Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Error code 0x80073712


17 Dec 2011   #1

Win7 Ultimate x64, Windows 8 Enterprise x64
 
 
Error code 0x80073712

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
Any suggestions please.

Windows update error today (Windows 7 Ultimate).
Suggested run sfc /scannow.
Ran it from elevated command prompt, and it stopped after just a few seconds saying no errors found!
I expected it to run for a few minutes at least.

Anyone had this before?
Hello!

Yes, I have seen it before. It is not exactly uncommon. In all previous cases that I have dealt with, it has always been in error. Looking over the CBS.log file showed that SFC did in fact scan very few, or no, files. Often the CBS.log actually showed an error which SFC did not graphically report. In my experience, there are certain errors which SFC cannot recover from. In these cases, it stops part way with a 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation' error message. When it finishes too fast, despite claiming success, it often has had one of these fatal errors anyway, if I remember correctly.

Now, I could take the CBS.log, and see what seems to be going on, but if you ask me, it isn't worth it unless you have a problem. If your computer has a problem, which is why you ran SFC, then I shall take a look, but if all seems well, then you risk more by fiddling.

Richard
Hi Richard,

During the last routine windows update I had 2 updates flagged.
One updated OK (I think it was just for the Malicious Software Tool), the second failed - KB2633171, with error 80073712.

My PC is running fine, so it is not a major problem. Would just like to know how to solve it.

It may be that I will wait until the next windows update to see if there are any more failures!

Paul.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2011   #2

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Hello Paul!

Thanks for letting me know about that error

Error code 0x80073712 maps to ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT. This error is one of the few which can cause SFC to fail. These two are definitely linked.

As you have seen, SFC is not robust enough to deal with corruptions when its store copy is also corrupt. It can deal with problems when it has a clean store, but a corruption elsewhere, but when its store is damaged, it fails.

Therefore, we need a second tool downloaded from the internet with its own store built into the download to identify problems in the store. I also intend to take a copy of the CBS.log, just to diagnose what exactly is corrupted, how badly is is corrupted, how to fix it if it is possible to fix, or whether it does not actually need to be fixed (I doubt this scenario). At the moment, I am just diagnosing what is wrong, and what needs to be done.

Please download this independant tool (the System Update Readiness Tool) from here: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2 and install it.

Once it has installed, please copy the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder (the whole folder, please) to your Desktop, right click on it > Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder, create a new thread in this forum: http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/ (It is better to keep something like this in its own thread, and leave this thread for simple one question, one answer posts, if that is OK with you), and then upload that .zip file there, and I shall come over and analyse it for you.

Thanks a lot, and the very best of luck!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #3

Win7 Ultimate x64, Windows 8 Enterprise x64
 
 
Error code 0x80073712

Richard,

Attachment as requested.

Paul.
Attachment 188662
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 Dec 2011   #4

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
Richard,

Attachment as requested.

Paul.
Attachment 188662
Hello again!

Thanks for attaching that file. It is certainly curious. I am currently going through it more carefully.

In the mean time, can you please click on the Start Orb, and in the search box type regedit and press enter.

In the Registry Editor, please click File > Export > Selected Branch: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\ specify a name and location, click OK, and navigate to that location, right click on the newly created file > Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder, and upload that new file here.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2011   #5

Win7 Ultimate x64, Windows 8 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
Richard,

Attachment as requested.

Paul.
Attachment 188662
Hello again!

Thanks for attaching that file. It is certainly curious. I am currently going through it more carefully.

In the mean time, can you please click on the Start Orb, and in the search box type regedit and press enter.

In the Registry Editor, please click File > Export > Selected Branch: HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\ specify a name and location, click OK, and navigate to that location, right click on the newly created file > Send to > Compressed (Zipped) folder, and upload that new file here.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
Hi Richard,

Attached as requested.

error.zip

Thanks,
Paul.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #6

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Hello again!

