Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Activation issue after clean install on new hard drive

08 Aug 2012   #131
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrbongo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
@mrbongo, I admire you Patience on this, most people would have given up and ended up hacking their System, makes you wonder how many people have actually bought pre-installed windows and ended up in the same situation.

Well Done!!
I think the most frustrating aspect is that if I owned a different brand of Notebook I could have simply made a call and used recovery disks available, the only task would be data retrieval.

If something is worth doing then it deserves a similar degree of effort.

If I hadn't come across the excellent help on here, I would still be sat scratching my head.
It's funny you mention that because I didn't want to discourage you since it's slightly different but was tempted to link the most egregious thread I've ever seen about OEMS which is still a top search result for Samsung: New laptop, changing partition disks?

It would be sweet justice is you worked with SIW2 to find a way to mount and run the Samsung Recovery partition, which we could see live on via Google to spite their tech support parody troupe which actually told Nicole she had to buy new licenses for ALL of the software is the reimaged her HD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Aug 2012   #132
mrbongo

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrbongo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
@mrbongo, I admire you Patience on this, most people would have given up and ended up hacking their System, makes you wonder how many people have actually bought pre-installed windows and ended up in the same situation.

Well Done!!
I think the most frustrating aspect is that if I owned a different brand of Notebook I could have simply made a call and used recovery disks available, the only task would be data retrieval.

If something is worth doing then it deserves a similar degree of effort.

If I hadn't come across the excellent help on here, I would still be sat scratching my head.
It's funny you mention that because I didn't want to discourage you since it's slightly different but was tempted to link the most egregious thread I've ever seen about OEMS which is still a top search result for Samsung: New laptop, changing partition disks?

It would be sweet justice is you worked with SIW2 to find a way to mount and run the Samsung Recovery partition, which we could see live on via Google to spite their tech support parody troupe which actually told Nicole she had to buy new licenses for ALL of the software is the reimaged her HD.
God that experience sounds like a similar nightmare.

To be honest, how I felt about Samsungs 'assistance' was that this fine detail was almost small print that they don't tell people about and when you find out, it's too late.

Having read over some of the manuals and guides that came included with my laptop, it seems that for some, they do supply the recovery disc (as in Nicoles case) and for others, your only hope is having the recovery partition and Samsungs Recovery solution.

The two go hand in hand so if you don't have one of these - or like me, you do but it's on a duff hard drive - then there is no recovery option.

I've always compared laptops capabilities when buying to make sure I'm not saving money but creating headaches by buying a cheap model that I will spend more time and money trying to mod. And while the R530 was probably at the cheaper end, it had what I needed so did not see this s**tstorm coming.

At the very least, I expect to be able to factory restore if everything goes wrong. And while I'm not averse to getting my hands dirty and figuring it all out, there's gotta be people out there with basic computer skills who just want to be able to pop in a disc and go through simple steps to recover their PC.

Telling people to buy new OS and software is poor advice. Imagine losing your house keys and a having to move house and buy replacement furniture.

There's also conflicting advice given by the retailer PC World as the person I spoke to said re:recovery disks that if my laptop was purchased less than 30 days ago (as Nicoles was) I could take it to store to have use of the Holy Grail Recovery Disc.

I guess in her case they knew that she'd already tried, the partition was gone and sensibly replaced.

Booooo Samsung! I used to really like your stuff but now I doubt I would buy again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #133
mrbongo

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night.

Ok, answers on a postcard for this one:

The aim here it to get the recovery partition from old drive onto new. New drive already has a system partition which boots into Windows 7. Does this override anything else that is on the drive at boot? Or does the boot menu dictate what goes first or give me the option before proceeding?

In other words, as long as I can get the recovery partition on there, the easy bit is telling it to boot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Aug 2012   #134
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrbongo View Post
This is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night.

Ok, answers on a postcard for this one:

The aim here it to get the recovery partition from old drive onto new. New drive already has a system partition which boots into Windows 7. Does this override anything else that is on the drive at boot? Or does the boot menu dictate what goes first or give me the option before proceeding?

In other words, as long as I can get the recovery partition on there, the easy bit is telling it to boot?
What benefit is there in having the recovery partition on the new drive? In my mind it was only to be able to restore a w7 installation that would be validated as genuine. You are now making images which can be used instead of the recovery partition to restore your system. If necessary (because of image restore failure) you could fresh install using the iso you downloaded and use the key you got from MS to validate it (don't let that tattoo fade).

