Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Concern About Latest Updates

15 Feb 2013   #1

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Concern About Latest Updates

Hi, I usually read here before updating. After reading here recently, I'm concerned about problems I may have with these latest updates.

I have had this used computer from ebay for 6 or so months and done all the updates 3 or 4 times. The one update with a problem, a month or two back, I got the answers here of how to update one at a time saving the specific problematic update til the last.

So, I use Windows 7 Ultimate on a 2007 Toshiba Satellite. I do the HD drive cleaning, check HD, and defrag on regular basis. I clean IE9 "delete browsing history" weekly if not more.

I guess what I need to do is create a newer restore and reapair DVD disc, before attempting these lastest updates. My question for the experts here, is do you have any advice for me, besides my plans to create newer restore and repair discs?

I guess I'm likely to have some of the problems others have here. I dunno. Rybo

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Feb 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rybosix View Post
I guess what I need to do is create a newer restore and reapair DVD disc, before attempting these lastest updates. My question for the experts here, is do you have any advice for me, besides my plans to create newer restore and repair discs?
Just a couple of questions if I may to make sure I'm understanding things. I'm confused by your reference to a "restore and repair DVD disc". A "restore" disk (also called a "recovery" disk) is usually provided by a computer manufacturer. It allows you to restore your computer to factory specifications so your computer would be exactly how it was when it left the factory. This kind of disk normally isn't updated to a newer version.

Or were you referring to a "restore point" which is something you could create before attempting to install the latest Windows Updates? If the updates don't install correctly or if they give you problems, you could restore your machine back to a pre-update condition.

System Restore Point - Create

System Restore

On the other hand, were you talking about a System Repair Disk? This kind of disk simply allows you to access various repair functions that are built into Windows 7. This is normally a one-time creation and it doesn't need to be updated. If the disk became scratched or otherwise damaged, that's about the only time you'd have to create a new disk. The Repair Disk is absolutely not the same as a manufacturer's recovery/restore disk and it is absolutely not an installation disk (you can't use it to reinstall Windows 7.)

System Repair Disc - Create

Hope this helps clarify things. If I misunderstood your question I sincerely apologize.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2013   #3

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Concerns About Latest Updates

Quote:
A "restore" disk (also called a "recovery" disk) is usually provided by a computer manufacturer. It allows you to restore your computer to factory specifications so your computer would be exactly how it was when it left the factory. This kind of disk normally isn't updated to a newer version.
Hi Mars, and yes I was referring to restore/recovery disc. I made one when I first bought this used Toshiba 32 bit laptop computer. Did the same thing for my wifes brand new Toshiba when she first got it, as that is what the paper work said I should do.

My thoughts were that since I've done a few updates that were probably to the OS, that creating a newer restore/recovery disk will be contain my latest OS, applications, and data...

Quote:
Or were you referring to a "restore point" which is something you could create before attempting to install the latest Windows Updates? If the updates don't install correctly or if they give you problems, you could restore your machine back to a pre-update condition.

Ahh, yeah that is a good option I forgot about because In many ways I'm relatively new to Windows PC's. I did watch my step-son do go back to a restore point once, on my computer, because he inloaded some application that was screwing with my OS.

I think backcopy of computer is also what I thought the restore/recovery disc was. Maybe not, so I may also need a backup disc. I dunno about that.

I would clone to my external HD except it is already formatted for my Mac-mini so I would have to erase it and reformat two partitions, and then I could use it for both Mac and PC


Quote:


Thanks for those links. If I have a problem with these newest security upates, I may need to use them.

Quote:
On the other hand, were you talking about a System Repair Disk? This kind of disk simply allows you to access various repair functions that are built into Windows 7. This is normally a one-time creation and it doesn't need to be updated.
Ahh, ok, good thought that "repair disc" it does not need to be updated. Thanks.

Quote:
If the disk became scratched or otherwise damaged, that's about the only time you'd have to create a new disk. The Repair Disk is absolutely not the same as a manufacturer's recovery/restore disk and it is absolutely not an installation disk (you can't use it to reinstall Windows 7.)
Ok, I understand. I guess it does those things I do in "propteries" of my C disc, "clean disk" "check HD", and defrag.

Quote:


I think you understood good and certainly help clarify my question and options in regards to what to do if these latest updates give me "error codes" or not "genuine messages", like others appear to be having.

