Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Trojans in Updates???

19 Jan 2011   #1
Willowhoop

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600)
 
 
Trojans in Updates???

Hi guys,
Today I downloaded my important updates and a couple of suggested ones.
Since rebooting the PC to activate them, I have had Avast (paid version) sending quite a few of the updates into quarantine, stating that they have trojans attached. Below is the only info I can find for you. Let me know how to access other info you may need please.



Thanks & cheers
Willow


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jan 2011   #2
NYKO

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

Man your pc looks infected sugest you all soo scan with online bitdefender or another program to be sure it's clean, try all soo the iobit 360, it's a free soofter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #3
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Hi Willow,

Where did you get these updates from? Are these Windows updates? If so, they are unlikely to contain trojans.

You might want to also scan your system more thoroughly now with the following:

Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

Also download, install and run Malwarebytes

Let us know where you got these updates from ASAP.

Regards,
Golden
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2011   #4
Willowhoop

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600)
 
 

I got notification from window update itself guys, went to the microsoft site from the update link to see what was being recommended and what was on the optional list. Is this a false site???? OMG you have me really scared now.

Here's the image of where I got the notification from :

My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #5
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

No, no need to panic. Its all good.

Just to give you some comfort, if you click on the two important updates, a list will come up : take screen capture of that list and post it here. Does it look similar to this one?


Attached Thumbnails
Trojans in Updates???-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #6
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

I have a strong suspicion this is a false positive, but I've just trawled the AVAST forums and cant find an issue related to the Windows updates. We really need an experienced AVAST user to help out here, to see if they have experienced similar issues, and if they know how to fix it.

In the meantime please do the following in this order:

1. Scan your PC using that ESET link I posted earlier.
2. If the ESET scan comes up clean, then ensure that AVAST and its database are up to date.
3. Try to download the Windows updates again.

Post back with the results.

Regards,
Golden

*** EDIT : in the AVAST blocking window is the process quoted called CSC.EXE, as shown in this image below.

*** EDIT2 : The AVAST forums have a lot of messages about suspected false positives several times a day related to strangely named .dll's. It appears that the culprit may be this CSC.EXE process. See here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=69690.0

Lets see what other forum members can add.


Attached Images
Trojans in Updates???-capture.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #7
Willowhoop

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
No, no need to panic. Its all good.

Just to give you some comfort, if you click on the two important updates, a list will come up : take screen capture of that list and post it here. Does it look similar to this one?
Done, and yes it does look like yours

My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #8
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Yep - you have the same update as me awaiting too KB976902 10.2MB.

Try those 3 steps I outlined above, and then report back. I'm going to ask Corinne (one of the resident security experts) to have a look at this too. Please follow all her instructions.

Regards,
Golden

EDIT : I've asked Corinne to have a look at this when she gets some time. Please be patient as she may be busy with other things. We will sort you out - dont' worry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #9
Willowhoop

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I have a strong suspicion this is a false positive, but I've just trawled the AVAST forums and cant find an issue related to the Windows updates. We really need an experienced AVAST user to help out here, to see if they have experienced similar issues, and if they know how to fix it.

In the meantime please do the following in this order:

1. Scan your PC using that ESET link I posted earlier.
2. If the ESET scan comes up clean, then ensure that AVAST and its database are up to date.
3. Try to download the Windows updates again.

Post back with the results.

Regards,
Golden

*** EDIT : in the AVAST blocking window is the process quoted called CSC.EXE, as shown in this image below.

*** EDIT2 : The AVAST forums have a lot of messages about suspected false positives several times a day related to strangely named .dll's. It appears that the culprit may be this CSC.EXE process. See here Win32:Malware-gen popping up

Lets see what other forum members can add.
Yes that image you have attached is the same as the ones I have had coming up. I haven't had time to snip and save them. I have been keeping everything updated. My Avast says that it is up to date and yet there is another red box popping up saying that the last update was unable to complete?? I have been looking into it, but I'm not having much luck as I really don't know what I am looking for, hence being here and asking. I never do anything I don't understand without asking first. Most of the time its logical and I can figure it out... this one has me a little perplexed, to say the least. I'll do some more prowling around and keep you posted too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2011   #10
Willowhoop

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Willowhoop View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
I have a strong suspicion this is a false positive, but I've just trawled the AVAST forums and cant find an issue related to the Windows updates. We really need an experienced AVAST user to help out here, to see if they have experienced similar issues, and if they know how to fix it.

In the meantime please do the following in this order:

1. Scan your PC using that ESET link I posted earlier.
2. If the ESET scan comes up clean, then ensure that AVAST and its database are up to date.
3. Try to download the Windows updates again.

Post back with the results.

Regards,
Golden

*** EDIT : in the AVAST blocking window is the process quoted called CSC.EXE, as shown in this image below.

*** EDIT2 : The AVAST forums have a lot of messages about suspected false positives several times a day related to strangely named .dll's. It appears that the culprit may be this CSC.EXE process. See here Win32:Malware-gen popping up

Lets see what other forum members can add.
Yes that image you have attached is the same as the ones I have had coming up. I haven't had time to snip and save them. I have been keeping everything updated. My Avast says that it is up to date and yet there is another red box popping up saying that the last update was unable to complete?? I have been looking into it, but I'm not having much luck as I really don't know what I am looking for, hence being here and asking. I never do anything I don't understand without asking first. Most of the time its logical and I can figure it out... this one has me a little perplexed, to say the least. I'll do some more prowling around and keep you posted too.
Just managed to catch one for you

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Trojans in Updates???




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSODs maybe caused by Trojans
Previous thread on BSODs: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/300751-bsod-0x0000000a-0x000000c2-0x00000019-most-common-0x00000024.html I removed F-secure and installed Security Essentials and MBAM. So far, Security Essentials scan finished and found two threats; ...
System Security
Possible Trojans - win64cert.dll and win32cert.dll
Hello all I have noticed these 2 files (win64cert.dll and win32cert.dll) during my regular maintenance and have not been able to find any information other than they are possible trogan files. They were first noticed on the 10/12 2012. They are stored in the pc in a very unusual way such...
System Security
ESE Found Trojans
C:\Users\Jerry W. \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\1AM4LT8F\AccountReview (2).htmL HTML/Phishing.Gen trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined C:\Users\Jerry W. \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet...
System Security
Trojans
My wife has an exploit trojan virus on her win7 32 system, and we are trying to locate and delete the problem. any suggestions, perhaps some file list to go off of, I am not very savvy, and do not have money for a tech
System Security
Trojans in Firefox Add-ons
This is a Google translation of parts of an article I found in a German publication: Mozilla has discovered two labeled as experimental add-ons for the browser Firefox, which contain dangerous malware. Version 4.0 of Sothink Web Video Downloader is therefore Win32.LdPinch.gen infected with a...
System Security
Trojans?
anybody had any problems? i got a trojan within the first 24-48 hours and it caused and endless sand time curser so i couldn't do anything i had to use evasive manouvers
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App