|17 Feb 2014||#1|
Windows Update service unable to start, Error 0x8007277a
I am having problems with my computer. I cannot seem to update anything. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I first noticed that Adobe, Java, and Microsoft Security Essentials would no longer update. I have not tried to use Microsoft Update, but I am certain that would fail as well, which is why I have not even bothered. Every time I tried to update one of those programs, I would get an error saying that the server was unavailable and to please check my internet connection, or it could not update due to an internet or network connectivity issue. However, Malwarebytes Anti malware will update the definitions just fine, for some reason. Microsoft Security Essentials shows the most recent definitions as Jan 4, 2014, so it would seem the problem happened around that time. Running a manual update of MSE definitions gives me an error of 0x80080005. Well, the browser was showing web pages just fine, so after some googling and searching around, I realized that the "Windows Update" service and the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" were not running. Attempting to restart the computer and manually "start" either of these services would bring up an error message. Trying to manually start Windows Update service gives the error 0x8007277a. I tried to use Microsoft's "Fix-It" solution which also immediately gave me an error saying that the computer failed to connect to all of the servers required to run it, thus it failed. If anyone could help me, or has had a similar situation that they solved, I would be very grateful. This one has me stumped. Thank you.
ETA - Checking through the error log in System, I keep seeing errors over and over that show the Windows Update service and BITS service terminating with the following error - 2147014790
Also many more times than that are errors saying that "The IPsec Policy Agent service terminated with the following error: The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized."
Checking through the error log in Adminstrative Services around that time, I see hundreds of instances of one error over and over sometimes only seconds apart. not sure if it has anything to do with it, but here it is. It says the source is Side by Side
under the general tab:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_cbf21254470d8752\MFC8 0U.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",ver sion="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
and under the details tab:
|My System Specs|
|17 Feb 2014||#2|
Hi, Welcome to forums.
This could be an issue with third party winsock. You can reset winsock. Here's how you can do it.
1.Click the Windows Start button.
2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter (keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator). Click Continue to allow elevation request.
3. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
4. Type netsh int ipv4 reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. If you use ipv6, type netsh int ipv6 reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
Note: you may need to run Network Diagnostics afterwards to "repair" your connection after this.
|My System Specs|
|19 Feb 2014||#6|
Hi, I also had the problem of WU not starting, I tried many supposed fixes all without result, I kept receiving referrals to Registry cleaners that claimed to fix the problem (but only if I purchased a license). Finally after three days of no success I found in Microsoft Community a thread with information to <<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/>> (free) which I then researched and decided to give it a go, after I ran it my system finally returned to running WU's and all is now good.
I am always suspicious of download programs and do online research of any before I decide. Some advice I received gave links to "Microsoft Partner" sites which when I looked into them required the purchase of a license to run their "fix all", I also found that "support" sites wanted a fee to assist me. I can only comment on what did finally work for me and I don't suggest that it will work for everyone, only the person seeking help can decide on what they will try. My thanks to all here who provided assistance to my query, as yet again I've found that the collective wisdom of people who have a real interest in "the issue" can help.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows Update service unable to start, Error 0x8007277a|
|Windows 7 Service Pack 1 unable to update||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Windows Update error; cannot start BITS service||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Unable to update Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Unable to update to Service Pack 1 - Windows 7 Home Pre x64||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Update error 80246008 with BITS unable to start||Windows Updates & Activation|
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.