Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows update will not work properly

12 Jul 2012   #11
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
There is/was no problem with the WAT update in the report - that set of errors merely indicates that the update is not installed (not that there is any problem!)
Ok. cool. I have no idea (that's why I'm here)

Quote:
The poster may or may not choose to install it - but it's (almost certainly) irrelevant to the current situation in any case.

@Linds6292 - the report shows your system to be 32-bit (x86). I assume you've now installed the update OK? (not that it matters - hopefully your updates will now properly install)
I will try now.

Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jul 2012   #12
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
There is/was no problem with the WAT update in the report - that set of errors merely indicates that the update is not installed (not that there is any problem!)
Sorry, I was pretty sure that

Quote:
File Scan Data-->
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watadminsvc.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\npwatweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watux.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]
meant that the WAT update files didn't match, meaning that there was possible corruption.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2012   #13
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

Ok,

So I ran update with no problems. I'm going to try and reinstall iTunes (that didn't install properly before), see how it goes.

Linds
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jul 2012   #14
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
There is/was no problem with the WAT update in the report - that set of errors merely indicates that the update is not installed (not that there is any problem!)
Sorry, I was pretty sure that

Quote:
File Scan Data-->
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watadminsvc.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\npwatweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watux.exe[Hr = 0x80070003]
File Mismatch: C:\windows\system32\wat\watweb.dll[Hr = 0x80070003]
meant that the WAT update files didn't match, meaning that there was possible corruption.
It did make a difference to windows update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2012   #15
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

iTunes installed properly, so did Quicktime.

Thank you Noel and Keg for your help.

Lindsay
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2012   #16
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Linds6292 View Post
iTunes installed properly, so did Quicktime.

Thank you Noel and Keg for your help.

Lindsay
Glad you got things sorted and it turned out to be a fairly painless fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #17
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Linds6292 View Post
It did make a difference to windows update.
Installing the update on its own does not make any difference to the functioning of Windows Update, although it may allow the system to see updates which weren't previously visible.

It's always possible that there was a minor registry error which was corrected by the install.

Whaever - you seem to have got it sorted now, so well done, and good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #18
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Linds6292 View Post
It did make a difference to windows update.
Installing the update on its own does not make any difference to the functioning of Windows Update, although it may allow the system to see updates which weren't previously visible.
I'd say that's definitely what happened. It was instant.


Quote:
It's always possible that there was a minor registry error which was corrected by the install.

Whaever - you seem to have got it sorted now, so well done, and good luck!
Lol. I didn't do anything except follow you two. Those test results may as well have been in Chinese.

I appreciate it.

I do have one more question. though it isn't really to do with this.

The system repair/reboot/factory reset partition would not work for my new (larger hdd). Is there a way that I could make this possible (to reset my system using this new HDD) in the future if need be?

Now I have my system working properly I am going to do another clone before I put any more data on the hdd. That way I ought have a bug free place to start next time.

Lindsay
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #19
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Not really - the original disk probably had a custom MBR which reacted to the special commands from the ketstrokes required for a recovery boot.

Your best option would have been to have created the Recovery disks when you were supposed to (when you first got the computer) and kept them safe.

What you can do now is order a set of disks from the manufacturer for use in emergency.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2012   #20
Linds6292

Win 7 starter 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Not really - the original disk probably had a custom MBR which reacted to the special commands from the ketstrokes required for a recovery boot.

Your best option would have been to have created the Recovery disks when you were supposed to (when you first got the computer) and kept them safe.

What you can do now is order a set of disks from the manufacturer for use in emergency.
Will that work for a different HDD though? Sorry, I really know squat about this stuff. If this stuff is important I wish manufacturers would inform you in manuals or at least provide the disks. But I suppose this is what they do with the recovery partition, (is it)?

Is taking a copy of my now working computer's hdd just as effective if something goes wrong?

Thanks

Lindsay
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows update will not work properly




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Search Doesn’t Work Properly – Yet Again!
I realise this subject has just about been done to death, e.g. by Lithium on 07-06-2011, but I just have to let off steam somehow - it really doesn't seem to work! Let me explain. I recently acquired an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop computer, with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium pre-installed. ...
General Discussion
Re-installed windows 7 and windows update will not work properly
Since I re-installed my Windows 7 last week, Windows Update would not work. When I got to the section to check for updates, there is a red shield with an 'x' in it. When i click the button that says "check for updates" I get a message saying "Windows Update cannot check for updates because the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Drivers do not work properly after install of Windows 7
First let me give a bit of a backstory. I have an Acer laptop that I got recently that came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I bought a Windows 7 Upgrade CD before that to upgrade the computer I'm using right now from Vista to Windows 7. Anyway, I'm planning to sell the laptop. Windows...
Drivers
Windows 7 Search Does Not Work Properly.
Hello, I seem to be having an annoying problem with my Windows search. (The one at the bottom of the 'Start' menu..) The past few months it doesn't search for files I KNOW are on the computer. (In my documents) It just says 'No items match your search'. My search settings are as follows ...
General Discussion
Does Litestep work properly with Windows 7?
Hi, recently i had tested out Litestep on windows 7 to see if it works properly.. it had loaded up and started the default theme, I then downloaded a skin and tried to apply it via the theme manager ... it had imported the theme however as it was to apply the theme it had crashed.. I reloaded...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App