Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I can't change my update setting

12 Aug 2014   #11
snurjawi

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
OK - Please open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following commands

Code:
 
REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate  /S >> "%userprofile%\desktop\WUSETTINGS.TXT" 
REG QUERY HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer  /S >> "%userprofile%\desktop\WUSETTINGS.TXT" 
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication" /S >> "%userprofile%\desktop\WUSETTINGS.TXT" 
REG QUERY HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate  /S >> "%userprofile%\desktop\WUSETTINGS.TXT" 
REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU  /S >> "%userprofile%\desktop\WUSETTINGS.TXT" 
 
.
This will create a file on your desktop - WUSETTINGS.TXT - please upload the file to your reply.


Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the ECP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
Here's the WUSETTINGS. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1 NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer NoInternetOpenWith REG_DWORD 0x1 NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0xdd NoCDBurning REG_DWORD 0x1 NoWindowsUpdate REG_DWORD 0x1 ClearRecentDocsOnExit REG_DWORD 0x0 NoRecentDocsHistory REG_DWORD 0x0 NoInstrumentation REG_DWORD 0x0 NoLowDiskSpaceChecks REG_DWORD 0x1 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1 NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2014   #12
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

After cleaning up the formatting - this is what that chunk looks like...
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1
NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoInternetOpenWith REG_DWORD 0x1
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0xdd
NoCDBurning REG_DWORD 0x1
NoWindowsUpdate REG_DWORD 0x1
ClearRecentDocsOnExit REG_DWORD 0x0
NoRecentDocsHistory REG_DWORD 0x0
NoInstrumentation REG_DWORD 0x0
NoLowDiskSpaceChecks REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate
DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1
NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0
You have a lot of entries there - all of which are totally unnecessary, and none of which normally exist in a Home Premium system

Please open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following commands (They may or may not work, depending on the registry permissions)


REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Once the commands have run, close the window and reboot - then try Windows Update again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2014   #13
snurjawi

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
After cleaning up the formatting - this is what that chunk looks like...
Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1
NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoInternetOpenWith REG_DWORD 0x1
NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0xdd
NoCDBurning REG_DWORD 0x1
NoWindowsUpdate REG_DWORD 0x1
ClearRecentDocsOnExit REG_DWORD 0x0
NoRecentDocsHistory REG_DWORD 0x0
NoInstrumentation REG_DWORD 0x0
NoLowDiskSpaceChecks REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate
DisableWindowsUpdateAccess REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers REG_DWORD 0x1
NoAutoUpdate REG_DWORD 0x0
You have a lot of entries there - all of which are totally unnecessary, and none of which normally exist in a Home Premium system

Please open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following commands (They may or may not work, depending on the registry permissions)


REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
REG DELETE HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
REG DELETE HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Once the commands have run, close the window and reboot - then try Windows Update again.
There's is command to say yes/no I write 'Yes' Then the answer is : 'ERROR: Access denied' Should i reboot the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Aug 2014   #14
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

No point - if Access is denied then nothing has happened.

Let's see if we can do this another way.



Please download SFCFix from here... http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe and save it to your desktop

I've uploaded a file - sjiaa.zip - to my OneDrive at Noel's OneDrive
Please download and save it to your desktop.
Right-click on the downloaded file, and select Extract all…
Extract the contained file to your desktop - which will create a SFCFix.txt file there.

Now drag the SFCFix.txt file over onto the SFCFix.exe file - this should force SFCFix to run the file
It will create a new SFCFix log file on the - please upload that, then reboot and try Windows update again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2014   #15
snurjawi

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
No point - if Access is denied then nothing has happened.

Let's see if we can do this another way.



Please download SFCFix from here... http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe and save it to your desktop

I've uploaded a file - sjiaa.zip - to my OneDrive at Noel's OneDrive
Please download and save it to your desktop.
Right-click on the downloaded file, and select Extract all…
Extract the contained file to your desktop - which will create a SFCFix.txt file there.

