Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will Certain Updates open me up to Exploits?

06 Jul 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 
Will Certain Updates open me up to Exploits?

I am just wondering... You can call me a noob if you want =)

My way of thinking is that the least amount of software that you do not use is installed.... that more protected it will be. For instance... I do not use Silverlight whatsoever. Nor do i use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Are there any windows updates that will not effect everyday use such as browsing, movies, music and gaming?

Thanks in advance.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Microsoft Security Essentials is an Anti-Virus and anti-malware app.
Silverlight will die soon, as sites and computers become HTML5-compliant.

Yes, you need updates, not only because they may offer new functionality, but also because they plug holes in existing software to actually reduce the number of wxploits that can be used.

Neither MSE nor Silverlight are updates - but once installed they should be updated as often as necessary, as should all installed software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is an Anti-Virus and anti-malware app.
Silverlight will die soon, as sites and computers become HTML5-compliant.

Yes, you need updates, not only because they may offer new functionality, but also because they plug holes in existing software to actually reduce the number of wxploits that can be used.

Neither MSE nor Silverlight are updates - but once installed they should be updated as often as necessary, as should all installed software.
OK Awesome that what i wanted to know. I know what MSE is, but i'd rather use something else as my gmail was hacked the day after i used my laptop, which had MSE installed. I used it because i was told it was "Sufficient".

And, of course, i ALWAYS install updates. Its actually what prompted my question. =)

Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Jul 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Your gmail being hacked has absolutely nothing to do with your anti-virus.
It's purely down to bad security practices by you.
Unless you installed an email client, your GMail resides only on the google servers, and not on your computer - so you must have allowed someone to find and use your password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #5

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Your gmail being hacked has absolutely nothing to do with your anti-virus.
It's purely down to bad security practices by you.
Unless you installed an email client, your GMail resides only on the google servers, and not on your computer - so you must have allowed someone to find and use your password.
Thanks for your input but I'm not an idiot. I change my password every 3 months, has only happened to me after using the laptop, and no 1 would know my password unless they would be able to read my mind. What you are insinuating is that I am the cause and not the security on my computer. I understand where you're coming from but I know how to secure my computer. I do online transactions all the time on my main machine and have never had my bank account hacked. And if I did make a mistake which ended up getting my gmail account hacked them the security software that I use on my main machine most definitely does make a difference because I did nothing different on the laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

I'll bet that you access a number of different networks on your laptop, and only one (probably wired) on your desktop.

Many networks are insecure, and some have traffic sniffers.

Public networks are inherently insecure and should be treated with caution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2012   #7

Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I'll bet that you access a number of different networks on your laptop, and only one (probably wired) on your desktop.

Many networks are insecure, and some have traffic sniffers.

Public networks are inherently insecure and should be treated with caution.
To be honest I stay at the house on my home network with the laptop. I don't even know why I own 1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will Certain Updates open me up to Exploits?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Will Certain Updates open me up to Exploits?
Thread Forum
windows media player 12 updates the libraries every time I open it Music, Pictures & Video
New Rootkit exploits 64-bit version of Windows 7 Security News
Java Exploits Security News
Browser exploits. Browsers & Mail
Rogue PDFs account for 80% of all exploits. Security News
Researchers up ante, create exploits for IE7, IE8 System Security
With Exploits on the Way, It's Critical Win 7 Testers R News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33