag.  Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
It loops looking through prerequisites over, and over, and over, and then finally gives up here.

At this point, I need you to run checksur.exe again, to make sure it says there are no errors. This will create 2 new checksur*.log files in your CBS folder, which will give more information about what is going on. However, it appears you're missing files from your SxS folder, so the updates may be installed wholly or partially, but the system is unable to verify this with the CBS engine. If checksur.exe finds no errors, you are going to have real problems fixing this if you don't have a restore point or image you can go back to before this was happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
At this point, I need you to run checksur.exe again, to make sure it says there are no errors. This will create 2 new checksur*.log files in your CBS folder, which will give more information about what is going on. However, it appears you're missing files from your SxS folder, so the updates may be installed wholly or partially, but the system is unable to verify this with the CBS engine. If checksur.exe finds no errors, you are going to have real problems fixing this if you don't have a restore point or image you can go back to before this was happening.
Attachment 129831

Looks like I am up the creek without a paddle. I think the rot set in when Dell attempted a restore which went wrong and I had to reconstruct my drive.

A re-install looks like the only way out. Thanks anyway. I appreciate you input.

Regards

Max
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2011   #8

Windows Server 2008 R2
 
 

I think part of the problem is you have a mix of Windows 7 SP1 RC components here in CBS as well - the servicing stack says it's loading version 6.1.7601.17105 of cbscore.dll, which is the SP1 RC build number. I'm guessing you had 7 SP1 RC on here at one point before the restore, perhaps. In any case, you are indeed looking at a rebuild, and I think trying the SP1 RC did more harm than good in some way with the CBS and SxS components.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2011   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cluberti View Post
I think part of the problem is you have a mix of Windows 7 SP1 RC components here in CBS as well - the servicing stack says it's loading version 6.1.7601.17105 of cbscore.dll, which is the SP1 RC build number. I'm guessing you had 7 SP1 RC on here at one point before the restore, perhaps. In any case, you are indeed looking at a rebuild, and I think trying the SP1 RC did more harm than good in some way with the CBS and SxS components.
I don't know but I did a restore back in late Oct 2010 based on advice from DELL tech support. Ever since then, weird things have been happening.

Long and short of it all is, I have reinstalled completely.

By the way, I used a Western Digital USB MyBook Elite - automatic backup. Don't trust it. Fortunately I did two backups and the WD failed in many areas.

Thanks for the help. Appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jan 2011   #10

xp
 
 

Can anyone tell me the path checksur.exe is installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Update Continually Fails on Certain Updates





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Update Continually Fails on Certain Updates
Thread Forum
Windows Update Fails To Install Updates, NSIS Error, Can't Download Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 update continually failing Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Update fails to update when running updates Windows Updates & Activation
Update error 80070002. Repair Install fails, wants updates. CBS log. Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Windows update fails to install updates (Error 66A, 8007006E) Windows Updates & Activation
Windows updates continually fail and revert on reboot Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Windows Update fails to download updates after crash BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33