Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Update Error Code 8008370B

21 Mar 2013   #61
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hi NLK,

I have just realised that I missed one of your questions:

Quote:
I'm curious whether you think an In-Place Upgrade is a viable solution at this juncture or should I leave well enough alone? Is SP1 and/or IE9 worth the hassle moving forward?
Yes a repair, or in-place upgrade, install is very much a viable solution here and will almost definitely fix your problem. I usually suggest it as a last resort but seeing as we haven't seen much progress with these pesky winners keys, it might be something you want to consider doing. If you do want to go ahead with the repair install, then we have a great tutorial on it:

Repair Install

Tom


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Mar 2013   #62
nolimitkemet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hi NLK,

I have just realised that I missed one of your questions:

Quote:
I'm curious whether you think an In-Place Upgrade is a viable solution at this juncture or should I leave well enough alone? Is SP1 and/or IE9 worth the hassle moving forward?
Yes a repair, or in-place upgrade, install is very much a viable solution here and will almost definitely fix your problem. I usually suggest it as a last resort but seeing as we haven't seen much progress with these pesky winners keys, it might be something you want to consider doing. If you do want to go ahead with the repair install, then we have a great tutorial on it:

Repair Install

Tom
Hello Tom,

You have invested quite a bit of effort in helping me and I'd like to utilize the in-place upgrade option since you think it's a good idea so I can get out of your hair.

I actually attempted an in-place upgrade before reaching out for help here. It was however unsuccessful because of the multitude of issues I had in the registry and elsewhere. Thanks to you, almost all of these problems have been corrected to the point where I believe it will be successful.

I'll give this a try this evening and report back the results.

You (and your cohorts) are first class guys and I again thank you so much for all of your efforts.

Best Regards,

NLK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2013   #63
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Hi NLK,

Okay, that's great. With a bit of luck it will go through this time, but you know where to find me if it doesn't.

Look forward to hearing how it goes - good luck!

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Mar 2013   #64
nolimitkemet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
Now on Windows 7 x64 SP1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hi NLK,

Okay, that's great. With a bit of luck it will go through this time, but you know where to find me if it doesn't.

Look forward to hearing how it goes - good luck!

Tom
Hello Tom,

I'm happy to report that I was able to successfully perform an In-Place Upgrade. Thereafter, I was able to install all windows updates including IE 9, and finally SP1. After installing SP1, I was able to install the remaining critical/important updates including IE10.

After the In-Place Upgrade, I had to uninstall/reinstall a few programs that were not working properly but all in all things went smoothly. Of course, none of this would be possible without the time you spent investigating and fixing the errors on my system. I once more express my heartfelt appreciation for your advice and expertise.

I also leaned a few things along the way from you that I'll get to employ down the road. Thanks for a most positive experience and a successful outcome. You're the Best.

Cheers,

NLK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #65
nolimitkemet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
SURT Identifies two new problems

Hello Tom,

I ran a SURT this morning just to see where things stood and discovered the following:

Code:
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 18.0
2013-03-23 12:14

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 760
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
Windows update is still working fine. I don't possess enough knowledge to understand how to repair this problem or even if it warrants addressing at this point. Not even sure if reporting this belongs in this thread.

Please advise.

Best Regards,

NLK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #66
tom982

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nolimitkemet View Post
Hello Tom,

I'm happy to report that I was able to successfully perform an In-Place Upgrade. Thereafter, I was able to install all windows updates including IE 9, and finally SP1. After installing SP1, I was able to install the remaining critical/important updates including IE10.

After the In-Place Upgrade, I had to uninstall/reinstall a few programs that were not working properly but all in all things went smoothly. Of course, none of this would be possible without the time you spent investigating and fixing the errors on my system. I once more express my heartfelt appreciation for your advice and expertise.

I also leaned a few things along the way from you that I'll get to employ down the road. Thanks for a most positive experience and a successful outcome. You're the Best.

Cheers,

NLK
Hi NLK,

Glad to hear it! It's been a long road but it's nice to hear it's ended with success.

You're most welcome for the help; it has been a pleasure to work with you.

I think it's safe to say that you've had more than your fair share of Windows Update problems recently so hopefully you'll have an error-less future. You know where to find me if things turn pear shaped though!

Tom

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nolimitkemet View Post
Hello Tom,

I ran a SURT this morning just to see where things stood and discovered the following:

Code:
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 18.0
2013-03-23 12:14

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 760
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
Windows update is still working fine. I don't possess enough knowledge to understand how to repair this problem or even if it warrants addressing at this point. Not even sure if reporting this belongs in this thread.

Please advise.

