Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Activation


13 Mar 2011   #11

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Considering your hardware listed in your specs, Windows 7 prof student prices is a great investment as it can always be moved to another computer or upgrade MB & CPU.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Mar 2011   #12

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Considering your hardware listed in your specs, Windows 7 prof student prices is a great investment as it can always be moved to another computer or upgrade MB & CPU.
If I could move it to another PC, do I need to deactivate it in the older PC? Otherwise, what's stopping me to install Win 7 Prof in multiple PCs?

I'm thinking alone the line of iTunes authorize/deauthorize a computer. I guess Windows doesn't do that. Is it an honor system thingy?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #13

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Considering your hardware listed in your specs, Windows 7 prof student prices is a great investment as it can always be moved to another computer or upgrade MB & CPU.
If I could move it to another PC, do I need to deactivate it in the older PC? Otherwise, what's stopping me to install Win 7 Prof in multiple PCs?

I'm thinking alone the line of iTunes authorize/deauthorize a computer. I guess Windows doesn't do that. Is it an honor system thingy?
Yes, it can be deactivated. Or it may take a call to Microsoft to explain that you have moved it to a new computer or replaced with a new MB. Their smart online checking of your product key can detect if used on multiple PC's
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Mar 2011   #14

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

No theres no such thing as "deactivating" - just uninstall it completely on the older PC. What'll stop you from using the same retail key on multiple computers is online activation. When you activate online, the key gets tied to a hardware hash unique to that computer, frequent and significant hardware changes will trip MS's piracy alarms.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

How do you uninstall an OS?

I mean, normally you would just reformat.

But yeah, if they tied it to the computer and subsequent activation will check it, I guess that's smart.

So, do they tie it to CPU or the mobo? What's consider a new PC? New mobo?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #16

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by habibi View Post
How do you uninstall an OS?

I mean, normally you would just reformat.

But yeah, if they tied it to the computer and subsequent activation will check it, I guess that's smart.

So, do they tie it to CPU or the mobo? What's consider a new PC? New mobo?
Habibi, if you're going on to dissect every single word, your education stops right now.

Ya, they tie it to several components, most important being the mobo. For MS, a new mobo IS a new PC, you can tinker with other the other ingredients.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #17
Microsoft MVP

 

If you own a Vista or XP license which either came with the same computer (OEM), or is retail and therefore can migrate, then you qualify to use Upgrade version on that machine whether the qualifying OS is installed now.

However, you'll likely need to do the quick registry workaround which Doc Brown previously posted to get an Upgrade version key to work, unless the current Pro install was installed over Vista/XP and saw the previous install when it was booted or run.

Try inserting the Product Key at Computer>Properties. If it rejects it, then do the workaround given in the tutorial: Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version

If you want to move the installation to another computer and it also qualifies for Upgrade version, then Sysprep the HD in the old machine then move it or it's image to the new hardware before activating: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #18

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you want to move the installation to another computer and it also qualifies for Upgrade version, then Sysprep the HD in the old machine then move it or it's image to the new hardware before activating: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
Not quite sure what your trying to say here...

update: i should have read your link, thank you so much!
Unless my brother decides to give me a key, I will be planning on getting the upgrade version. So, if the key doesn't work just by entering it in system properties, The workaround is proven to work every time?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #19

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

The Windows 7 Prof at the student discount price is a great deal for you. Reg price at TigerDirect is $199.00

Plus here at SevenForums you get FREE 24/7 Tech support

I think out team of Guru's have about a 99% success rate with new users as long as they don't give up trying our ideas
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2011   #20

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

alright. and if i have any problems, im always a member here... so thanks guys! i appreciate all your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Activation




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Activation
Thread Forum
W7 activation -- new MOBO fine but LAN connection wants activation Windows Updates & Activation
windows 7 activation fix Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 activation Windows Updates & Activation
Re-activation of Windows 7 OEM. Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Activation! Windows Updates & Activation
Windows activation Windows Updates & Activation
windows 7 activation Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33