I bring bad news. Basically, I now know what is going on, but the situation is not great.

Firstly, SFC did indeed not do anything:

Code:
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    00000009 CSI Store 1957024 (0x001ddca0) initialized
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000a [SR] Verifying 0 components
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000b [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000c Repair results created:
POQ 0 starts:
 
POQ 0 ends.
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000d [SR] Verify complete
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000e [SR] Repairing 0 components
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    0000000f [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    00000010 Repair results created:
POQ 1 starts:
 
POQ 1 ends.
2011-12-14 18:30:30, Info                  CSI    00000011 [SR] Repair complete
That log should be hundreds of lines long, and should actually verify some components

Code:
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CSI    0000006c@2011/12/17:11:57:38.775 CSI Transaction @0x12a5e60 initialized for deployment engine {d16d444c-56d8-11d5-882d-0080c847b195} with flags 00000002 and client id [76]"TI1.30194867_306814962:2/Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0"
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-13_neutral_LDR
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-13_neutral_LDR, PinDeployment: x86_5baebc98b54499a976adae1c6e4b1e86_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.21077_none_1eaa3d5341621655
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CSI    0000006d Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  AddCat (14): flags: 0 catfile: @0x12ace54
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CSI    0000006e Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  Stage (1): flags: 8 app: [5baebc98b54499a976adae1c6e4b1e86, Version = 6.1.7600.21077, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral]) comp: (null) man: @0x12ace9c
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR
2011-12-17 12:57:38, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR, PinDeployment: x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CSI    0000006f Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  AddCat (14): flags: 0 catfile: @0x12ad28c
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CSI    00000070 Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  Stage (1): flags: 8 app: [bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e, Version = 6.1.7600.16841, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral]) comp: (null) man: @0x12ad67c
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Error                 CSI    00000071@2011/12/17:11:57:39.085 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\componentstore\storelayout.cpp(11690): Store corruption detected in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::CheckFamilyIndexForDeadWinnerComponent expression: (null)
  MissingWinningComponentKey on resource [90]"x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33"[gle=0x80004005]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Error                 CSI    00000072 (F) STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT #48851# from CCSDirectTransaction::OperateEnding at index 0 of 1 operations, disposition 0[gle=0xd015001a]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Error                 CSI    00000073 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(14098) #48245# from Windows::ServicingAPI::CCSITransaction::ICSITransaction_PinDeployment(Flags = 0, a = bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e, Version = 6.1.7600.16841, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, cb = (null), s = (null), rid = [76]"Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0.2633171-14_neutral_GDR", rah = (null), manpath = [177]"\\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33.manifest", catpath = [135]"\\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0.cat", ed = 0, disp = 0)[gle=0x80073712]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to pin deployment while resolving Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR from file: \\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33.manifest [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve item[0] in Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution update. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve execution package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CSI    00000074@2011/12/17:11:57:39.575 CSI Transaction @0x12a5e60 destroyed
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Perf: Resolve chain complete.
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, status: 0x80073712, failure source: Resolve, start state: Absent, target state: Staged, client id: WindowsUpdateAgent
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to query DisableWerReporting flag.  Assuming not set... [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml to WER report because it is missing.  Continuing without it...
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Failed to add %windir%\winsxs\pending.xml.bad to WER report because it is missing.  Continuing without it...
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    Reboot mark refs: 0
2011-12-17 12:57:39, Info                  CBS    SQM: Reporting package change for package: Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Installed, target: Staged, limit: Staged, hotpatch status: StillGoing, status: 0x0, failure source: Resolve, reboot required: False, client id: WindowsUpdateAgent, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 448, first merged sequence: 448
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: Upload requested for report: PackageChangeBegin_Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, session id: 142859, sample type: Standard
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: Ignoring upload request because the sample type is not enabled: Standard
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: Reporting package change completion for package: Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, current: Absent, original: Absent, target: Staged, status: 0x80073712, failure source: Resolve, failure details: "(null)", client id: WindowsUpdateAgent, initiated offline: False, execution sequence: 448, first merged sequence: 448
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: resolve time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: stage time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: execute time performance datapoint is invalid. [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: Upload requested for report: PackageChangeEnd_Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, session id: 142862, sample type: Standard
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    SQM: Ignoring upload request because the sample type is not enabled: Standard
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    Enabling LKG boot option
2011-12-17 12:57:42, Info                  CBS    Restored system sleep block state: 0x80000000
2011-12-17 12:57:43, Info                  CBS    Exec: Processing complete.  Session: 30194867_306814962, Package: Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
As you can see, the update which failed to install has appeared as a failure in the log files. This makes sense, but if you look carefully, here is the error:

