Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 SP1 fails with 800B0100 error

30 Oct 2011   #11
Vandalus

Windows 7 Proffessional 64 bit
 
 

Right, will try that. Thanks. Shan't interfere with your thread from here on out.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Oct 2011   #12
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Success!
SP1 is now installed
Hopefully the updates will follow OK.
(That was one of the longest install times I've seen for SP1 - 90 minutes!. TrustedInstaller peaked at 634MB, and the first reboot produced 115552 updates)

I'll get the rest of the updates in (please?), and then defrag the machine for the first time ever
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #13
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

I think we can close this thread out now - the recommended updates for Windows installed without problems, and the only major Important one remaining is the Office 2007 SP2 (IE9 installed happily).

Just to round it up a little, the cure for this appears to be

1) run Fixit 50123 followed by Fixit 50202 in both normal and aggressive modes

and/or

2) install SP1 from the standalone, if the WU fails for any reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2011   #14
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 

Well done to you!
Safe surfing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #15
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Heh! - it's not even my PC
Any sensible person would have flattened and rebuilt it - but I haven't been called sensible for a loooong time!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #16
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I think we can close this thread out now - the recommended updates for Windows installed without problems, and the only major Important one remaining is the Office 2007 SP2 (IE9 installed happily).

Just to round it up a little, the cure for this appears to be

1) run Fixit 50123 followed by Fixit 50202 in both normal and aggressive modes

and/or

2) install SP1 from the standalone, if the WU fails for any reason.
Hello!

Really sorry that I was so late to the party. On every case of the 0x800B0100 error code I have ever worked on, if no errors were detected, it was running the Fix-It in Aggressive Mode which fixed it. The reason lies in the CBS.log. Corrupt .mum or .cat files in winsxs caused errors in CheckSUR. If this was not the case, CBS.log always pointed to corrupt .cat/.mum files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, fixed by running Aggressive Mode of the aformentioned fix, which cleans out this temporary folder.

Sorry I was late,

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #17
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
On every case of the 0x800B0100 error code I have ever worked on, if no errors were detected, it was running the Fix-It in Aggressive Mode which fixed it. The reason lies in the CBS.log. Corrupt .mum or .cat files in winsxs caused errors in CheckSUR. If this was not the case, CBS.log always pointed to corrupt .cat/.mum files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, fixed by running Aggressive Mode of the aformentioned fix, which cleans out this temporary folder.

Sorry I was late,

Richard
Thanks for the come-back!

In this case, neither SFC nor CheckSUR reported problems, so I was a little at a loss as to how best to approach it - and I really wanted to avoid the inevitable history loss involved in running 50202 in aggressive mode.
Beggars can't be choosers, though. I'm just happy I had a full set of SP1 standalones already on disk - downloading that amount on a dongle can get expensive, especially when the darn thing decides to change IP half-way through!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2011   #18
niemiro

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
On every case of the 0x800B0100 error code I have ever worked on, if no errors were detected, it was running the Fix-It in Aggressive Mode which fixed it. The reason lies in the CBS.log. Corrupt .mum or .cat files in winsxs caused errors in CheckSUR. If this was not the case, CBS.log always pointed to corrupt .cat/.mum files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, fixed by running Aggressive Mode of the aformentioned fix, which cleans out this temporary folder.

Sorry I was late,

Richard
Thanks for the come-back!

In this case, neither SFC nor CheckSUR reported problems, so I was a little at a loss as to how best to approach it - and I really wanted to avoid the inevitable history loss involved in running 50202 in aggressive mode.
Beggars can't be choosers, though. I'm just happy I had a full set of SP1 standalones already on disk - downloading that amount on a dongle can get expensive, especially when the darn thing decides to change IP half-way through!
I also try to avoid deleting the history, one of the reasons why I have abandoned that Fix-It as a first post solution, and moved entirely to running it only when evidence points to a fix (e.g. from a CBS.log). I have tried deleting just portions of the SoftwareDistribution folder to preserve the history, and although I have had some success, it has not yet proven to be reliable. However, I have had more success in attempting to fix corruptions inside the SoftwareDistribution folder, but due to time commitments, and lack of availablilty of scanning tools for that folder, I have not yet made that a service, although I do intend to one day.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 SP1 fails with 800B0100 error




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Update kb2943357 & kb2973112 Fails with error 800B0100
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1 http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/351563-error-code-800b0100-when-updating-dot-net-kb2943357.html I have faced exactly same error code 800B0100 when installing updates for exactly same packages kb2943357 & kb2973112. I have also run...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Update error when installing SP1 error 800b0100
Hi there guys! I've noticed you have helped people before having the same issue I am. When trying to running windows updates (service pack 1) I am getting the 800B0100 error. I have tried all the "Microsoft" fixes (FixIt, SUR tool etc), but no luck. I have run the sfc /scannow and have the CBS...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Fails to Install: error codes 800B0100 and 9C47
Hello. I have tried my best to do everything recommended here to solve the issue of failed installments of windows updates: Fix: Windows Updates fail to install in Windows 7 | 8 Obviously, I haven't been successful. I am not very good with computers, so I would appreciate your patience as you...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 SP1 and IE 9 updates fails. Error codes: 9C48 & 800B0100
Hello, I im trying to help a friend with his computer. It tries to install these 2 updates but it fails every time. The computer is running Win 7 32 bit. Antivirus is MSS and I have tried to turn off "Real Time Protection" Have also scanned the computer for malware with: mbam, combofix and...
Windows Updates & Activation
Error Installing Service Pack 1 Error 800B0100
Please help me I am new to this forum and have a problem in installing SP1 for windows 7, i get the error 8000100 , I have already tried the system readiness tool 2 times and all it does is install a hotfix , pls help!!! :cry::cry:
Windows Updates & Activation
Win 7 SP1 fails with 800B0100 error along with 3 other updates
Currently trying out the Scannow method but tried most of the above bar the re-install. Not an option as I'm currently using this PC for Uni. Dpn't have the time to mess around and re-install on a whim like I used to. Any other suggestions would be great. Edit: also forgot to say I'm...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App