Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I buy a Windows 7 Activation Code


28 Sep 2013   #1
T1M

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
Can I buy a Windows 7 Activation Code

I purchase an older computer from work that had a clean hard drive and came with the operating system disk. The disk was misplaced, so I used the disk from a different Dell computer that I own. The problem is that the computer originally came with Vista and what I installed was Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64-Bit. The computer runs great, but obviously I don't have an activation code for the new installation. The computer is descent, Intel Duo 2.66, 4gb RAM, and a NVIDIA Quaddro FX570 video card. Plenty good to for my son to play around on, so would like to keep it running.

Can I purchase an Activation Code to make the current installation legit?

It seems like it should be straight forward to do this at a reasonable cost, but I am not finding it this to be the case. I do have the Vista activation code on the machine that I am currently working on and I still have the machine with the activation code for the Windows 7, but this machine still running.

Would it be possible to upgrade my better computer to Windows 8 and then use it's old activation code on the machine that I am working on?.....probably a dumb idea, but thought I would ask anyway.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Sep 2013   #2
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

This should help you. Shop Windows 7 | Microsoft Store
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Sep 2013   #3

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Your post is somewhat confusing to me but I will try.

Quote:
Would it be possible to upgrade my better computer to Windows 8 and then use it's old activation code on the machine that I am working on?.....probably a dumb idea, but thought I would ask anyway.
To my understanding it you used the Windows 7 COA code to upgrade to Windows 8 that Windows 7 code is no longer available for use. You will have to activate and use the Windows 8 COA code.

It is kind of like trading a old car in for a new car. Once you trade in the old car you can no longer use it but you can license the new car and enjoy it.

If your Windows 7 COA code was installed by the manufacture of the computer (Dell,Aser, ect.) It can not be use on another computer.

If you want to buy a legal COA for you system Britton 30 has posted a site that you will be able to do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Oct 2013   #4

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by T1M View Post
I purchase an older computer from work that had a clean hard drive and came with the operating system disk. The disk was misplaced, so I used the disk from a different Dell computer that I own. The problem is that the computer originally came with Vista and what I installed was Windows 7 Home Edition Premium 64-Bit. The computer runs great, but obviously I don't have an activation code for the new installation. The computer is descent, Intel Duo 2.66, 4gb RAM, and a NVIDIA Quaddro FX570 video card. Plenty good to for my son to play around on, so would like to keep it running.

Can I purchase an Activation Code to make the current installation legit?

It seems like it should be straight forward to do this at a reasonable cost, but I am not finding it this to be the case. I do have the Vista activation code on the machine that I am currently working on and I still have the machine with the activation code for the Windows 7, but this machine still running.

Would it be possible to upgrade my better computer to Windows 8 and then use it's old activation code on the machine that I am working on?.....probably a dumb idea, but thought I would ask anyway.
Hi T1M,

I checked on the Microsoft store as well. It states all version of MS Windows 7 is out of stock. It would be better if you have a chat with their tech and check if they are still providing product key for the same:

Chat with MS Tech

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2013   #5

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
This should help you. Shop Windows 7 | Microsoft Store
Hi Britton30,

Any reasons why would all version of Windows 7 would be out of stock on their website. It sound quite strange to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2013   #6

Win7 Pro 32bit
 
 

Those Microsoft prices are obscenely and laughably high. I'd be searching on a site like Newegg. I'd rather start from scratch than pay M$'s MSRP.

I'll hazard a cynical guess as to why M$ is "out of stock" of Win 7... they would much rather try to sell people Windows 8 and 8.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #7
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SandeepP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
This should help you. Shop Windows 7 | Microsoft Store
Hi Britton30,

Any reasons why would all version of Windows 7 would be out of stock on their website. It sound quite strange to me.
I agree with Oven Master, M$ is artificially driving people towards Win 8. I directed the OP to M$ because they used to sell keys only without a disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

<pedant mode>
Not quite true - MS sold Downloadable software accompanied by an email with a Key - if you chose not to download, that was your choice.
</pedant mode>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium x86 Service Pack 1 - Linux Mint Mate 14 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Those Microsoft prices are obscenely and laughably high. I'd be searching on a site like Newegg. I'd rather start from scratch than pay M$'s MSRP.

I'll hazard a cynical guess as to why M$ is "out of stock" of Win 7... they would much rather try to sell people Windows 8 and 8.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Oct 2013   #10

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SandeepP View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
This should help you. Shop Windows 7 | Microsoft Store
Hi Britton30,

Any reasons why would all version of Windows 7 would be out of stock on their website. It sound quite strange to me.
I agree with Oven Master, M$ is artificially driving people towards Win 8. I directed the OP to M$ because they used to sell keys only without a disk.
Hi Britton30,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully, OP contacts MS and let us know the clear picture if they have officially stopped selling Windows 7 and the product keys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I buy a Windows 7 Activation Code




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Can I buy a Windows 7 Activation Code
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Activation Code not the same as Product ID Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Activation Code Blocked Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 denying my activation code Installation & Setup
I have a Windows 7 activation code, what do I do now? General Discussion
Windows 7 Activation Key Code Don't Work Anymore Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 7600 activation code Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33