The only thing I can think of that you're missing is the OEM bloatware that was initially installed on the machine. You can usually get that by downloading it from the OEM website if you really wanted it. But you would have to put that software through the paces to ensure it worked properly.

Or am I missing the point of your query? If I am, can you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window so we can see the two drives and their partitions? I'm thinking your machine will boot fine without the old drive and I can see no need to boot to the recovery partition (if that's what you're worried about).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #135
gregrocker

 

Yes, I should have made it more clear that I think you're covered now with the backup images - against the possibility that it might turn out to be a one-use key.

I was only reminiscing about the epic Nicole thread and how then and now it would be great if SIW2's genius could be applied to finally learn how to mount and run the Samsung Recovery partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #136
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes, I should have made it more clear that I think you're covered now with the backup images - against the possibility that it might turn out to be a one-use key.
Very good point! Forgot about that one-use bit. How can it be determined?

How could one feel comfortable when first testing an image restore to ensure that it truly works? You would have to have a key that you know is valid or you have to do the test on a spare blank hard drive.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I was only reminiscing about the epic Nicole thread and how then and now it would be great if SIW2's genius could be applied to finally learn how to mount and run the Samsung Recovery partition.
I was hoping to see this through as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #137
mrbongo

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Sorry folks, was just thinking out loud.

If I get to a solution I will post again.

If the key is a one-use will I avoid activating again just by using the backup images?

The MGADiag shows:

Remaining Windows rearm count as: 3

So I guess 3 more activations using that code before it expires.

The lady on the phone did tell me to keep the key safe so I assume I can use it again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #138
F5ing

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've used images to restore many machines, XP, Vista and 7 and have never had activation issues, including some machines being restored multiple times. It never fails as long as the drive being imaged is relatively healthy.

It would be much better to hear this from Noel, but the way I understand it that re-arm count has to do with installs that have not been validated. It allows a number of 30 day grace periods of use before being marked as non-genuine. I'm guessing that in your case it would be three more 30 day grace periods if it wasn't already validated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2012   #139
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

mrbongo
I don't think the Key you have is a one-use code - my limited experience of such codes is that they show as being Retail Keys, rather than OEM_COA keys

There's one way to find out - but you *really* don't wanna go there! <eg>

The 'rearm count' is standad, and not related to teh number of activations available -it's the number of times that the (unactivated) system can be re-armed before activation is mandatory .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2012   #140
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Just as a FWIW, this is probably the reason that PCWorld (rightly) refused to supply a copy of the disk to mrbongo
Exclusive: Microsoft Discusses Comet Lawsuit | WebProNews

That does NOT mean that Samsung can apply the same reasoning - and in fact makes their stance even more egregious.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Activation issue after clean install on new hard drive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I clean install on a hybrid hard drive?
How do I clean install on a hybrid hard drive?
Installation & Setup
Clean install from iso w/SP1 on HP oem laptop activation issue
After reading this fine forum I decided to do a clean install on my laptop, just too much bloat ware on the 4 dvd set. I wiped the drive and made 1 small partion 120G for the install to save on # of partitions. Everything went smooth except for the non genuine and of course the huge update. Have...
Windows Updates & Activation
Clean Install Activation Issue with Win7 Upgrades
I recently installed a new SSD hard drive and did a clean install of Windows 7 Professional on it. Regrettably, it's not letting me validate it with my product key because my original hard drive started with Windows 7 Home Premium (I have the product key for that) and I had downloaded the...
Installation & Setup
Hard Drive Crashed. Clean Install Possible?
Hello! Sadly, the hard drive inside my dell inspiron died :( I honestly can not get it to work. Windows is unbootable, and another computer can't recognize the drive. So, I was wondering if it was possible to use a Windows 7 .iso to install windows 7 on the new drive. Will the product key on...
Installation & Setup
Clean Install of Win7 - Wipe Hard Drive Clean
Hi Folks, I just did a clean install of Win7 and must have done something wrong. I found a file called Windows.old.:confused: I would like to wipe my hard drive completely clean and then install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I accomplish this task? It's a good time to...
Installation & Setup
Do i have to partition my hard drive for clean install?
hi, I have download windows 7, backed up all my drivers and copied all my important info onto my external Hard drive and am about to try and clean install windows 7. But do i have to partition the hard drive? My Dell laptop has a 110GB hard drive which came already partitioned. 10GB is...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App