Code:
   MissingWinningComponentKey on resource [90]"x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33"[gle=0x80004005]
Google search for that component, and you will see that it appears in two KB articles, KB2633171, and KB2556532.

Click on the IT Professionals download links, and you will soon find that Bulletin MS11-098 (KB2633171) replaces Bulletin MS11-068 (KB2556532).

Therefore, looking at the evidence, what didn't happen is that there was a Store corruption, and this caused the update and SFC to fail, as you might at first think, but actually, the update failed, caused the Store Corruption, and that caused SFC to fail.

But why did the update fail? Did it corrupt itself, or did it try to overwrite the update it was superceding, fail, and then the roll-back failed. Why did the roll back fail? I don't know, but all I know at the moment is that you have half of KB2556532 installed, and half of the newer KB2633171 installed.

Therefore, looking at why it is failing now is not very helpful. I need to find out why it failed the very first time.

I found it:

Code:
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-13_neutral_LDR
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-13_neutral_LDR, PinDeployment: x86_5baebc98b54499a976adae1c6e4b1e86_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.21077_none_1eaa3d5341621655
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CSI    0000001d Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  AddCat (14): flags: 0 catfile: @0x1e635c4
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CSI    0000001e Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  Stage (1): flags: 8 app: [5baebc98b54499a976adae1c6e4b1e86, Version = 6.1.7600.21077, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral]) comp: (null) man: @0x1e6360c
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CBS    Exec: Resolving Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR, PinDeployment: x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CSI    0000001f Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  AddCat (14): flags: 0 catfile: @0x1e631d4
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Info                  CSI    00000020 Performing 1 operations; 1 are not lock/unlock and follow:
  Stage (1): flags: 8 app: [bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e, Version = 6.1.7600.16841, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral]) comp: (null) man: @0x1e631d4
2011-12-14 12:44:31, Error                 CSI    00000021@2011/12/14:11:44:31.826 (F) d:\win7sp1_gdr\base\wcp\componentstore\storelayout.cpp(11690): Store corruption detected in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::CheckFamilyIndexForDeadWinnerComponent expression: (null)
  MissingWinningComponentKey on resource [90]"x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33"[gle=0x80004005]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Error                 CSI    00000022 (F) STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT #17137# from CCSDirectTransaction::OperateEnding at index 0 of 1 operations, disposition 0[gle=0xd015001a]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Error                 CSI    00000023 (F) HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(14098) #16531# from Windows::ServicingAPI::CCSITransaction::ICSITransaction_PinDeployment(Flags = 0, a = bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e, Version = 6.1.7600.16841, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral, cb = (null), s = (null), rid = [76]"Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0.2633171-14_neutral_GDR", rah = (null), manpath = [177]"\\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33.manifest", catpath = [135]"\\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0.cat", ed = 0, disp = 0)[gle=0x80073712]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    Failed to pin deployment while resolving Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR from file: \\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\34fc32d3cc6bfb7a80cc4aa990e61be4\x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33.manifest [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve item[0] in Package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, Update: 2633171-14_neutral_GDR [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution update. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Error                 CBS    Failed to resolve execution package: Package_7_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CSI    00000024@2011/12/14:11:44:33.620 CSI Transaction @0x1444160 destroyed
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    Perf: Resolve chain complete.
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    Failed to resolve execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT]
2011-12-14 12:44:33, Info                  CBS    WER: Generating failure report for package: Package_for_KB2633171~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0, status: 0x80073712, failure source: Resolve, start state: Absent, target state: Staged, client id: WindowsUpdateAgent
It is the same component again.