So, it appears to me, that there has not been any work around posted here at Sevens Group, that will act to avoid these issues before doing the update, so, it is time for me to learn how to create a restore point, and make a restore/recovery and data saved/back-up disc.

Thanks again Mars, and if you hear of any ideas that will hep my OS to avoid these issues with latest updates please let me know? Thanks again.

Tosihiba Stelite, 32 bit OS, Service Pack 1, T2080, 1.73Ghz, 29 free gigs space

Rybo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Feb 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

OK, I think I've got a better understanding now of what your concerns are. Couple of things to consider.

Quote:
My thoughts were that since I've done a few updates that were probably to the OS, that creating a newer restore/recovery disk will be contain my latest OS, applications, and data...
Most computers that were manufactured in the last 2 - 3 years have a hidden partition on the hard drive called a recovery partition. This partition enables you to restore the machine to factory specifications. The restore/recovery disk(s) that you made are (for all intents and purposes) identical to the hidden recovery partition. Since the recovery partition is hidden, it doesn't get accessed during normal computer usage and therefore doesn't change. You could certainly go through the steps to create another recovery/restore disk but it would be identical to the first. What will allow you to save your latest updates, applications, data, etc is a System Image.

A system image is kinda like a snapshot of the entire hard drive. It includes the OS, your personal settings, all currently installed programs and their updates, your personal data, etc. If you made a system image today, and your computer got a virus tomorrow, you could use that system image to restore your machine to the exact condition it was in at the time you made the system image. It's best to store the image on an external hard drive because (a) it would have room to store multiple images and (b) the external hard drive can be kept in a safe location to be used on an as neded basis (to create a new image or to restore an image.) Investing in another external hard drive devoted to strictly system images would be money well spent. Prices have come back down and I've seen 500GB drives for about $60 and 1TB drives for under $100.

Some folks use the built in Windows 7 imaging tool. It's pretty basic and doesn't offer the same flexibility as other imaging software. The second most popular imaging software is free and it's called Macrium Reflect. Personally, I use both just as a safety net (redundancy.)

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

System Image Recovery

Imaging with free Macrium

The tutorials might look intimidating but creating a system image is really pretty straight-forward. (If I can do it anyone can. ) And there will always be someone on this Forum to help out if you have any questions about how to do a System Image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2013   #5

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Concerns Latest Updates

Quote:
Most computers that were manufactured in the last 2 - 3 years have a hidden partition on the hard drive called a recovery partition. What will allow you to save your latest updates, applications, data, etc is a System Image.
2007 Toshiba and I'm pretty sure I have no such partition on this HD.

"disk image" sounds just like "clone". You seem to suggest that if a made a new restore/recovery disc, will not contain all the information as it is on my HD drive now, and that a disk image--- or a cloning application ---onto an external drive is the best option to get all of my current data on my HD backed-up.

Yeah, Ideally I would have external drive to "disk image"/clone my HD too, as I stated previously I do have already, just problematic to erase, partition with appropriate fromats, clone mac again, then disk image/clone PC to the same external HD.

Quote:
Some folks use the built in Windows 7 imaging tool. It's pretty basic and doesn't offer the same flexibility as other imaging software. The second most popular imaging software is free and it's called Macrium Reflect. Personally, I use both just as a safety net (redundancy.)
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Imaging with free Macrium
Yeah I looked into cloning a PC some years back-- 7 - 9 ---for my wife's PC at her work place. There was only one free one I could find then.

So, I assuming I get a "disk image"/clone of my HD, then I'm still back to my "Concerns About the latest updates" i.e. if you or others have heard any ideas that will assist me with avoiding any problems with these updates.

I went to "Updates Activation" thread and followed links to "System Windows Information"(SWI ) to assess wether my product key code is genuine. The back of my computer does have the appropriate MS label, althouth it is faded.

Anyway the link too SWI made me download Utility Chest, and then 2nd time made me try and load 7zipdecompression etc.....stuff I dont want activated and I've spent last hour getting rid of the Uitlity Chest on my PC..

So now I'm bacl to following those links to try and get the actual SWI program to find my product key code etc....

Meanwhile it appears I may be days or weeks away from actually inloading these latest updates till I have this list of other related things in place, and even then, I may have to go through all of the problematics hoops that I see others have gone through, and even then some of them may not have come to a completed install of new updates with properly functioning Windows 7 OS.

