Here's how I fixed the issue. The first time I got the update error I actually had two other updates along with KB2698365 that installed correctly, but continued to show needing to be installed...they were two updates for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 KB2600217 and KB2656351. No matter how many times I successfully installed them, they kept coming back. I think the two issues were somehow related, but don't know for sure.
- I first uninstalled Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended and Client Profile from my program list and then reinstalled them. After installing them, I did a Windows update search and found several new updates that were probably being hung up by whatever issues the .NET Framework 4 installs were causing.
- I then installed all the new updates except for the security one KB2698365
If the .NET Framework 4 stuff isn't applicable, I guess forget the first two bullets.
Download: Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2698365) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
- Now with that out of the way, I was able to focus once again on the KB2698365 security update error. I tried to manually install this update previously without success. However, after some time I realized that the version I was trying to manually update was a v6.0. From my CheckSUR log it appeared the update was supposed to be v6.1. I finally found the correct manual update file here:
- After manually installing the correct version (imagine that, installing the correct update worked!) that cleared my CheckSUR log up for the most part. There was however two additional files that needed to be repaired after running the System Update Readiness Tool, shown below:
Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption
- The following website was very helpful in repairing those last couple files:
- It essentially consisted of unzipping the .msu and then the .cab file and finding the update.mum and update.cat files and renaming them to what you see above in my CheckSUR log and saving them in the directory identified in the website above and rerunning the System Update Readiness Tool.
- That fixed everything for me.