MissingWinningComponentKey on resource x means that it cannot be found at
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners] (in Windows 7).

Taking an export of that key, I can confirm that there is indeed no WinningComponentKey for that component. That is a problem. Hold that thought.

Another CBS entry which tells of Winners corruption is "Install-map entry missing component key in populate:"

Unfortunately, you have very many of these (somewhere around 8034 if my count is correct). I have seriously trimmed it down.

Code:
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000088 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"$$DeleteMe.sortkey.nlp.01cbf951e7ea07c8.0002".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000089 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"$$DeleteMe.sortkey.nlp.01cc2ad8e4c806f2.0004".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008a Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"$$DeleteMe.sorttbls.nlp.01cbf951e7e54507.0001".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008b Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"$$DeleteMe.sorttbls.nlp.01cc2ad8e4c34431.0003".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008c Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"01314efd03cacb019b0700001815900c.esscli.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008d Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"030a0fd803cacb01410700001815900c.uxsms.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008e Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:112{56}]"034997fd03cacb01a30700001815900c.PortableDeviceTypes.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000008f Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"0ad865fd03cacb01a00700001815900c.wmiutils.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000090 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"0df12afd03cacb01980700001815900c.wlanapi.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000091 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"0f4adbdc03cacb01550700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000092 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:96{48}]"12388afe03cacb01a40700001815900c.FirewallAPI.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000093 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"162c39f303cacb01650700001815900c.spoolss.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000094 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"18bbdddc03cacb01560700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000095 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:100{50}]"1a96a6db03cacb014b0700001815900c.wercplsupport.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000096 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"1cfbd1dc03cacb01530700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000097 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"2e62f7f703cacb01920700001815900c.srclient.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000098 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"30bba7d703cacb013e0700001815900c.devrtl.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    00000099 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"31215ffd03cacb019e0700001815900c.wbemsvc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009a Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"3568dff403cacb018c0700001815900c.wscsvc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009b Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"3d6c9ed703cacb013d0700001815900c.devobj.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009c Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"43977be903cacb015e0700001815900c.lsass.exe".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009d Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"45c5f4f403cacb018d0700001815900c.DrUpdate.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009e Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"493fc4dc03cacb01510700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    0000009f Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"57a08ef303cacb01660700001815900c.rasapi32.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a0 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"5cb1d8f403cacb018a0700001815900c.wscisvif.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a1 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"5ce1fef203cacb01640700001815900c.compstui.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a2 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"64c8e0dc03cacb01570700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a3 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"6979ffd703cacb013f0700001815900c.dwmapi.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a4 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"699caadc03cacb014e0700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a5 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"6d39e3dc03cacb01580700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a6 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"75b9cbdc03cacb01520700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a7 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"75d666e903cacb015c0700001815900c.lmhsvc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a8 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"782fd5dc03cacb01540700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000a9 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:96{48}]"78584eed03cacb01610700001815900c.FwRemoteSvr.