Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Have 4 versions of .NET framework - can I delete?


28 Jan 2014   #1

7 Pro 64
 
 
Have 4 versions of .NET framework - can I delete?

I am getting four listings for .NET framework in services.msc - but only one under Programs and Features.

Can I get rid of the unneeded ones? My computer is extremely slow and I'm trying to clean out all the junk (yes, I am going through this list!)

services.msc shows:
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86
Programs and Features shows:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, version 4.0.30319
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended, version 4.0.30319
Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2014   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64bit, Windows 7 HP 64bit
 
 

They were probably installed by a program that needs them. They don't do anything until a program needs them so should have no effect on your system.

Jim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #3

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Leave all .NET Frameworks in place. The versioning is strange, but they're all there for a reason. You would think that .NET Y would be backward compatible to .NET X - that's what I thought too.

I started ripping previous version off my Vista system - what a mess I made! A reinstall and hands off .NET approach solved the user issue.

Installing .NET 4.0 removed .NET 1.0 at least - .NET is an interesting beast, it's has strong ties to the OS.

My experience says it's better to leave .NET alone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Jan 2014   #4

7 Pro 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
The versioning is strange, but they're all there for a reason.
What reason? What is .NET even for in the first place? How do I know if anything on my computer needs it? Can't I just uninstall them and then if a program stops working, install it again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #5

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

That's a tall order catalogue. Too much to go over in this format. You'll have to read up on all the .NET Framework.

Just uninstall .NET? Reinstall later?
- that's how I messed up my Vista machine. But if you're determined to do that...

Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?q=.net...-us:IE-Address

Wiki is quicki: .NET Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

The .NET files are support files needed for many applications to run. In theory the version 4 files should replace all previous versions but it doesn't always work that way in the real world. Many applications are designed for a specific version and will work with no other.

Determining what applications need .NET and what version is difficult. Unless you are desperately short on disk space the amount saved by deleting them will be of little consequence.

Most members of this forum leave all .NET runtimes alone because the determination of which ones are needed is more trouble than it is worth. I have better things to do with my available time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

There's 4 of them because of 32bit and 64bit versions. Leave them on your computer and set the service to manual. If u have any problems with programs just SRT it back to auto delayed start.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #8

7 Pro 64
 
 

Thanks LMiller and N00ber - those are helpful answers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2014   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)
 
 

My earlier response seems to have got lost in the post

.NET 3.5 shipped with Windows 7 and CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT be uninstalled - it's part of the OS.
For a variety of reasons the versioning in .NET is a little strange - and each later version subsumes earlier ones, rather than replacing them - with the result that you'll see .NET 2 references in .NET 3.5

I see that you still have .NET 4.0 installed - you should upgrade to .NET 4.5, which is more stable (and will actually replace .NET 4.0) and more easily maintained. It should be available in Windows Update as an optional update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2014   #10

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by catalogue View Post
I am getting four listings for .NET framework in services.msc - but only one under Programs and Features.

Can I get rid of the unneeded ones? My computer is extremely slow and I'm trying to clean out all the junk (yes, I am going through this list!)

services.msc shows:
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X64
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X64
Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86

Programs and Features shows:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, version 4.0.30319
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended, version 4.0.30319
Thanks
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
My earlier response seems to have got lost in the post

.NET 3.5 shipped with Windows 7 and CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT be uninstalled - it's part of the OS.
For a variety of reasons the versioning in .NET is a little strange - and each later version subsumes earlier ones, rather than replacing them - with the result that you'll see .NET 2 references in .NET 3.5

I see that you still have .NET 4.0 installed - you should upgrade to .NET 4.5, which is more stable (and will actually replace .NET 4.0) and more easily maintained. It should be available in Windows Update as an optional update.
I concur - move to 4.5. (4.5.1). Installing 4.5.1 will automatically uninstall 4.0 and lots of updates the went along with 4.0. This is why the install for 4.5.1 can take some time. You can also download/install from here: Download Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 (Offline Installer) for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 SP2 Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 from Official Microsoft Download Center

As the title of that website mentions, you need to have Service Pack 1 installed for Windows 7 before installing .NET 4.5.1. Your system specs does not mention what service pack you are using.

After installing 4.5.1, the info listed in Programs and Features should change - however, the name of the service does not change:
Have 4 versions of .NET framework - can I delete?-net4.5.1.png


...just answering questions that no one asked :-)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Have 4 versions of .NET framework - can I delete?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Have 4 versions of .NET framework - can I delete?
Thread Forum
Solved Unable to delete a file,can't delete it can't shred it, General Discussion
. NET Framework 4 updates made before Framework 4 was installed upda Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Previous Versions not working-There are no previous versions available Performance & Maintenance
Solved May I delete these .NET framework files? Performance & Maintenance
.net framework 4 issue causing XNA framework 4 issues Windows Updates & Activation

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33