Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Update won't update.

23 Jan 2013   #21
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

This may have just fixed it, from the techguy forums:

Go into Windows Services, and stop the Windows Update Service (don't disable it, just stop it).

Control Panel (classic View) Admin Tools>computer management>Services.

Once it opens, scroll down to "Windows Update" double click it and hit the stop button in the window that opens, when it stops, click OK and then close the services window.

Now navigate to this location and delete the folder "SoftwareDistribution"

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

Restart the PC and see if WUP works now.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Jan 2013   #22
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Did you bother to read the rest of the thread?
The problems are of long standing and NOTHING to do with the softwaredistribution folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #23
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89504100/CheckSUR.persist.log

OK, here ya go.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thanks Max, my previous fix managed to clear some of the (w) errors which is good, now to nail the rest of them! It took a few hours to sift through it all, but I've managed to fix all of your registry corruption. Please download this file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16537616/CO...20Power%29.zip

Save it to your Desktop. Right click on it and click Extract All, then extract the file to your Desktop. You should have one file: COMPONENTS (with no extension).

Now navigate to this folder:

C:\Windows\system32\config

And rename the file COMPONENTS to COMPONENTS.old. If you get an error doing this, please reboot and try again.

Then paste the COMPONENTS file from your Desktop, into this location.

After you have finished doing this, reboot your computer. Then run the SURT again, and upload the log please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Tom

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Did you bother to read the rest of the thread?
The problems are of long standing and NOTHING to do with the softwaredistribution folder.
The registry corruption is quite obvious here, and it is clearly not a SoftwareDistribution problem.

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jan 2013   #24
Max Power

Window 7 Professional 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/89504100/CheckSUR.persist.log

OK, here ya go.

Thanks again for all your help!
Thanks Max, my previous fix managed to clear some of the (w) errors which is good, now to nail the rest of them! It took a few hours to sift through it all, but I've managed to fix all of your registry corruption. Please download this file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16537616/CO...20Power%29.zip

Save it to your Desktop. Right click on it and click Extract All, then extract the file to your Desktop. You should have one file: COMPONENTS (with no extension).

Now navigate to this folder:

C:\Windows\system32\config

And rename the file COMPONENTS to COMPONENTS.old. If you get an error doing this, please reboot and try again.

Then paste the COMPONENTS file from your Desktop, into this location.

After you have finished doing this, reboot your computer. Then run the SURT again, and upload the log please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Tom

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Did you bother to read the rest of the thread?
The problems are of long standing and NOTHING to do with the softwaredistribution folder.
The registry corruption is quite obvious here, and it is clearly not a SoftwareDistribution problem.

Tom
Greetings Tom!

I have a rep that is in town tonight that I have to take to dinner, so it will be tomorrow before I can give this a try. This is pretty awesome that you would spend the time on this. I don't want you o think a day of radio silence is dis-interest. I will be back tomorrow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #25
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hi Max,

I'd never consider a delay to be dis-interest, especially if it was only a day - I completely understand that people have other commitments outside of this forum, like I do

Enjoy your dinner!

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #26
Max Power

Window 7 Professional 64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #27
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hmm, there should still be 5 errors left, that's strange. I don't know why that store query has come up either.

SFC Scan

  1. Click on the Start button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  2. When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  3. When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

    sfc /scannow

    Wait for this to finish before you continue

    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

  4. This will create a file, cbs.txt on your Desktop. Please attach this to your next post.


Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jan 2013   #28
Max Power

Window 7 Professional 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hmm, there should still be 5 errors left, that's strange. I don't know why that store query has come up either.

SFC Scan

  1. Click on the Start button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  2. When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  3. When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

    sfc /scannow

    Wait for this to finish before you continue

    copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt
  4. This will create a file, cbs.txt on your Desktop. Please attach this to your next post.


Tom
I get the same Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" message in the sfc scannow command
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2013   #29
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Okay, not to worry. Do you think you will be able to do this for me? The tutorial explains everything clearly, so it shouldn't be very difficult to follow:

SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2013   #30
Max Power

Window 7 Professional 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Okay, not to worry. Do you think you will be able to do this for me? The tutorial explains everything clearly, so it shouldn't be very difficult to follow:

SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot

Tom
Looks like I will have to print this screen to follow the instructions, and I am out of printer ink. I will try sometime this weekend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Update won't update.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 - Update KB976932 and KB982526 update failure- error 800b100
Hey, I'm trying to install update KB976932 (Windows Service pack 1 for 64bit) and KB982526 (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) but I keep getting error 800b100 which stops me from doing so. I've tried deactivating my firewall; manually installing from the microsoft website; and using the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update fails in Update Check. Error code C80003FA.
Hello, I recieve error C80003FA whenever I do a Windows Update run. It doesn't get past the stage of checking for updates. I've tried several fixes including: - Waiting 15 minutes and running Windows Update again. - Letting Windows Update run on its own schedule. - SFC /Scannow -...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Update KB2887535 code 800F0900 corrupt files ?
Hello, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with Windows Updates set to download but no install yet, since many tools start at startup. However our friends decided to install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 without asking. This caused a full hang of the system, including frozen mousepointer....
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows update error 9C48, Internet Explorer update.
Hello. It all started couple of days ago when I wansn't able to start my Skype, because at the login window Skype uses Internet Explorer:( I've been trying couple of days to do something. At first I was getting internet explorer 10 update error, but somehow, magically, that update installed, but...
Windows Updates & Activation
Unable to install Windows Update: Update Kernel-mode driver framework
I am unable to update the Kernel-mode driver framework ver 1.11 for windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2685811). I get error: 80073712 Also, I am getting BSOD/stop errors in normal mode that say anything from: -memory_management 0x0000000001a, - "A device driver attempting to corrupt the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update is not working/Update Readiness Tool won't install
Win 7 64 Windows Update not working (post migration), nor is Windows Update Readiness tool installing. I have renamed catroot and stopped services, nothing working. I just migrated HD to a hybrid solid state (Seagate Momentus). I had this problem both with Acronis 2009 and Acronis 2013, and...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App