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000aa Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"847877e903cacb015d0700001815900c.lsass.exe".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000ab Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"8865bbdc03cacb014f0700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000ac Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"8fb49efc03cacb01940700001815900c.vsstrace.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000ad Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"9042e8dc03cacb01590700001815900c.gpapi.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000ae Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"940b60fd03cacb019f0700001815900c.WinMgmtR.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000af Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"958358dc03cacb014d0700001815900c.FXSRESM.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b0 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:98{49}]"9797dbf403cacb018b0700001815900c.wscproxystub.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b1 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"9e6409d803cacb01400700001815900c.dwm.exe".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b2 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"a34146fd03cacb019a0700001815900c.WMIsvc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b3 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"a83c81e903cacb015f0700001815900c.lsass.exe".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b4 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:84{42}]"b1aadecf03cacb01380700001815900c.aepic.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b5 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:92{46}]"b2f1b0d803cacb01430700001815900c.dhcpcore6.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b6 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"b4acb5d803cacb01440700001815900c.dhcpcsvc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b7 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"b9ddc3d803cacb01460700001815900c.samlib.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b8 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:90{45}]"cd365efd03cacb019d0700001815900c.wbemprox.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000b9 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:92{46}]"cd44b8d803cacb01450700001815900c.dhcpcsvc6.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000ba Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:88{44}]"dac790fe03cacb01a50700001815900c.wfapigp.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000bb Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"e499bedc03cacb01500700001815900c.lpk.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000bc Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:122{61}]"e9b094fd03cacb01a20700001815900c.PortableDeviceConnectApi.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000bd Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"edc959fd03cacb019c0700001815900c.NCProv.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000be Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"fc5f6b0304cacb01a70700001815900c.FXSAPI.DLL".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000bf Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:86{43}]"fe6852dc03cacb014c0700001815900c.FXSAPI.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000c0 Couldn't mark for pending delete: [ml:78{39},l:76{38}]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes"\[l:80{40}]"ff8bbbf403cacb01890700001815900c.slc.dll".  Reason: [13]"Cannot Delete"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000c1@2011/12/14:12:05:11.629 PopulateComponentFamiliesKey - Begin
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000c2 Install-map entry missing component key in populate: [l:126{63}]"amd64_microsoft.vc90.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_none_a268ec259de3174d" [l:22{11}]"9.0.30729.1"
2011-12-14 13:05:11, Info                  CSI    000000c3 Install-map entry missing component key in populate: [l:126{63}]"amd64_microsoft.vc90.atl_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_none_a268ec259de3174d" [l:28{14}]"9.0.30729.4148"
...
2011-12-14 13:05:19, Info                  CSI    00002023 Install-map entry missing component key in populate: [l:126{63}]"x86_xnacc.inf.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_en-us_221f4f6b9fe0e098" [l:28{14}]"6.1.7600.16385"
2011-12-14 13:05:19, Info                  CSI    00002024 Install-map entry missing component key in populate: [l:104{52}]"x86_xnacc.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_none_0c8f9fa3d11fbcb2" [l:28{14}]"6.1.7600.16385"
2011-12-14 13:05:19, Info                  CSI    00002025@2011/12/14:12:05:19.386 PopulateComponentFamiliesKey - End
There are many, many more, where I have ellipsised out in red.

