Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Re-activation


23 Jul 2009   #1

Vista Home Premium + Windows7 RC
 
 
Re-activation

If one has Windows 7 RC in use with a RC-productkey, is it possible to change the productkey to the 'official' one (after 22-10) in order to obtain a legal OS?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jul 2009   #2
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Henks, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm sorry, but you will not be able to use a retail (RTM) product key for pre-retail versions (RC or Beta) versions of Windows 7.

Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #3

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
re-activation

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Henks View Post
If one has Windows 7 RC in use with a RC-productkey, is it possible to change the productkey to the 'official' one (after 22-10) in order to obtain a legal OS?
If you are asking if your RC key will work on RTM or later no it will not. If you purchase win 7 you will get a new key that will make your OS "legal"

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Jul 2009   #4

Windows 7 7264x64(main), 7260x86(secendary), XP SP3 Triple Boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Henks, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm sorry, but you will not be able to use a retail (RTM) product key for pre-retail versions (RC or Beta) versions of Windows 7.

Shawn
hmm brink doesn't build 7264 and higher accept RTM keys? if it doesn't what keys should be used with it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #5

Windows 7 7100 x64
 
 

Anything after 7264 theoretically has the final activation code in it, but it's a fair bet that microsoft activation will deny activation for those builds with an official public RTM key. Besides, anything pre-RTM will be missing a bunch of bugfixes and tweaks (like the RC) so you'd want to do a clean install with the final RTM build anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #6
PotatoMan83

 

yeah..if u got a final product key why would u want to use it on an unfinihsed product rather than the final deal? Is it more compatable to your pc than the "supposed" final?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #7

Vista Home Premium + Windows7 RC
 
 

I have installed my Flight Simulator with Win 7 RC1 as OS. Of course i'l buy the Win 7 after 22-10, but to avoid re-installation of the FS (60 GB) it should be fine to use the RC1-OS with the (buyed) productkey
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jul 2009   #8
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Henks,

Sorry, but the retail (RTM) key will not work on a RC or Beta build of Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #9

Mac OS X 10.6.1 running Windows 7 RC via Parallels 4
 
 

I have a somewhat simular situation regarding activation. I'm in the military and Microsoft has a web page offering discounts on some of their software. I have a Mac and have run Windows 7 beta and then the RC using parallels. I like Windows 7 very much and want to purchase the Military discount version and have it replace the RC. My problem? Microsoft for some reason ONLY offers the upgrade version on their web site. I guess they assume only folks having previous windows would buy Windows 7. So what to do? Will the 'upgrade'' work via parallels on a Mac currently running the RC? Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hindmost View Post
I have a somewhat simular situation regarding activation. I'm in the military and Microsoft has a web page offering discounts on some of their software. I have a Mac and have run Windows 7 beta and then the RC using parallels. I like Windows 7 very much and want to purchase the Military discount version and have it replace the RC. My problem? Microsoft for some reason ONLY offers the upgrade version on their web site. I guess they assume only folks having previous windows would buy Windows 7. So what to do? Will the 'upgrade'' work via parallels on a Mac currently running the RC? Any ideas?
Hello Hindmost, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It's not a problem. You can do a clean install with a upgrade version of Windows 7.

Upgrade Install with Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Re-activation




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Re-activation
Thread Forum
W7 activation -- new MOBO fine but LAN connection wants activation Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Help with activation. Windows Updates & Activation
Activation key Windows Updates & Activation
Self Activation! Windows Updates & Activation
Pro activation Windows Updates & Activation
activation of win 7 Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33