I just completely reformatted my computer after a suspected malware attack.
The first thing I tried after reformatting and doing a clean install of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit edition was to run windows update. I received the error code 80072EFD. This is before
I installed any software, firewalls, or antivirus programs. I also get this same error when trying to activate windows or office, or when trying to set up Microsoft media center.
I do have internet connection. Both firefox and internet explorer work perfectly fine.
I have been in contact with microsoft, but nothing has worked so far. I thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas.
Here are the troubleshooting steps I have already done. Please read through these before posting as you can see I have already tried a lot of things!
1. Waiting 15 minutes and trying again
2. Restarting the computer
3. Adding windows update websites to the internet explorer exceptions list: http://*.update.microsoft.com https://*.update.microsoft.com http://download.windowsupdate.com Microsoft Support http://update.microsoft.com https://update.microsoft.com
4. Verifying internet connectivity (internet works fine)
5. Tried it with Windows firewall on and off. No other firewalls are installed.
6. I tried this before any anti-virus was installed. I have since installed AVG free and tried again both with it running and disabled
7. No software accelerator programs are installed
8. windows update is not using a proxy server. Tried resetting anyway. "Direct Access "
9. Update firmware on router
10. Pluging in directly to modem
11. Have windstream reset my internet connection
12. Update BIOS to most recent version
13. Clean Boot
14. Download and use MicrosoftFixit50202 - ran in aggressive mode; Ran System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 x64
I'm attaching the windows update log and sur below as well as some screenshots of the windows update.
(PS - I know there are other forums with this issue, but I have read many of them and none of them seem to list any information I haven't already tried.)
Please, any ideas would be appreciated!