But looking at your Winners key for a randomly selected few, the Winners look alright, and not at all corrupt. Curious.

However, looking back, these do not feature in some of your early logs.

Only one error does, and that is this:

Code:
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Info                  CBS    Failed to find package from aggreated XML string, package: Package_for_KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~fr-FR~6.1.7601.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Info                  CBS    Failed to find package from deployment update [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Error                 CBS    Failed to check whether package is partially installed, package: Windows7SP1-KB976933~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.17514 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Info                  CBS    Failed to evaluate external applicability for package update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Error                 CBS    Failed to call external evaluate applicability on package: Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.17514, Update: 976933-0_neutral_PACKAGE [HRESULT = 0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-12-14 12:48:40, Info                  CBS    Session: 30194262_1388279944 initialized by client WindowsUpdateAgent.
As you can see it is SP1 related. It is also language pack related. This does not really mean much, except that I see so many people with problems relating to language packs. I am not suggesting that you should stop using them, just that there is some deep, core problem in Windows Update that people who use language packs seem to have more problems that those who don't. Maybe that isn't the case - I haven't been counting them for any sort of statistical analysis, it just seems to be. Or maybe more files just means more to go wrong.

I have also seen this before, and at that time I sought a second opinion (I suggest you read Cluberti's post, which I have linked to): Windows Update Error

Cluberti is amazing at these sorts of things, and his verdict was not upbeat!

It appears that all your problems stem back to a dodgy SP1 install. It could explain all those Winners errors. Let's say that the Winners have been updated to post-SP1, but another part of the system thinks that it is pre-SP1, it is going to think that they are corrupt, even if they look fine to me. Alternatively, maybe the Winners hadn't been updated yet, but elsewhere thinks that SP1 has been installed, and so again, they look corrupt. However, as you will read later in this post, I don't actually believe either of these explanations.

Here are my suggestions:

Firstly, I would suggest backing up your data. Even something like a System Restore could go disasterously wrong on such an unstable system.

Try a System Restore to pre-SP1: System Restore

If, amazingly, it works, do not install SP1, or any Windows Update, and I shall have a look to fix problems in the store before they mess up SP1 again.

If that doesn't work, what I shall do is repair the one and only truly missing Winner, for x86_bffc18aa52230d0daa49b8720674de3e_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16841_none_0cb32ea90a3edc33, and see if we get a miraculous recovery.

Once I have fixed that Winner, I reacon that SFC and that update will install fine. After that, I will be able to open the store, and see if SP1 is indeed as bad as it seems.

Because there is one extra piece of information I haven't yet mentioned. I haven't actually managed to get into the Store yet. The reason SFC failed so quickly was because that missing Winner meant that it couldn't open the store. And the independant tool (The System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)) couldn't open the store either.

Hence why the SURT log looked like this:

Code:
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 13.0
2011-12-17 15:09
Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Packages
(f) CSI Unable to Query Store Version 0x00000002   
Summary:
Seconds executed: 42
 Found 1 errors
  CSI Unable to Query Store Version Total count: 1
I haven't yet even opened the store to see the corruptions inside yet!

So once I get inside, SURT will tell me whether or not SP1 is actually only half installed. Personally, what I hinted at earlier, I believe that SP1 may actually not be in such a bad state. Windows Update is pretty good at failing if there is a problem, and since updates have been installed after SP1, I reacon that only a small part of SP1 is corrupt.

And if it corrupt, I can try a manual rollback of SP1, and then a re-install of SP1.

And only then do we need to consider more drastic action.

I hope System Restore works, or that that Winner allows me to open up the store! The very best of luck!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2011   #7

Win7 Ultimate x64, Windows 8 Enterprise x64
 
 

Hi Richard,

WOW!

Unfortunately my system restore files do not go back to my SP1 install!

Sorry,
Paul.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2011   #8

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Hello again!

No problem Whilst I extract that Winner, could you please answer a few questions for me, before I proceed with the fix?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have? IE8/9.
Do you use a 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64) version of Windows?
Please may I ask what sort of computing experience you have? Would you say that you are perfectly comfortable with following clear instructions? Are you comfortable with manually modifying the registry as a last resort, if provided with clear instructions? Is your data backed up, just in case (I have never seen the fixes your computer will need break a computer, but it is always better to be safe rather than sorry)? If necessary, do you have someone around who may be help you follow the instructions?

One last point. If you currently have IE8 (for example), and you suddenly install IE9, it is imperative that you let me know immediately that you have changed versions, and don't follow a fix I sent you before the change, because Internet Explorer is an absolutely integral part of Windows Networking, and some fixes depend on the version which I knew you had. Ideally, please don't change version whilst I am fixing, but if Windows Update installs it by accident, or something along those lines, just let me know and all will be well.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2011   #9

Win7 Ultimate x64, Windows 8 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Hello again!

