Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows cannot update no update service


10 Oct 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows cannot update no update service

Hello All,

i'm working on a pc currently, and have run into a big issue while trying to fix another, and i have just noticed this pc has not been updated since it was purchased.

I have tried running windows updates but receive the error message
"windows cannot update the service is currently not running you may need to reboot your pc"

i rebooted with no change then i went into services.msc and attempted to restart the services for update but there are no update services in there (?)

i ran the windows update located on these forums that reset's the update history as well as the services with no change

i have ran anything i could find on the support site for microsoft for windows update, the trouble shooter turned up nothing.

i have also attempted ot add the wuau.adm template but there is none to be found..


basically how it looks to me currently is as if windows update is not installed/located on this computer anywhere

as well all thefixes are saying update is working
and yes i have turned automatic update off and then on again



any help would be much appreciated


thank you


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Oct 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 


Open Windows Update
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Never Update...'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Now open Windows update again
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Update automatically'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Open Windows Update, and do a manual Check for Updates.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Open Windows Update
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Never Update...'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Now open Windows update again
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Update automatically'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Open Windows Update, and do a manual Check for Updates.
Returns the same message saying that the service is not running
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Oct 2012   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

OK
Please open an Elevated Command Prompt window and run the following commands

NET START WUAUSERV
NET START BFE
NET START BITS
NET START TRUSTEDINSTALLER

copy the results to your reply.


Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the CP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
OK
Please open an Elevated Command Prompt window and run the following commands

NET START WUAUSERV
NET START BFE
NET START BITS
NET START TRUSTEDINSTALLER

copy the results to your reply.


Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the CP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

NET START WUAUSERV
the service name is invalid

more help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185

NET START BFE
the requested service has already been started

more help is avialable by typing NET HELPMSG 2182

NET START BITS
the service name is invalid

more help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185

NET START TRUSTEDINSTALLER
the windows module installer service is starting
the windows module installer service was started succesfully


note: when typing NET HELPMSG 2185 it says 'the service name is invalid'


edit: sorry didn't see teh bottom part about copying and pasting here it is

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>net start wuauserv
The service name is invalid.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

C:\Windows\system32>net start bfe
The requested service has already been started.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

C:\Windows\system32>net start bits
The service name is invalid.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2185.

C:\Windows\system32>net start trustedinstaller
The Windows Modules Installer service is starting.
The Windows Modules Installer service was started successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>net helpmsg 2185
The service name is invalid.

C:\Windows\system32>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

OK - both the WUAUSERV and BITS services have been 'uninstalled' probably by a VERY nasty piece of malware, called ZeroAccess.

If this is the case, you should seek specialist malware removal assistance before bothering with system repair, as there's a good chance that your best option would be to reformat and reinstall.

What anti-virus are you using? Is it up-to-date? (has it always been kept up-to-date?)
What other security software is installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
OK - both the WUAUSERV and BITS services have been 'uninstalled' probably by a VERY nasty piece of malware, called ZeroAccess.

If this is the case, you should seek specialist malware removal assistance before bothering with system repair, as there's a good chance that your best option would be to reformat and reinstall.

What anti-virus are you using? Is it up-to-date? (has it always been kept up-to-date?)
What other security software is installed?

I believe that they thought they had AVG 2012 but it keeps asking for a reboot to update it but i have rebooted many many many times in last couple of days trying to resolve issues on this pc

also when i attempt to open avg it crash's everytime


are there any specialized tools that youw ould recommend for malware of this magnitude
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Only a reformat/reinstall, unless you have access to an expert in removal.

There is no easy fix that I know of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Only a reformat/reinstall, unless you have access to an expert in removal.

There is no easy fix that I know of.
well that's unfortunate to hear, i will ahve to discuss and see what the best course of action from here would be, but i thank you for your help you saved me a lot of time by letting me know this bit of info


thank you
I hope you have a great day
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2012   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

The day's nearly over for me 19:30 already.

Good luck with it!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows cannot update no update service




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows cannot update no update service
Thread Forum
windows update service is not running !!! Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update says service isn't running (When it is) Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update service not running Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update service is not working Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 update service not present Windows Updates & Activation
How do I update to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Windows Updates & Activation
How to repair the windows update service Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33