Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Error Code 800736B3 on SP1 Update


23 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 
Error Code 800736B3 on SP1 Update

I have lurked in this forum in the past - always finding answers. Thanks to all the experts contributing to this forum.

This time I joined so I could post, as I have been unable to find a solution to my problem.

I can install all updates except for SP1. I keep getting error 800736B3.

I ran the Update Troubleshooter, which claims to have repaired Win Update components - still same error.

I then successfully ran the hotfix KB947821. The same error occurs.

I ran sfc /scannow & no integrity violations were found.

I also tried again after a clean boot - same error.

I don't have a clue as to what to try now. Any suggestions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Feb 2011   #2
Nem

Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1, Archlinux x86_64. Elementary Luna
 
 

Try reading here

Hopefully stuff in there will help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Thanks, Nem, but they suggest all the things I've already listed/tried in my post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Feb 2011   #4

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Hi, TBoyd.

I don't believe that the Update Troubleshooter is quite the same as the Microsoft Fixit to reset the Windows Update components. I suggest you give that a try.

Make sure your computer is malware free. If you are on a laptop, be connected to an electric outlet, not wireless. Temporarily disable your firewall, antivirus and other security software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Hi, TBoyd.

I don't believe that the Update Troubleshooter is quite the same as the Microsoft Fixit to reset the Windows Update components. I suggest you give that a try.

Make sure your computer is malware free. If you are on a laptop, be connected to an electric outlet, not wireless. Temporarily disable your firewall, antivirus and other security software.
PC is malware free. I'm only running MS Security Essentials & all is OK. I already installed SP1 on my laptop & had no problems.

I finally downloaded the huge SP1 exe file from MS & attempted a manual install (ran as admin). It went about 60% of the way & then got an "Installation was not successful" message - prompting me to install the "check for system update readiness" tool - KB947821. I did that & the install was successful for KB947821.

I then tried installing SP1 again & got the same message. Both failed instances came up with a new error code - 0x800f081f

I am really tired of dealing with this. I've always kept my PC in top condition & all other updates have installed with no problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #6

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Hi, TBoyd.

Have you used vLite or a similar program in the past? That program resulted in the 0x800f081f error with Windows Vista SPs and is also mentioned as an issue with Windows 7 SP1. See You do not have the option of downloading Windows 7 SP1 when you use Windows Update to check for updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 
Another interesting note....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Hi, TBoyd.

Have you used vLite or a similar program in the past? That program resulted in the 0x800f081f error with Windows Vista SPs and is also mentioned as an issue with Windows 7 SP1. See You do not have the option of downloading Windows 7 SP1 when you use Windows Update to check for updates
Hi Corrine

I've never used vLite. I do have the option of downloading SP1 when checking for updates. It always remains at 0%. That's why I tried the manual install from MS.

(I just edited & deleted my comment in this post that SP1 was successful on Windows 7 32 bit running on a virtual disc on the same PC. I was wrong - It was unsuccessful with the same error.)

Has anyone out there with a virtual disc on their PC had success installing SP1? I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #8

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

I did see something on virtual disc when I was researching another problem. Let me see if I can find it again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #9

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate
 
 

Hi, TBoyd.

I've had so many topics open, I wasn't certain I could locate the discussion I saw earlier today. Here is the solution posted for VirtualPC install error:

Quote:
Option 1
Windows 7 is hard coded to allow 14 filter drivers, but the following registry sets the limit to 8 by default. You can adjust the amount up to 14 or delete this key and it will be set to max of 14.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters
Option 2
Remove some filter driver from nacpl.cpl --> Chose network Properties --> Select and filter --> Uninstall
**Note** Not all networking filters are listed under nacpl.cpl, so application may need to be completely uninstalled (i.e. personal firewalls)
From Cannot Install SP1 0x80004005 - E_FAIL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Feb 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 
Gave it a try....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
Hi, TBoyd.

I've had so many topics open, I wasn't certain I could locate the discussion I saw earlier today. Here is the solution posted for VirtualPC install error:

Quote:
Option 1
Windows 7 is hard coded to allow 14 filter drivers, but the following registry sets the limit to 8 by default. You can adjust the amount up to 14 or delete this key and it will be set to max of 14.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters
Option 2
Remove some filter driver from nacpl.cpl --> Chose network Properties --> Select and filter --> Uninstall
**Note** Not all networking filters are listed under nacpl.cpl, so application may need to be completely uninstalled (i.e. personal firewalls)
From Cannot Install SP1 0x80004005 - E_FAIL
Thanks, Corrine.

I changed the MaxNumFilters value to 14, but still no go.

I finally emailed MS Support for the first time in years. Just to recap, here is the body of my email to them:

"I have been trying for 3 days to install SP1. It appears in my available updates. All other updates install EXCEPT SP1. The download never goes further than 0% & I get error code 800736B3 every time. I ran the Win Update Troubleshooter & it claims to have repaired WinUpdate components. I re-checked for updates & attempted again - I still get the same error. After more research, I downloaded & successfully installed the hotfix KB947821, but I STILL have the same problem.

I then downloaded the SP1 from Microsoft's site (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe) and ran as administrator. The installation progresses for about 15 minutes & then I get a message box stating "Installation was not successful", and suggests that I run the KB947821 hotfix - Which I have run MANY times & it was successfully installed. The "Installation not successful" message also has a NEW error code - 0x800f081f. I searched MS for this error code & have found NOTHING.

My Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS has been stable & have had no problems with any other updates. I have THOROUGHLY researched this problem & posted in MS Community - but no answers. Now I am going to the SOURCE for the answer. I have a feeling that if I just ignore this huge update, I will miss out on future updates from MS.

PLEASE - I need a valid solution & no "canned responses" referring me to proposed solutions on the MS website, as I have explored your site for answers, but have come up empty. If there is an answer to my specific problem on your site, it has been well-hidden!

Please take time to read the details of my problem carefully. I am looking to you to give me an answer & please don't tell me I have to perform a re-install!"

I can't wait to read their reply! This should be good. I'll have to post it when it comes in.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Error Code 800736B3 on SP1 Update




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Error Code 800736B3 on SP1 Update
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Update failing with Error codes: 8007371B, 800736B3, 80070246 Windows Updates & Activation
Tried many things, still error 800736B3 Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Update for Windows Update Error Code 800700B7 Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update fails in Update Check. Error code C80003FA. Windows Updates & Activation
error code 800736B3 installing SP1 Windows Updates & Activation
trying to use update KB980182 gives code 800736B3?!?!?! Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 updates failing with error code 800736B3 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33