No problem Whilst I extract that Winner, could you please answer a few questions for me, before I proceed with the fix?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have? IE8/9.
Do you use a 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64) version of Windows?
Please may I ask what sort of computing experience you have? Would you say that you are perfectly comfortable with following clear instructions? Are you comfortable with manually modifying the registry as a last resort, if provided with clear instructions? Is your data backed up, just in case (I have never seen the fixes your computer will need break a computer, but it is always better to be safe rather than sorry)? If necessary, do you have someone around who may be help you follow the instructions?

One last point. If you currently have IE8 (for example), and you suddenly install IE9, it is imperative that you let me know immediately that you have changed versions, and don't follow a fix I sent you before the change, because Internet Explorer is an absolutely integral part of Windows Networking, and some fixes depend on the version which I knew you had. Ideally, please don't change version whilst I am fixing, but if Windows Update installs it by accident, or something along those lines, just let me know and all will be well.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
Hi Richard,

I am quite experienced, and I have used Registry Editor numerous times.
My stuff is backed up, and I will back up before doing anything you recommend.
I regularly do disk images (weekly), but unfortunately do not have anything before SP1.
I have IE9 installed (although I use FF8).
I currently have Windows Update set to ask me before installing anything!

Thank you for all your help.

Paul.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2011   #10

Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by niemiro View Post
Hello again!

No problem Whilst I extract that Winner, could you please answer a few questions for me, before I proceed with the fix?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have? IE8/9.
Do you use a 32bit (x86) or 64bit (x64) version of Windows?
Please may I ask what sort of computing experience you have? Would you say that you are perfectly comfortable with following clear instructions? Are you comfortable with manually modifying the registry as a last resort, if provided with clear instructions? Is your data backed up, just in case (I have never seen the fixes your computer will need break a computer, but it is always better to be safe rather than sorry)? If necessary, do you have someone around who may be help you follow the instructions?

One last point. If you currently have IE8 (for example), and you suddenly install IE9, it is imperative that you let me know immediately that you have changed versions, and don't follow a fix I sent you before the change, because Internet Explorer is an absolutely integral part of Windows Networking, and some fixes depend on the version which I knew you had. Ideally, please don't change version whilst I am fixing, but if Windows Update installs it by accident, or something along those lines, just let me know and all will be well.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
Hi Richard,

I am quite experienced, and I have used Registry Editor numerous times.
My stuff is backed up, and I will back up before doing anything you recommend.
I regularly do disk images (weekly), but unfortunately do not have anything before SP1.
I have IE9 installed (although I use FF8).
I currently have Windows Update set to ask me before installing anything!

Thank you for all your help.

Paul.
Hello Paul,

Excellent! Can I also please confirm that you use 32bit Windows?

I have been taking some time to research your issue further, and I shall show you what I think tomorrow.

In the mean time, can you please click on the Start Orb > Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off, and just leave that box on screen. No need to modify anything, just leave it on screen.

The reason is that Windows does not actually generate certain volatile parts of the registry until they are needed, and this is a good way to force the creation of the Components hive in Windows 7 (it was so much easier in Vista! The Components hive existed all the time, and the Winners key was not thrown into some far flung corner of the registry! Sigh!)

Can you now please open up regedit again, and export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\ServicingStackVersions

Once you have exported this key, you may close the "Turn Windows Features On and Off" dialogue.

Tomorrow we shall get down to some fixing. But I am a cautious man, and wanted to spend some time planning before beginning this operation.

Thanks a lot!

Richard
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Error code 0x80073712




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Error code 0x80073712
Thread Forum
BSOD PLaying League of Legends error code 0x0000001e a common code BSOD Help and Support
Solved Win7x64 Update Error 0x80073712 with KB 2844286 Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Winows Update errors 0x80073712 & 0x80070002 Windows Updates & Activation
Solved 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT General Discussion
Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1 Fails 0X80073712 Windows Updates & Activation
(SP1) Installation was not successful: 0x80073712 Windows Updates & Activation
Win7 Firewall won't turn on error code 0x6D9 and error code 0x80070424 System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33