Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Activation Blues...

17 Jul 2009   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 
Activation Blues...

Hello friends...

In the past week we have seen major chatter going on in the forums (mostly the three leak threads...) and a good majority of the repeat questions is ...please help me activate!!!!...but what folks might not realize is that is it even necessary? This thread is to clarify what activation actually does for you on beta versions of Windows 7 and whether it really is worth it...
What Activation Provides
Windows is Geniune
Windows will last until the expire date (no re-arm necessary)
The thought of knowing your Windows is activated...
What Not Activating Still Leaves You
A fully functional OS that can be rearmed for up to 120 days of usage
Even when non activated...as long as the OS has not been tampered with it will still pass WGA (I have confirmed this myself many times)

So as you can see the only huge advantage here with activating is peace of mind and no OS reinstallation after 120 days. As of today (July 17)...if you re-arm 7600 for example that will get you to the GA of Windows 7.

So folks remember this post the next time you want to activate...is it worth it after all (at least untill you get a retail copy of the OS...)

Note   Note
This thread is for the talk of activation in general...any talks of cracks and their methods will likely get you a ban from the MODS...PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jul 2009   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane2424 View Post
Note   Note
This thread is for the talk of activation in general...any talks of cracks and their methods will likely get you a ban from the MODS...PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!!
Just to add to the statement posted above.

Over the last few days every time the staff have tried to play fair and just issue warnings or edit posts, they have been met with abuse in almost every occasion, I will not stand for anybody abusing our excellent staff who give there time for free to help out this community.

I will make this nice and clear -
Asking for a crack = Ban
Giving links to crack = Ban
Discussing how to crack = Ban
Giving abuse to staff = Ban
Discussion of re-arm method = OK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #3

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
Just to add to the statement posted above.

Over the last few days every time the staff have tried to play fair and just issue warnings or edit posts, they have been met with abuse in almost every occasion, I will not stand for anybody abusing our excellent staff who give there time for free to help out this community.

I will make this nice and clear -
Asking for a crack = Ban
Giving links to crack = Ban
Discussing how to crack = Ban
Giving abuse to staff = Ban
Discussion of re-arm method = OK
phew (wipes brow) escaped that one
But the topic is a bit invitational however, one must admit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Jul 2009   #4

7600 x86
 
 

once RTM is out in the wild, 3 re-arms will be plenty to carry us through to late October

my only concern is that i pre-ordered the N version, so i don't know if the key i will get on the 22nd will actually activate whatever RTM version i'm able to install. but in the end, if i have to download N and do a clean install, it's not the end of the world.

it's been a great ride so far, but i'm ready for it to be over!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Just out of pure interest; is the re-arm mathod not seen to be a 'get-around'; and therefor also effectivly a 'crack' ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #6

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
Just out of pure interest; is the re-arm mathod not seen to be a 'get-around' for the activation process, ane therefor also effectivly a 'crack' ?
The re-arm method is one that is published by Microsoft themselves so must be fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

That's very interesting. I wonder why they built that capability in? I can't really see any benefit of it other than allowing non legitimate users to use the product for an extra 90 days. Just seems a bit strange..

Anybody have any ideas as to why the re-arm option exists?

cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #8

Windows 7 PRO x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog View Post
That's very interesting. I wonder why they built that capability in? I can't really see any benefit of it other than allowing non legitimate users to use the product for an extra 90 days. Just seems a bit strange..

Anybody have any ideas as to why the re-arm option exists?

cheers
For people that dont have internet access cant activate, in turn this was made. Sence MS made 7100 public, people would get it and say, install it at a different location with no net.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

So what do they do after 120 days then?

Get the internet i suppose lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2009   #10

Windows® 8 Pro (64-bit)
 
 

The re-arm method was 1st found on technet hence its allowed.
Lets make it clear guys, this forum is to help people with their issues with windows 7 and not to illegally crack windows 7 and use it without license or something like that. Lets maintain the discipline.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Activation Blues...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Activation Blues...
Thread Forum
Post set-up blues General Discussion
Trying to shake the BSOD blues BSOD Help and Support
blue screen blues BSOD Help and Support
Is My Machine Feeling The Blues? General Discussion
BSD Blues BSOD Help and Support
2 640g blacks on R0, 2 500g blues or 2 640g blues? Hardware & Devices
DVD Blues Media Center

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33