Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I have an MSDN windows 7 key on my computer, how long will it last?


05 May 2013   #11

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
The eBay link you provided shows a dell OEM windows 7 . Not what you looking for

Code:
OEM Windows 7 Professional 32bit with CoA License Product Key
Item Description:
This item is an Original DELL Branded OEM Microsoft operating system installation DVD disc containing the full 32bit version of Windows 7 Professional including service pack 1 (SP1). (This is NOT an upgrade version)
The software is new and has never been installed on any computer.
The software is supplied with a genuine and unregistered product key.
The software will install on any PC desktop or laptop/notebook computer which is capable of installing and running 32bit Windows 7. (Please check your system is capable of running 32bit version)
Will install on self/custom built and other non-branded machines.
Will install on new machines or machines that have a new hard drive and/or no operating system.
Boot from CD and follow on screen instructions
Once installed and activated you will be able to receive full updates and support for your operating system
The item comes in sealed sleeve with the CoA sticker attached to front as per the second image in the gallery. Retail packaging is NOT included.
Could you please tell me what I am looking for? It's a Dell computer I have and I want a full version of Windows 7 Pro so I can do clean install if needed. Also a key would do but I am wary of that option as they have to open it up to give you the key. I don't need the disc as I have already been caught out on Amazon with this but I got my money back. Basically where is the cheapest safest place to buy this and other Windows products.
Thank you for your patience and guidence in this matter

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 May 2013   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

Please post your MGADiag report - and look in the battery compartment and see if you have a COA sticker of any kind in there.

Please follow this tutorial and post an MGADiag report - then we can see what the problem is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234159-windows-genuine-activation-issue-posting-instructions.html

Ignore errors produced when clicking on the Copy button - they simply mean that the tool could not create the backup files for some reason. The data is still copied to the clipboard for pasting to your response.

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #13

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Please post your MGADiag report - and look in the battery compartment and see if you have a COA sticker of any kind in there.

Please follow this tutorial and post an MGADiag report - then we can see what the problem is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/234159-windows-genuine-activation-issue-posting-instructions.html

Ignore errors produced when clicking on the Copy button - they simply mean that the tool could not create the backup files for some reason. The data is still copied to the clipboard for pasting to your response.

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx
It's a Dell Inspiron 1545 I am just going to stick with my msdn Licence as you said it lasts for life mate thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 May 2013   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

It will only last until the vendor trips the abuse tag at the MS servers - then at next validation all the machines it is installed on will be flagged as non-genuine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #15

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
It will only last until the vendor trips the abuse tag at the MS servers - then at next validation all the machines it is installed on will be flagged as non-genuine.
Ok so I need a new key/disc. As I understand it I have to stay away from OEM versions correct? So I am looking for a full version 32 bit correct? That guy at Amazon is telling me the key will be accepted and I can call Microsoft to verify it is a genuine key, he is very convincing but sounds to good to be true and is OEM so I can't buy it correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

All legit Retail copies come with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks.
All OEM copies only come with one disk - either 64-bit or 32-bit - but the Key will activate both 64-bit and 32-bit installs (but only one at a time!).

Technically, there is nothing to stop you buying and using an OEM Key - it's a case of ethics and law. The OEM license terms specify that the OS must installed on the machine in a particular way - for a third party to use.
If you're prepared to ignore that, then theoretically, MS could revoke the license and block the Key for that alone. So far as I am aware, they have never done so for a self-builder.

To my mind the biggest thing against OEM licenses is the fact that they cannot be transferred to new machines, and the motherboard cannot be upgraded.

NOTE:
As far as I know, Dell do not ship machines without a license of some kind - so what is your machine licensed for?
If it's for Windows7 Pro, then no problem - simply swap the COA Key in.
If it's for any other edition of Windows 7, life gets a little more complicated- but you could use an Amytime Upgrade Key

If it's for an earlier edition of Windows, then you could use a full retail Upgrade Key (and a bit of hassle).

If it's for Windows 8 Pro, then simply talk to Dell and see if they will provide a Windows 7 Recovery set for your machine.


DO NOT buy anything on eBay!! The instance you pointed to is COUNTERFEIT.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #17

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
All legit Retail copies come with both 32-bit and 64-bit disks.
All OEM copies only come with one disk - either 64-bit or 32-bit - but the Key will activate both 64-bit and 32-bit installs (but only one at a time!).

Technically, there is nothing to stop you buying and using an OEM Key - it's a case of ethics and law. The OEM license terms specify that the OS must installed on the machine in a particular way - for a third party to use.
If you're prepared to ignore that, then theoretically, MS could revoke the license and block the Key for that alone. So far as I am aware, they have never done so for a self-builder.

To my mind the biggest thing against OEM licenses is the fact that they cannot be transferred to new machines, and the motherboard cannot be upgraded.

NOTE:
As far as I know, Dell do not ship machines without a license of some kind - so what is your machine licensed for?
If it's for Windows7 Pro, then no problem - simply swap the COA Key in.
If it's for any other edition of Windows 7, life gets a little more complicated- but you could use an Amytime Upgrade Key

If it's for an earlier edition of Windows, then you could use a full retail Upgrade Key (and a bit of hassle).

If it's for Windows 8 Pro, then simply talk to Dell and see if they will provide a Windows 7 Recovery set for your machine.


DO NOT buy anything on eBay!! The instance you pointed to is COUNTERFEIT.
Ok thanks mate my Dell came with Vista which I do not like at all but I love windows 7 Professional. I have had this installed since 2011 and as far as I am aware I am the only one with the licence. You seem to have had yours for a while why do you think I will lose mine shortly? Or is it just a guessing game?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

My MSDN I acquired because I was a subscriber to MSDN (through being an MS-MVP for 5 years).

If you simply purchased the Windows 7 key, then you were sold one of dozens that the vendor sold - eventually it WILL hit the trigger-point as more people reinstall, or he cashes in on whatever remaining sales he can make.
Once that happens, the Key will be blocked - and validation will fail on all machines with that Key installed, and activation will fail on any new installs done with that Key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #19

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
My MSDN I acquired because I was a subscriber to MSDN (through being an MS-MVP for 5 years).

If you simply purchased the Windows 7 key, then you were sold one of dozens that the vendor sold - eventually it WILL hit the trigger-point as more people reinstall, or he cashes in on whatever remaining sales he can make.
Once that happens, the Key will be blocked - and validation will fail on all machines with that Key installed, and activation will fail on any new installs done with that Key.
Thanks again for that mate what abouth this one or am I breaking any rules here Windows :: Windows 7 - will I be ok if I buy that one thanks again I was ready just to buy off that guy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2013   #20

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

The giveaway here is the fact that they claim it's a digital download.
The ONLY three businesses authorised to sell Windows by digital download are Microsoft, Dell, and HP.
Anyone else is selling counterfeits.
This particular site changed hands in April this year 365professionals.com Whois - 365 professionals - Who.is and is untested, and likely to disappear sooner rather than later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I have an MSDN windows 7 key on my computer, how long will it last?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: I have an MSDN windows 7 key on my computer, how long will it last?
Thread Forum
Solved Long USB run from computer to TV Gaming
BSOD after computer has been on for so long BSOD Help and Support
Solved How long doe's windows 7 MSDN license last? Windows Updates & Activation
How long can you go without your computer? Chillout Room
checked build of Windows 7 on MSDN General Discussion
Windows 7 RTM Available to all MSDN Subscribers News
Time of Day for Windows 7 on MSDN General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33