Toshiba Satellite S875D
AMD A10-4600M APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics - 2.30 GHz Ram 6 GB
OS - Windows 7 home premium SP1 64 bit (6.1, build 7601)
I'm having problems with windows update. Since about the end of January windows update is only listing the following updates:
Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2690729) Download size: 6.0 MB
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242) Download size: 2.6 MB
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (KB2467173) Download size: 18.4 MB
I went ahead and installed the Visual C++ 2005 and 2010 updates. (I ignored silverlight). The 2005 update showed that it installed successfully, the 2010 update failed with error 64C. I let it go for a few days but when I checked for new updates, the same 3 were listed. I inadvertently ran the updates again, with the same result. (as of today, 02/10/13, the same updates are listed). I investigated the C++ 2010 update failure and found several solutions (none have worked for me).
One solution was to remove the 2010 update -
MS Visual C++ 2010 x64 redistributable - 10.0.30319 installed 08/10/2012
MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable - 10.0.30319 installed 08/10/2012
Notice the install date, I purchased this computer December 2012. Of course, when I try to delete the programs, I get the message that the msi program is not found and I do not have it any longer. One suggestion was to download the redistributable program directly and run a repair. Naturally this failed because I do not have the msi program and remove doesn't work either because of the missing msi. Since the 2010 package was installed before I bought the computer I don't have a restore point to go back to.
I have the same problem with the 2005 package, but I do have a restore point to go back to if I have to.
So, this is what I have done so far:
- ran SURT (no errors found)
- ran sfc /scannow (no problems found)
- ran the 'fix windows update' from control panel. it did report that there was a problem and it was fixed?
- ran several virus scans (nothing found)
- ran ccleaner to check for registry problems or discrepancies (none found)
- completed How do I reset Windows Update components?
'reset windows update components' (a few of
the dll's were not found)
- downloaded and tried to run the visual C++ 2010 redist package x64 and x86 (did not work due to
missing msi program)
- tried running the update from safe boot (same result)
- removed folders from c:\windows\softwaredistribution; rebooted and reran windows update and it came back with the same 3 updates. also, my history log is gone. I only moved the folders so if someone can tell me which folder has the history file I would appreciate it.
Before I go any further (and maybe really screw things up worse) I really would appreciate any other ideas. And, by the way, what happened to the $ntuninstallkb files?
Here's the checksur log (it's short) The CBS log is attached.
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 17.0
Checking Windows Servicing Packages
Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
Checking Package Watchlist
Checking Component Watchlist
Checking Component Store
Seconds executed: 789
No errors detected