Now drag the SFCFix.txt file over onto the SFCFix.exe file - this should force SFCFix to run the file
It will create a new SFCFix log file on the - please upload that, then reboot and try Windows update again.
it says, i have to seek advice to my helper (that means you) with give you this log : SFCFix version 2.3.0.0 by niemiro. Start time: 2014-08-13 02:53:03.317 Not using a script file. AutoAnalysis:: SUMMARY: Some corruptions could not be fixed automatically. Seek advice from helper or sysnative.com. CBS & SFC total detected corruption count: 1 CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count: 0 CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count: 0 SURT total detected corruption count: 0 SURT total unimportant corruption count: 0 SURT total fixed corruption count: 0 AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully. Successfully processed all directives. SFCFix version 2.3.0.0 by niemiro has completed. Currently storing 0 datablocks. Finish time: 2014-08-13 03:05:52.416 Script hash: ----------------------EOF-----------------------
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2014   #16
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

That looks as if you just ran the SFCFix executable, rather than dropped the SFCFix.txt file onto it - please try again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2014   #17
snurjawi

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
That looks as if you just ran the SFCFix executable, rather than dropped the SFCFix.txt file onto it - please try again.
sorry then. it says : no new update is available at this time. Detected logfile supplied as script. Script blocked. Press any key to exit . . . sorry i can't attach the screen capture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2014   #18
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

OK, thanks.

I'll have to take advice on this one!
Please follow these instructions carefully (errors made in here can be fatal - and there's no easy way back)...

Create a new System Restore Point

Open Regedit
In the left pane, navigate to the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Key, and right-click on it.
Select Permissions

What identities are listed?
Click on the Advanced button
Click on the Owner tab
Who is listed as the Owner?

now hit the Cancel buttons until you're back in Regedit, and exit that, and post the answers to the questions.

It may tell us why things aren't working.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Aug 2014   #19
snurjawi

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
OK, thanks.

I'll have to take advice on this one!
Please follow these instructions carefully (errors made in here can be fatal - and there's no easy way back)...

Create a new System Restore Point

Open Regedit
In the left pane, navigate to the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Key, and right-click on it.
Select Permissions

What identities are listed?
Click on the Advanced button
Click on the Owner tab
Who is listed as the Owner?

now hit the Cancel buttons until you're back in Regedit, and exit that, and post the answers to the questions.

It may tell us why things aren't working.
list of identities :
CREATOR OWNER
SYSTEM
Administrators (SALSABILA-SUSHI\Administrator)
Users (SALSABILA-SUSHI\Users)

Current owner : Administrators (SALSABILA-SUSHI\Administrator)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2014   #20
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

IN that case, all I can think of is that they must be either tagged as 'in use' or contain illegal characters which prevent the commands from working.
I'll see what I can figure out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I can't change my update setting




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting
I am trying to add a refurbished HP system to my menagerie. It had Windows 7 Pro (64bit) installed when I got it. I went through the setup without any problems, created a user account for myself (Lewis), set the system name to TestPC and started installing and testing some software. Simple...
Network & Sharing
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting
I'm trying to set up a Synology NAS for my home network, however I can only access via the Synology utility and through a browser using the internal IP address. It does not otherwise appear on my network; I can't ping it, map drives to it by any method, etc. Googling suggests that this problem...
Network & Sharing
Can't change Windows Update setting
I just did a clean installation of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on my Fujitsu Lifebook U820. I am signed on with an account that has administrative permissions, but when I go to Windows Update and try to change the settings, the dialog tells me "Some settings are managed by your system...
Windows Updates & Activation
Window Appearance Setting Change
I have selected the option set computer for best appearance in the performance tab. However, after a reboot or after 10 or 15 minutes 1 feature that is show window contents while dragging gets disabled and it outlines. Due to which I have to keep changing the settings again and again. Does someone...
General Discussion
Can't change setting in homegroup
If you can't change the settings in homegroup e.g to stop document sharing, or you can't enable printer sharing then make sure your Windows Firewall is on. I've been using a default setup of an Internet Security product with it's own filewall, but Windows woul not allow me to share a printer or...
Network & Sharing
where can i change the bios setting ?
Hello, i try to find in my award bios acer, the cpu line to active the hyper-v. the only think i've found for cpu is cup ==> amd k8 cool & quiet control when i use tha amd hyper-v check i've got that result http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8176/hyperv.jpg So, this test is really ok for the...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App