Best Regards,

NLK
You might be relieved if you saw my CheckSUR log:

Code:
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 18.0
2013-03-21 15:37

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 998
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
As you can see, I have an identical problem. I have spent hours on end trying to fix this but nothing I try has made any difference; I dread to think how many times I've run the SURT!

Noel and I believe this is a bug in either IE10 or the SURT and Noel is currently in contact with Microsoft regarding this issue. This seems to be a very widescale problem affecting all users with IE10 but, fortunately, I haven't witnessed it causing any problems yet. I will keep you updated about any possible solution but for now don't worry about it - it is very likely that this is being reported incorrectly.

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #67
nolimitkemet

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nolimitkemet View Post
Hello Tom,

I'm happy to report that I was able to successfully perform an In-Place Upgrade. Thereafter, I was able to install all windows updates including IE 9, and finally SP1. After installing SP1, I was able to install the remaining critical/important updates including IE10.

After the In-Place Upgrade, I had to uninstall/reinstall a few programs that were not working properly but all in all things went smoothly. Of course, none of this would be possible without the time you spent investigating and fixing the errors on my system. I once more express my heartfelt appreciation for your advice and expertise.

I also leaned a few things along the way from you that I'll get to employ down the road. Thanks for a most positive experience and a successful outcome. You're the Best.

Cheers,

NLK
Hi NLK,

Glad to hear it! It's been a long road but it's nice to hear it's ended with success.

You're most welcome for the help; it has been a pleasure to work with you.

I think it's safe to say that you've had more than your fair share of Windows Update problems recently so hopefully you'll have an error-less future. You know where to find me if things turn pear shaped though!

Tom

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nolimitkemet View Post
Hello Tom,

I ran a SURT this morning just to see where things stood and discovered the following:

Code:
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 18.0
2013-03-23 12:14

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 760
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
Windows update is still working fine. I don't possess enough knowledge to understand how to repair this problem or even if it warrants addressing at this point. Not even sure if reporting this belongs in this thread.

Please advise.

Best Regards,

NLK
You might be relieved if you saw my CheckSUR log:

Code:
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.1.7601.21645
Package Version 18.0
2013-03-21 15:37

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name
(f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x00000000    servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum        Expected file name Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~neutral~~10.2.9200.16437.mum does not match the actual file name

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 998
 Found 2 errors
  CBS MUM Corrupt Total count: 2

Unavailable repair files:
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.mum
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Hyphenation-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
    servicing\packages\Microsoft-Windows-IE-Spelling-Parent-Package-English~31bf3856ad364e35~~~10.2.9200.16437.cat
As you can see, I have an identical problem. I have spent hours on end trying to fix this but nothing I try has made any difference; I dread to think how many times I've run the SURT!

Noel and I believe this is a bug in either IE10 or the SURT and Noel is currently in contact with Microsoft regarding this issue. This seems to be a very widescale problem affecting all users with IE10 but, fortunately, I haven't witnessed it causing any problems yet. I will keep you updated about any possible solution but for now don't worry about it - it is very likely that this is being reported incorrectly.

Tom
Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Definitely a relief to know the situation does not seem to cause any harm. I'll look forward to to hearing from you if a resolution is reached at some point in the future with an IE 10 or SURT update. All the best to you.

Cheers,

NLK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Update Error Code 8008370B




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update fails in Update Check. Error code C80003FA.
Hello, I recieve error C80003FA whenever I do a Windows Update run. It doesn't get past the stage of checking for updates. I've tried several fixes including: - Waiting 15 minutes and running Windows Update again. - Letting Windows Update run on its own schedule. - SFC /Scannow -...
Windows Updates & Activation
windows update error (code 9c48 and code 9c57)
i having problem with this windows update here is zip for CBS thanks!!!
Windows Updates & Activation
Update for Windows Update Error Code 800700B7
Been using Google and such for a couple months messing with it but cant get update to work. My girlfriend updated from Vista a while ago and I cant crack this! I have done all the differect things I could find from Microsoft to no avail. The fixit program finds something and says its fixed but...
Windows Updates & Activation
windows update error code
hi i have got a windows 7 32 bit pc that had a virus on a few months ago managed to get rid of the virus but now i am getting error codes 800b0100 the updates are security updates i have check the log that i have uploaded here and there are 30 corrupt files on my system and i have no idea how to...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows update error CODE 52F
any way to fix this without reinstalling windows 7
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update: Error Code 800B0100
Hello, I have been unable to download/install any updates for Windows 7 (gives Error Code 800B0100) via Windows update and had to install them through the web manually. I have installed the System Update Readiness Tool but it does not seem to solve the problem. Currently, I have KB982670, KB982664,...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App