Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Product key on the side of computer case


05 May 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 
Product key on the side of computer case

I have noticed that a computer that comes factory installed with Windows 7 doesn't use they product key on the side of the computer. Does that mean I could use that key on another computer? These factory installed copies of windows come with a volume activation key, they do not use the key on the side of the pc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 May 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/Windows 8.1 64bit
 
 

No you can't use it on another machine, you would use that number if you had to re-install the OS for any reason, plus if it's an OEM copy it is tied to the machine it comes on and cannot be moved to another machine even if the machine it came on dies.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
No you can't use it on another machine, you would use that number if you had to re-install the OS for any reason, plus if it's an OEM copy it is tied to the machine it comes on and cannot be moved to another machine even if the machine it came on dies.
if the key on the side of the computer was never activated, then it is a saparate license, I thought. Could you point me to the part of the EULA that talks about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 May 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post

if the key on the side of the computer was never activated, then it is a saparate license, I thought. Could you point me to the part of the EULA that talks about that.
TOTAL BS, I'm afraid.
The COA Key is ONLY valid on the original PC on which it is stuck - and NEVER on any other machine.

There are numerous points in the vairous license involved - the most relevant of which is....
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

For OEM SB licenses thaere are also the provisions of the System Builder License to take into account (should the end-user also be the System Builder - which is technically against the terms of the SB License)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post

if the key on the side of the computer was never activated, then it is a saparate license, I thought. Could you point me to the part of the EULA that talks about that.
TOTAL BS, I'm afraid.
The COA Key is ONLY valid on the original PC on which it is stuck - and NEVER on any other machine.

There are numerous points in the vairous license involved - the most relevant of which is....
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

For OEM SB licenses thaere are also the provisions of the System Builder License to take into account (should the end-user also be the System Builder - which is technically against the terms of the SB License)
(Not to sound arguementative) Why does Microsoft let me activate it normally and I can just use it and I can run Genuine validations all day long and it always says it's genuine?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

I have no idea - you haven't given me enough information to off a real opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I have no idea - you haven't given me enough information to off a real opinion.
I can simply type in the product key and activate over the internet and it works perfectly. I pass genuine validation and everything. So, my question is, why will Windows let me do this is it is against their EULA?
Also, thanks for helping me on serveral issues I have had with this activation sutff, NoelDP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #8
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

The major OEM's like Dell and HP have deal with Microsoft to use a custom activation on PC's with a pre-installed OS. They don't activate online, they activate against code embedded in the BIOS of the PC. Each OEM has their own Master product code that they use on all their PC's. They still have to apply a COA sticker to comply with the EULA and each sticker has a unique product code. Even if that product code was never used its still tied to the PC that the sticker is on. If you do a clean install with your own media it is perfectly legal to use that code on that PC. From what I have read those codes are blocked from online activation. You have to do a phone activation so Microsoft can activate that product code. It might be automatic after that I don't know.

If the OS was pre-installed with regular (unbranded) OEM install media then activation is online and the Product Code used should match whats on the sticker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #9

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
The major OEM's like Dell and HP have deal with Microsoft to use a custom activation on PC's with a pre-installed OS. They don't activate online, they activate against code embedded in the BIOS of the PC. Each OEM has their own Master product code that they use on all their PC's. They still have to apply a COA sticker to comply with the EULA and each sticker has a unique product code. Even if that product code was never used its still tied to the PC that the sticker is on. If you do a clean install with your own media it is perfectly legal to use that code on that PC. From what I have read those codes are blocked from online activation. You have to do a phone activation so Microsoft can activate that product code. It might be automatic after that I don't know.

If the OS was pre-installed with regular (unbranded) OEM install media then activation is online and the Product Code used should match whats on the sticker.
Can you show me the part of the EULA that covers this? I have never seen this in any part of their EULA. And if this is illegal and everything, then why does Windows activation let me use it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2012   #10

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by windude99 View Post

if the key on the side of the computer was never activated, then it is a saparate license, I thought. Could you point me to the part of the EULA that talks about that.
TOTAL BS, I'm afraid.
The COA Key is ONLY valid on the original PC on which it is stuck - and NEVER on any other machine.

There are numerous points in the vairous license involved - the most relevant of which is....
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

For OEM SB licenses thaere are also the provisions of the System Builder License to take into account (should the end-user also be the System Builder - which is technically against the terms of the SB License)
Hi there
normally 100% correct

BUT if you buy a RETAIL version of Windows (whether XP or Windows 7) you can ALWAYS transfer it to another machine -- you might have to "Activate by phone" though.

Ms isn't unreasonable in allowing you to move RETAIL copies to new machines.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Product key on the side of computer case




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Product key on the side of computer case
Thread Forum
Solved looking for a decent computer case.. PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Acrylic side panal cracked on my pc case PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved Fans on the side of case. Hardware & Devices
Computer Case help? Hardware & Devices
Side Panel for My Case PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
computer side panel Graphic Cards
Taking the side off your case to increases system stability? PC Custom Builds and Overclocking

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33