Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows cannot update

20 Apr 2014   #61
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

maybe.... follow the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions and just post the resulting file here.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Apr 2014   #62
Rookie27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
maybe.... follow the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions and just post the resulting file here.
Sorry for putting you through this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #63
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Hey, this is fun!

OK - a quick look shows that you have been having major problems with WinPatrol - please uninstall it completely.
Please also disable real-time monitoring by SpyBot.
You have Ashampoo installed - this has been known to cause problems in the past. Please ensure that you have the latest updates for it installed.

I've never used SpeedFan - I was under the impression that all it did with HD's was query the SMART information for the temperatures?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Apr 2014   #64
Rookie27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
Hey, this is fun!

OK - a quick look shows that you have been having major problems with WinPatrol - please uninstall it completely.
Please also disable real-time monitoring by SpyBot.
You have Ashampoo installed - this has been known to cause problems in the past. Please ensure that you have the latest updates for it installed.

I've never used SpeedFan - I was under the impression that all it did with HD's was query the SMART information for the temperatures?
You mean, stop using WinPatrol and the SpyBot real-time monitoring completely?

I'll uninstall Ashampoo. Do you know any good alternative free burning software?

I don't know man.. just got worried when I saw the online analysis of that drive. What software would you recommend to diagnose a drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #65
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

I mean uninstall Winpatrol completely - It's been crashing on a regular basis anyhow.
SpyBot should be set so that it doesn't load on startup - it's known to sometimes cause problems with WU and other installs. (specifically, if you have Teatimer installed/running, it can prevent update installations!)


You have a Western Digital drive installed - the best thing to use is WD's own diagnostic tool...
WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

Ashampoo may be fine nowadays - I'm more concerned if it's an up-to-date version you have, or not.

Depending on what you want to burn, Windows has its own tools, which may well be sufficient.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #66
Rookie27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I mean uninstall Winpatrol completely - It's been crashing on a regular basis anyhow.
SpyBot should be set so that it doesn't load on startup - it's known to sometimes cause problems with WU and other installs. (specifically, if you have Teatimer installed/running, it can prevent update installations!)


You have a Western Digital drive installed - the best thing to use is WD's own diagnostic tool...
WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor

Ashampoo may be fine nowadays - I'm more concerned if it's an up-to-date version you have, or not.

Depending on what you want to burn, Windows has its own tools, which may well be sufficient.
Ok, uninstalled WinPatrol and Ashampoo. Still can't uninstall Office 2007

Urm no, I'm trying to diagnose an external disk from Buffalo. Can't find any tools from them.

Not sure which Spybot settings to change. Do you mean deactivate all of these 3?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #67
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

I take it that you have the Home edition of Spybot, rather than the Free one?
If that's the case, then it will be conflicting with your Avast install, and you must disable one or the other.
I'd be inclined to disable all three settings in the options above.

Ah - your external Buffalo... which model is it? Mine (a QVL) uses a different filesystem to Windows - I'd have to extract the disk and run it as a slave booting to the manufacturer's test utility, to test it properly.
I've not checked to see if it has any inbuilt diagnostics that look as if they could do a similar job.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #68
Rookie27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I take it that you have the Home edition of Spybot, rather than the Free one?
If that's the case, then it will be conflicting with your Avast install, and you must disable one or the other.
I'd be inclined to disable all three settings in the options above.

Ah - your external Buffalo... which model is it? Mine (a QVL) uses a different filesystem to Windows - I'd have to extract the disk and run it as a slave booting to the manufacturer's test utility, to test it properly.
I've not checked to see if it has any inbuilt diagnostics that look as if they could do a similar job.
No, I'm using the free version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Apr 2014   #69
Rookie27

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

The model is a HD-PXT500U2. CrystalDiskInfo says it's health is good. So.. 3 out of 4 tests say it's ok, so I shouldn't be too worried, right?

I've disabled all Spybot startups and deactivated those 3 features. What should I do next?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Apr 2014   #70
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Please attempt to install only the oldest update found after a fresh Check for Updates.
What happens? what error message do you get? (If any)
post new CBS.log and a new C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log file
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows cannot update




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 - Update KB976932 and KB982526 update failure- error 800b100
Hey, I'm trying to install update KB976932 (Windows Service pack 1 for 64bit) and KB982526 (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1) but I keep getting error 800b100 which stops me from doing so. I've tried deactivating my firewall; manually installing from the microsoft website; and using the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 SP1 update failed, causing Windows Update errors
Hi, Running IE 9 and tried to update to IE 11. Said I needed to update my Windows 7, 64 to SP1. found the update and attempted to install. Install failed and message said "restart your computer and try again" tried again and it failed again. Now Windows Update cannot update the PC, error message...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update Update KB2887535 code 800F0900 corrupt files ?
Hello, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with Windows Updates set to download but no install yet, since many tools start at startup. However our friends decided to install Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 without asking. This caused a full hang of the system, including frozen mousepointer....
Windows Updates & Activation
Help with Windows Update Error: Windows Update Services not running.
Hello, can someone please help me with my problems about Windows Update I have tried to run Windows Update on my computer and received the following error message: I have also tried Farbar Service Scanner and i got this file Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Windows Updates & Activation
Unable to install Windows Update: Update Kernel-mode driver framework
I am unable to update the Kernel-mode driver framework ver 1.11 for windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2685811). I get error: 80073712 Also, I am getting BSOD/stop errors in normal mode that say anything from: -memory_management 0x0000000001a, - "A device driver attempting to corrupt the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows Update problems(Windows Update cannot crrently check for...)
Windows Update cannot crrently check for updates, becouse the service is not running.You may need to restart your computer. That the problem i have with my windows udate in services.msc i dont have Windows Update folder file or whatever, when i bought my computer i remeber that i asked not to...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App