Windows Update Posting Instructions
This is a set of posting instructions to use so that you can get better help here at SevenForums.com
when you have a Windows Update issue.
1. System Update Readiness Tool (SURT)
Never, under any circumstances, follow the instructions posted to another user who appears to be having the same problem as you (unless specifically instructed to). Windows Update problems are very computer specific and following instructions made to another user will probably do more harm than good.
2. SFC Scan
- Under the For Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 header, click on Method 2 to view the instructions relevant for your computer.
System Update Readiness Tool fixes Windows Update errors in Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008
- Download the appropriate version of the SURT and save the file to your Desktop.
NOTE: It is likely that we will need to run this file multiple times, so make sure you keep it.
- Double-click on the file to install it.
- Leave it to run uninterrupted. It may appear to freeze or hang, but this is perfectly normal. If it still hasn't finished after a few hours, then notify us in your post.
3. Windows Update Error Codes
- Click on the Start button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
- When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
- When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each
- It will notify you when it has completed, you can now close the Command Prompt window
In your post, you need to specify what error codes/messages
you are receiving when an update fails. The screenshot below shows where error codes are displayed:
4. Log Collection
The steps that we have done have limited automated fixing capabilities, however they are excellent diagnostic tools and generate very informative logs.
5. Start a New Thread
- Navigate to the following folder:
- Right-click and on the CBS folder and select Copy.
- Minimise all open windows and right-click on your Desktop, then select Paste.
- Right-click on the CBS folder on your Desktop and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
- A file, CBS.zip should appear on your Desktop.
Please do not
post in another thread saying that you require assistance, it makes things very confusing. If you have a problem that you would like help with, please start a new thread of your own! Your post should include the error codes from step #3 and the CBS.zip file created in step #4. Here's how to attach it to your post: Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
Now the rest is down to us!