Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Update error code 80073712

28 May 2013   #1
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 
Update error code 80073712

Hello!

Sorry if its inappropriate for the forum but it seems that it should be. I'm experiencing the problem with Windows Server 2008 R2. The error code for update is 80073712 and my checkSUR logs are attached.

It seems that the problem is exactly the case described at the end of the following thread
Error 0x800b0100 when installing KB2727528 and/or KB2761217

I guess a package for IE10 hyphenation and spelling is required. Where can I find it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 May 2013   #2
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Try this SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
If any integrity errors... post sfcdetails.txt as described in option three
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 May 2013   #4
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 
Ooops! Not a good news

Since my system tend to fail in launching during restart with BSOD 0x7b and I haven't found any hardware fault I thought that it should be an update error.

Each time I restore the system from a backup it works perfectly then after tons of updates being installed suddenly Server Roles and Features becomes inaccessible with the error and Task Scheduler stops showing the list of existing tasks. When in this state I know that next reboot will end up with BSOD 0x7b just after the starting progress bar blinks for a moment.

I found that there is a known issue with Win 2008 Server update database that becomes corrupted sometimes and needs to be recovered with the help of SUR.

I've scanned the system with sfc /scannow and got "no integrity violations" message. Attached is the full log folder if it can be helpful.
What else can I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #5
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 
SFC details

SFC details prepared due to option 3 is attached
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #6
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 
Windows Activation

Just now, when I looked at the Server Roles there was an "error" instead of the list of roles and all of a sudden error message has appeared (screenshot attached):

[Window Title]
Windows Activation

[Main Instruction]
An unauthorized change was made to Windows.

[Content]
Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality. Use the link below to find out how to fix Windows.

[Learn more online] [Close]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #7
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
Since my system tend to fail in launching during restart with BSOD 0x7b and I haven't found any hardware fault I thought that it should be an update error.

Each time I restore the system from a backup it works perfectly then after tons of updates being installed suddenly Server Roles and Features becomes inaccessible with the error and Task Scheduler stops showing the list of existing tasks. When in this state I know that next reboot will end up with BSOD 0x7b just after the starting progress bar blinks for a moment.

I found that there is a known issue with Win 2008 Server update database that becomes corrupted sometimes and needs to be recovered with the help of SUR.

I've scanned the system with sfc /scannow and got "no integrity violations" message. Attached is the full log folder if it can be helpful.
What else can I do?
SUR and SFC/SCANNOW results are fine. This is what I found:
NonStart: Failed to get store. [HRESULT = 0x80073712 - ERROR_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT] in cbs.log

Are you in some sysprep/generalize step (saw some things of it in log files)?

Quote:
I know that next reboot will end up with BSOD 0x7b just after the starting progress bar blinks for a moment.
the normal starting progress bar, or from (automatic) ssytem recovery?
Can't you boot now whatsoever?
Can you perform a "system restore" to revert the changes? System Restore option two
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
Just now, when I looked at the Server Roles there was an "error" instead of the list of roles and all of a sudden error message has appeared (screenshot attached):

[Window Title]
Windows Activation

[Main Instruction]
An unauthorized change was made to Windows.

[Content]
Windows has discovered a change that will result in limited Windows functionality. Use the link below to find out how to fix Windows.

[Learn more online] [Close]
It looks your windows is not genuine anymore(?) Is it still activated? check system properties
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #9
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 

Quote:
Are you in some sysprep/generalize step (saw some things of it in log files)?
Not explicitly. It seems that system was not able to finish some of the updates procedures.

Quote:
the normal starting progress bar, or from (automatic) ssytem recovery?
Yes the normal one.

I'm going to reboot now but pretty sure it will show BSOD 0x7b. If so I'll try option 2 to restore the system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 May 2013   #10
Eclectic

Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 SP1
 
 

Quote:
It looks your windows is not genuine anymore(?) Is it still activated? check system properties
No, it's not.
Should I activate it before reboot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Update error code 80073712




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Window 7 Update Error - Code 800B0100 and 80073712
Hi, for around about one month, I have some problems using the Windows Update. I always get the error massages 800B0100, 80073712 and sometimes one or two more - fortunately (or unfortunately) not this time. I already did the steps from the windows update posting instruction threat. The SURT...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Error Code 80073712
Hello to all. This is my first thread here in SevenForums. I have three updates that aren't installing. All of them report to as error code 80073712 PS don't suggest anything like repair install or a reinstall of Windows. This PC doesn't belong to me. System Restore is turned off and no...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update Error Code 80073712-Cumulative Security Update IE11, Win 7(64)
I'm having no luck installing KB2977629 (Cumulative Security Update IE11). I repeatedly get the error 8007371B. SURT installs with no errors. SFC /SCANNOW runs with no errors. I am uploading the requested screenshots and ZIP file. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!! ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update Error Code 80073712
Hi, I've had this update error going on for a few months. Eventually I ended up hiding the update, but whenever new updates are available it re-includes itself. When that happens, it ends up making the new updates fail and I have to delete my catroot directory in order for the updates to work. ...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update Error Code 80073712
I have a Dell laptop running Win 7 Pro SP1 with MS updates current thru 5/31/2013. When I run Update I get an Error Code 80073712. Checking on this code, it seems to be related to a corrupt Registry (most likely in my case), so a Repair Install seems to be indicated. Everything else is working...
Windows Updates & Activation
Update error code 80073712
Hey guys I am trying to download/update the 'windows 7 service pack 1 for X64 -based Systems (KB976932) and I can't download it. What do i do? Thanks
Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App