Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to get licence from old HD that is not working properly

25 May 2012   #11
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Your problem appears to be simply that you haven't activated the installation yet - although there is also an indication of a validation problem, it is probably due to atttempting to validate while out of grace period.

telephone activation (operator calls)
Click on the Start button
in the Search box, type
SLUI 4
and hit the Enter key
follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 May 2012   #12
guatemala

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Your problem appears to be simply that you haven't activated the installation yet - although there is also an indication of a validation problem, it is probably due to atttempting to validate while out of grace period.

telephone activation (operator calls)
Click on the Start button
in the Search box, type
SLUI 4
and hit the Enter key
follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you

i appreciate the help. but my question was if there was a way to get my windows license that came with my pc. since it doesnt work anymore i couldnt clone it.

right now i install a version that my brother has on his PC, so if i talk to try to activate they probably going to know that my brother still using this version of windows 7 on his pc. and will tell my to buy a new one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2012   #13
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by F5ing View Post
You can use that same boot CD you tried (in your first post) to copy out your favorites.

While you're at it, make sure to get everything else off of there that you think you might need while the old HD is still somewhat accessible.

where do i find my bookmarks on my old HD?
Firefox bookmarks are typically in:

C Users Yourusername appdata roaming Mozilla Firefox Profiles

In the Profiles folder, you should see a folder with a "default" extension.

Inside that folder, you should see a series of dated files with a "json" extension. These are bookmarks.

I back up my entire Firefox installation by copying the entire Mozilla folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2012   #14
guatemala

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2012   #15
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
i appreciate the help. but my question was if there was a way to get my windows license that came with my pc. since it doesnt work anymore i couldnt clone it.

right now i install a version that my brother has on his PC, so if i talk to try to activate they probably going to know that my brother still using this version of windows 7 on his pc. and will tell my to buy a new one.

The Key for your PC is on the COA sticker on the case - and nowhere else in the world.
If you reinstall with the proper Recovery media for your PC, it should install the manufacturer's Key, which will self-activate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2012   #16
guatemala

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post

If you reinstall with the proper Recovery media for your PC, it should install the manufacturer's Key, which will self-activate.

how do i do this? i what do u mean by reinstall with the proper recovery media for my PC? is like the recovery disk , because i dont have one. can you please explain abit more.

thanks for the reply
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2012   #17
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

You haven't given us your system specs although you have told us you have a Dell computer, but you don't tell us which model.

Also, we don't know where you live, but if it is in the United States you can request a restore disc from Dell, with which you can restore your computer to its factory state.

Dell - Support

You can also download an official Windows 7 ISO that you can use to clean install Windows 7, using your COA product key for activation.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2012   #18
guatemala

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
You haven't given us your system specs although you have told us you have a Dell computer, but you don't tell us which model.

Also, we don't know where you live, but if it is in the United States you can request a restore disc from Dell, with which you can restore your computer to its factory state.

Dell - Support

You can also download an official Windows 7 ISO that you can use to clean install Windows 7, using your COA product key for activation.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

i think dell will charge me for a restore disc.

ill try the installing windows 7, using COA product key.


btw sry i didnt said my pc specs:

is a dell inspiron 545s with windows 7 home prem. 600 HD and 2GB ram
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2012   #19
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by guatemala View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seavixen32 View Post
You haven't given us your system specs although you have told us you have a Dell computer, but you don't tell us which model.

Also, we don't know where you live, but if it is in the United States you can request a restore disc from Dell, with which you can restore your computer to its factory state.

Dell - Support

You can also download an official Windows 7 ISO that you can use to clean install Windows 7, using your COA product key for activation.

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

i think dell will charge me for a restore disc.........
Please do not assume. If you are in U.S.A submit your Media Request Form as seavixen32 suggested - whether or not your machine is still under warranty.

If you are in any other country contact DELL Technical Support in your region.

Give the reason - Hard Disk failed. need reinstall disk to install on a new HDD. Recovery Disks lost/damaged ( If there was a provision to create the Recovery Disks on your machine)

Mostly DELL will send the OEM Reinstall Disk free.

If you get it there is nothing like it since with the OEM Reinstall Disk you may do a clean install at any time, any number of times and at any frequency and it will selfactivate. (speaking from my personal experience)

You can still go ahead with the COA-SLP activation - if you do not want to wait ( usually DELL is prompt and fast) - since you can always reinstall it with OEM disk anytime and get back to OEM-SLP activation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2012   #20
guatemala

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post




Please do not assume. If you are in U.S.A submit your Media Request Form as seavixen32 suggested - whether or not your machine is still under warranty.

If you are in any other country contact DELL Technical Support in your region.

Give the reason - Hard Disk failed. need reinstall disk to install on a new HDD. Recovery Disks lost/damaged ( If there was a provision to create the Recovery Disks on your machine)

Mostly DELL will send the OEM Reinstall Disk free.

If you get it there is nothing like it since with the OEM Reinstall Disk you may do a clean install at any time, any number of times and at any frequency and it will selfactivate. (speaking from my personal experience)

You can still go ahead with the COA-SLP activation - if you do not want to wait ( usually DELL is prompt and fast) - since you can always reinstall it with OEM disk anytime and get back to OEM-SLP activation.

thanks you were right im trying to get recovery disk from dell and i think they will mail it free. im waiting for the reply thx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to get licence from old HD that is not working properly




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Gioteck EX-05 not working properly.
I have a Gioteck EX-05 headset, and when I plug it in, my computer detects it and installs the drivers, however it continues to play sound through its speakers and not my headset. The headset appears in device manager, but it is not listed as a playback device in the Devices and Printers section of...
Sound & Audio
Right click not working properly.
It is very strange. If I right click right now anywhere it will work. When I am in any game, however, it acts very strange. The right click sometimes does not register, and other times will be inconsistent. For example, if I have to hold down the right button for me to eat a jelly bean, it will...
General Discussion
DCHP not working properly
For some reason, DHCP seems to set all incorrect settings. As a result, I don't have an internet connection with DHCP enabled. Here's my ipconfig /all: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Daan-PC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . ....
Network & Sharing
Gadgets not working properly
Hii.. My win 7 gaddgets r displaying as black on desktop wen i install a new gadget or win7 default gadgets.. I'm uploading screenshots pls help me...
Gadgets
CD Rom not working properly
I am running windows 7 and my cd rom is not working properly. It was reinstalled which seemed to help a LITTLE, but sometimes you have to incert a cd 7 or eight times before it will read it. I can see that there is a cd inserted (when I go to my computer I can see the D drive). Just doesn't read...
Hardware & Devices
USB's ports not working properly in Win 7
Hi. My system is Dell OptiPlex 740,‎‎ 2.50 GB RAM, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. All of a sudden - the USB ports (all 7 of them) stopped to function properly. Each device I plugged into the port - got recognized as 'uknown device' and doesn't function at all. One of the biggest problems that this cause...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App