Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows update not working

30 Jan 2011   #1
GoldiLX

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Windows update not working

When i click on check for updates it would flash to this one error that was red and then it would go away in 3 seconds. after hitting it a couple of times i finally got what it said:
Windows could not search for new updates. Windows update encountered an unknown error. C8000710
Then after that i would click ok and then another error would pop up and it said:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755



So if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate the time and effort.

GoldiLX



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jan 2011   #2
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Try this first.

Click Start orb, then type %temp%. Delete all files.

In Internet Explorer click Tools on the toolbar - Internet Options - General tab - and under Browsing History click the Delete button then click Delete Files.

Now try updating again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #3
GoldiLX

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Try this first.

Click Start orb, then type %temp%. Delete all files.

In Internet Explorer click Tools on the toolbar - Internet Options - General tab - and under Browsing History click the Delete button then click Delete Files.

Now try updating again.
thanks for the reply. whats orb?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2011   #4
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GoldiLX View Post
When i click on check for updates it would flash to this one error that was red and then it would go away in 3 seconds. after hitting it a couple of times i finally got what it said:
Windows could not search for new updates. Windows update encountered an unknown error. C8000710
Then after that i would click ok and then another error would pop up and it said:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755



So if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate the time and effort.

GoldiLX
Disk space low or permissions screwed up. Try this: open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sageset:1" (without the quotes), press enter. Check all options and press OK. Then open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sagerun:1", let it complete, reboot, retry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #5
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

The round Start button at the bottom left corner of your screen with the windows logo on it and that flashes when you hover over it (unless modified beyond recognition) and that brings up the start menu when you click it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #6
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The round Start button at the bottom left corner of your screen with the windows logo on it and that flashes when you hover over it (unless modified beyond recognition) and that brings up the start menu when you click it.
How about the cleanmgr approach to do both temp cleanup and installer cleanup at the same time? Any thoughts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #7
GoldiLX

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GoldiLX View Post
When i click on check for updates it would flash to this one error that was red and then it would go away in 3 seconds. after hitting it a couple of times i finally got what it said:
Windows could not search for new updates. Windows update encountered an unknown error. C8000710
Then after that i would click ok and then another error would pop up and it said:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755




So if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate the time and effort.


GoldiLX
Disk space low or permissions screwed up. Try this: open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sageset:1" (without the quotes), press enter. Check all options and press OK. Then open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sagerun:1", let it complete, reboot, retry.
i don't have a "start" button. i have "run". i'm sorry i'm not following.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #8
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GoldiLX View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GoldiLX View Post
When i click on check for updates it would flash to this one error that was red and then it would go away in 3 seconds. after hitting it a couple of times i finally got what it said:
Windows could not search for new updates. Windows update encountered an unknown error. C8000710
Then after that i would click ok and then another error would pop up and it said:

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2755




So if anyone can help with this i would really appreciate the time and effort.


GoldiLX
Disk space low or permissions screwed up. Try this: open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sageset:1" (without the quotes), press enter. Check all options and press OK. Then open the start menu, type "cleanmgr sagerun:1", let it complete, reboot, retry.
i don't have a "start" button. i have "run". i'm sorry i'm not following.
What is the name of the operating system you have installed on your computer? "Open the start menu" means that you either press the Windows logo key on your keyboard, if present or click the blue spherical windows logo button in the lower left corner of your screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #9
baarod

El Capitan / Windows 10
 
 

Any luck?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2011   #10
GoldiLX

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by baarod View Post
Any luck?
Nope, i did what Bill2 told me to do and i restarted and nothing happened.

i have been seeing these messages (as Bill2 said) low on disk space?

i did a chkdsk and went to my hard drive properties and cleaned it up and defragged. i also tried to do sfc /scannow and responded with an error saying it cannot run this program? that has never happened.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows update not working




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internet not working, windows update, ping, DNS, etc. working fine
Hello, I've got a Dell laptop here that isn't functioning properly. I can't get this to work for the life of me! I am currently using this laptop with a different hard drive, it's the install on the SSD that doesn't work. I know that the quick fix would be to simply reload windows, but I don't...
Network & Sharing
Windows update is not working
Hello. At first(some weeks ago), windows update couldn't search automatically for updates and when I was trying to update manually I was getting error 80080005. I didn't manage to fix the problem, and now when manually checking for updates, it never finishes(its stuck at 'checking for updates')....
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update is not working/Update Readiness Tool won't install
Win 7 64 Windows Update not working (post migration), nor is Windows Update Readiness tool installing. I have renamed catroot and stopped services, nothing working. I just migrated HD to a hybrid solid state (Seagate Momentus). I had this problem both with Acronis 2009 and Acronis 2013, and...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update not working
Hi, I have an issue with windows update and from what I can tell the problems seem to be related to the windows update components on my lap top. At the moment I cannot install any windows updates. I tried numerous things to get the updates working but I do not think the updates themselves are the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update not working.
Hi, i've been unable to do a windows update, it simply doesn't start and gives me an error message. When I tried SFC/SCANNOW in the command prompt, the scan completed and I got: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them. So that's about where I got to.
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Not working :(
Hi everyone, I noticed today when running windows update it will just go straight to sayin explorer is restarting, so I cannot actually open up windows update to get any updates for my Win 7. Can anyone help me out here. I have posted a screenshot of the error. Thanks
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App