Quote: Originally Posted by realeyes
Acer today told me it is illegal to go back to Vista because it was upgraded to Windows 7 and it is illegal for them to send me the original discs to reinstall allowing me to then follow Microsofts tech info on how to resolve the upgrade problem. Vista key product is apparently no longer valid. (Have not tried)
Acer are not only wrong they are lying.
Your Vista Key is permanently attached to your computer and permanently valid for it.
It is NOT illegal for them to send you the recovery disk for your PC - but it is inconvenient, and they may have run out of stock. Windows 7 discs HmPrm UPG fulfill.
OK - this is the important one.
These appear to be the proper disks for the Windows 7 Free Upgrade program.
Check the sticker on the packs - the Keys should be different (Did you ever get the one for the laptop to activate, or not? If so, then you can not use that Key for this purpose)
They should also be different to the one in the report.
Try recreating the Licensing store, installing the Key, and then activating by phone.
Please first try recreating the Licensing Store.
Recreate the Licensing Store
1) Click Start button.
2) Type: CMD.exe into the 'Search programs and files' field
3) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
4) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
5) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform
6) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
7) Type: cd %windir%\system32
8) Type: net start sppsvc
9) Type: slui.exe
10) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may occur automatically.
If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the appropriate Windows 7 pack
Try internt activation first - if that fails, try Telephone activation.
telephone activation (operator calls)
Click on the Start button
in the Search box, type
and hit the Enter key
follow the instructions - but when asked which service you require by the
telephone ansafone, do NOT reply - this should force an operator to respond, who can deal with you
Reboot and Post back with a new MGADiag report