Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 update fails and Windows not genuine message is appearing


01 Feb 2013   #151

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hi Louis,

The never ending saga indeed, as soon as I fix one problem, another one springs up!

Open your start menu and in the box, type services.msc then click on it when it loads. Scroll down the list of services until you see Windows Search and double click on it. Change the Startup type to Automatic (Delayed start) then click the Start button. Click Apply, OK then close services.msc. With a bit of luck, the search service should now be running. If it isn't, please reboot and try again.

Tom


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2013   #152

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Tom,

I thought I had sent this earlier, but for some reason it didn't get sent. In any event, I tried the above. Search was already in Automatic (delayed start), but it was stopped. When I tried to start it, I got the attached message.

Sorry for the delay. I thought that I had already sent this.

Louis


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 update fails and  Windows not genuine message is appearing-screen-shot-02-01-13.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2013   #153

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Tom,

I'm not sure that I should keep taking your valuable time. I spent this afternoon just trying to find out why the above won't work. I looked at a number of this forum's threads on the subject and followed a number of leads with no good results. I suspect that the RAM failure that started all of this caused pretty significant damage. That is mostly my fault because I didn't realize that RAM was the problem and tried numerous fixes, mostly from this forum. Several attempts at trying to repair from the Windows disc and I've forgotten some of the things that I tried. I think it is amazing that you were able to correct all of the problems in the registry. If you would like to stop on this one, it will be OK with me. I will probably have to just do a clean install, as bad as I hate to. I have a lot of software, particularly graphics, so it will be a chore.

Louis
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Feb 2013   #154

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by louk1 View Post
Tom,

I thought I had sent this earlier, but for some reason it didn't get sent. In any event, I tried the above. Search was already in Automatic (delayed start), but it was stopped. When I tried to start it, I got the attached message.

Sorry for the delay. I thought that I had already sent this.

Louis
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by louk1 View Post
Tom,

I'm not sure that I should keep taking your valuable time. I spent this afternoon just trying to find out why the above won't work. I looked at a number of this forum's threads on the subject and followed a number of leads with no good results. I suspect that the RAM failure that started all of this caused pretty significant damage. That is mostly my fault because I didn't realize that RAM was the problem and tried numerous fixes, mostly from this forum. Several attempts at trying to repair from the Windows disc and I've forgotten some of the things that I tried. I think it is amazing that you were able to correct all of the problems in the registry. If you would like to stop on this one, it will be OK with me. I will probably have to just do a clean install, as bad as I hate to. I have a lot of software, particularly graphics, so it will be a chore.

Louis
Hi Louis,

Don't worry about me, I'm perfectly happy to help out! Sorry I haven't been able to post much over the past few days, I've got a horrible cold.

I've been looking into your Search issue and the only thing that I've seen is to delete a few files, but I really don't know what these do and I don't want to go deleting things that I don't know what they are because we'll probably end up with more problems than we started with. The other problems aren't much fuss, it's just this search problem that's causing the hassle. I hate to say it, but I'm completely out of ideas on this one, so I've got nothing left to resort to but a repair install. Have you already tried a repair install?

Repair Install

It will keep all of your software installed, just repair the Windows files and settings so it should be relatively quick and easy to do. If that fails, then it's clean install time:

Clean Install Windows 7

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help and thank you so much for being so patient on this one, it took far too long to sort out your registry but we got there in the end

It was a pleasure working with you.

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2013   #155

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Tom,

Thanks so very much for your time and your help. You certainly cleaned up a great deal of the mess and I was able to learn a great deal as well. I really appreciate the help. I will try the repair install before doing a clean install. My Windows 7 disc does not have the SP1, so I ordered the SP1 disc from MS. I will try the repair after I get the disc. I suspect that when I removed all of the MS updates, following a forum lead, I probably really screwed things up. In any event I'll keep at it until it is corrected.

Thanks again for your help and good luck with your studies. I'll keep you posted.

Louis
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2013   #156

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hi Louis,

You're most welcome for the help. It's always nice to help someone so patient and appreciative!

We could have made a SP1 disc, but knowing our luck, we probably would have run into another problem! Ordering one is probably easiest.

Great, do let me know how you get on, I'm determined to get your machine stable again.

Feel free to post here or send me a message if you ever need any more help, no matter how small or large the problem.

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2013   #157

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I dont have the link atm but you could get the dell sp1 download and burn it to a disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Feb 2013   #158

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Parman View Post
I dont have the link atm but you could get the dell sp1 download and burn it to a disk.
If it's already ordered, I don't know whether it's possible to cancel. It's here:

Dell Community
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #159

windows 7 pro 64 bit
 
 

Tom,

Just to keep you up to date, I have not received my disc from MS yet, but I did the downloaded version referenced in the "how to". I tried it twice. Both times it stopped at the affected software area and told me to deactivate ITunes. I did that as well as uninstalling it. It still stopped at that area and still made the statement about Itunes. So I proceeded with the repair and each time it would go through the first step of loading the windows files and then it stops with a message that it can not proceed and that I should start over.

I also tried my original disc which does not have SP1 and it stopped pretty quick with a message that my installed version was newer than the version on the disc. I guess that confirms that I do have SP1 installed. In any event, I'll try the MS disc when I receive it, but I'm not holding out much hope for success.

I would completely wipe out the Apple account/ID except once it is installed, supposedly it can not be removed.

Hope school is going well. I have a grandson in Virginia that was near graduation about 9 years ago and marriage halted his school. About 4 years ago, he started again with one course at a time (all that his employer would pay for). He will graduate in about 5 weeks. Real proud of him.

Louis
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2013   #160

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by louk1 View Post
Tom,

Just to keep you up to date, I have not received my disc from MS yet, but I did the downloaded version referenced in the "how to". I tried it twice. Both times it stopped at the affected software area and told me to deactivate ITunes. I did that as well as uninstalling it. It still stopped at that area and still made the statement about Itunes. So I proceeded with the repair and each time it would go through the first step of loading the windows files and then it stops with a message that it can not proceed and that I should start over.

I also tried my original disc which does not have SP1 and it stopped pretty quick with a message that my installed version was newer than the version on the disc. I guess that confirms that I do have SP1 installed. In any event, I'll try the MS disc when I receive it, but I'm not holding out much hope for success.

I would completely wipe out the Apple account/ID except once it is installed, supposedly it can not be removed.

Hope school is going well. I have a grandson in Virginia that was near graduation about 9 years ago and marriage halted his school. About 4 years ago, he started again with one course at a time (all that his employer would pay for). He will graduate in about 5 weeks. Real proud of him.

Louis
Hi Louis,

Thanks for the update. It's a shame to hear the repair install didn't work, but there's always a chance with the Microsoft disc so hope is not lost. It does, however, make a clean install a more likely outcome I'm afraid, but I'm just taking educated guesses at the moment.

It's going very well thanks! It's great to hear that he's got back into it again after so many years and that his employer was so supportive of his decision. The very best of luck to him for the future

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 update fails and Windows not genuine message is appearing




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 update fails and Windows not genuine message is appearing
Thread Forum
Solved Windows Not Genuine Notification Suddenly Started Appearing Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 giving WAT not running genuine windows message Windows Updates & Activation
Windows not genuine message plus Error message 0x8000247 Windows Updates & Activation
Built new PC, Genuine Windows 7 fails to activate Windows Updates & Activation
Windows not genuine message Windows Updates & Activation
'Windows not genuine' message even though it is genuine Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 not genuine watermark appearing. Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33