Thanks again, Rybo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2013   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Ahh . . . a 2007 computer probably didn't have the recovery partition. To find your Product Key try Belarc Advisor. It's free, doesn't ask you to install other stuff, and it's a simple removal through control panel > programs and features.

Belarc Advisor

As far as "Concerns About the latest updates" I've always followed the unofficial one-at-a-time rule. If there are 5 or fewer updates, I do one at a time and reboot the computer after each one. If there's more that 5 but less than 10 I'll do half, reboot, then do the other half, reboot. If more than 10 I'll do just a few at a time, reboot, do the next few, reboot, etc. It's a slower process but I've never had any issues in the 3 + years I've been using Windows 7. If you keep track of the KB numbers in each group, you'll know exactly which one(s) to unistall if you run into problems after rebooting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2013   #7

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Concerns Latest Updates

Quote:
marsmimar}Ahh . . . a 2007 computer probably didn't have the recovery partition. To find your Product Key try Belarc Advisor. It's free, doesn't ask you to install other stuff, and it's a simple removal through control panel > programs and features.
Belarc Advisor
Thanks Mars, I will try that one next.

Quote:
As far as "Concerns About the latest updates" I've always followed the unofficial one-at-a-time rule. If there are 5 or fewer updates, I do one at a time and reboot the computer after each one. If there's more that 5 but less than 10 I'll do half, reboot, then do the other half, reboot. If more than 10 I'll do just a few at a time, reboot, do the next few, reboot, etc. It's a slower process but I've never had any issues in the 3 + years I've been using Windows 7. If you keep track of the KB numbers in each group, you'll know exactly which one(s) to unistall if you run into problems after rebooting.

Ahh, and unoficial set of rules...yeah, that did work good for me that one time.

I'm not sure I know how to uninstall and update yet tho....that would be ideal if the computer still works after any offending update.

First I need to review the "setting to a restore point" info. I keep hoping some new info will get posted or a new set of updates that will overide this latest set, that are giving problems to some.

Rybo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2013   #8

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 
Concerns Latest Updates

Quote:
marsmimar}Product Key try Belarc Advisor. It's free, doesn't ask you to install other stuff, and it's a simple removal through control panel > programs and features.
Belarc Advisor
Hey that was easy and a very comprehensive app. that did as you stated and listed my license product key code.

I guess it is time to go read about restore point. thanks again Mars, for you excellent advise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2013   #9

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Let me try to understand this.

1. Used 2007 computer from Ebay.
2. You installed Windows 7 Ultimate.
3. You don't have a COA key you can't read it
on the computer.
4. You are having concerns about problems with Windows 7 updates.
--------------------------
Where is the COA key you use to activate Windows 7 Ultimate?
You should of got that key with the Ultimate that you installed.
Where did you get your copy of Ultimate?
Have you activated your system with Microsoft?
The reason for these questions is if for what ever reason your computer has lost its activation it will not get updates.

This should help us help you.

Windows Genuine and Activation Issue Posting Instructions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Feb 2013   #10

Windows 7 ultimate 32
 
 

Quote:
LB} 2. You installed Windows 7 Ultimate.
No, someone else before I got the computer.

Quote:
3. You don't have a COA key you can't read it
on the computer.
Mars gave me link to Belarc, and that app. found my license and code within.

Quote:
4. You are having concerns about problems with Windows 7 updates.
I have not done the updates because I have concerns based on the troubles others have had.


Quote:
The reason for these questions is if for what ever reason your computer has lost its activation it will not get updates.
I did not say that I lost my activation, nor did I say my computer would not get the most recent updates.


Quote:
Ive already been to that thread and stated so previously in this thread. My hopes are to avoid the need to go through those steps. Those steps were posted in regards to actually having a problem with downloads, which has not yet happen to me.

I hope that re-clarifies my thoughts and actions to date.

Rybo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Concern About Latest Updates




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Concern About Latest Updates
Thread Forum
Solved Windows 7 locks up after latest updates. Performance & Maintenance
Latest windows updates updates ... is there something going on? Windows Updates & Activation
BIOS - Incremental updates to latest vrsn or direct update to latest? Drivers
Latest 7 updates killed my AVG & internet Windows Updates & Activation
Latest updates (4/12) and SP1 Windows Updates & Activation
Problems with latest Updates (03-14-2011) Windows Updates & Activation
Free Windows 7 Upgrade Concern (VOID concern) General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33