Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How2 get pulled installs (KB2982791) *OR* get W7 to 'think' installed?

21 Aug 2014   #1
RogerLafayette

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 
How2 get pulled installs (KB2982791) *OR* get W7 to 'think' installed?

I'm between a rock and a hard place here. I need KB2982791 to access a customer site via VPN. Apparently the fact that MS has pulled this update is of no concern to the folks who run the (Juniper) VPN. MS, however, will not give me the update for love or money.

I can only think of two solutions:

1) I can get the update install file from someone who has it. Is there a service that I can use for this? My customer will not help. (Frankly I could kick myself for not immediately downloading all the install files on Black Tuesday. I should've known this would occur someday.

2) I can 'trick' my machine into 'thinking' that 2982791 was installed.

In case it helps, I have both a 32-bit W7Pro and a 64-bit W7home system. MS is allegedly going to re-issue the patch, but if they decide not to bother, then I may be locked out of this VPN for good. My only other choice will be to buy Visa *sigh* or Server '03 (I have a W8 machine, but the exact same issue exists with that very patch).

Anyone have any ideas? I have wracked my brain for some days now and can come up with nothing.

TIA


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Aug 2014   #2
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

Problems with Windows updates August 2014 KB2982791 KB2970228 KB2975719 KB2975331

What CPU do you have in the two computers? I'm not seeing the problem on my Custom AMD machines, either Win7 or Win8.1 using Firefox 30.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #3
RogerLafayette

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

> What CPU do you have in the two computers? I'm not seeing the problem on my Custom AMD machines, either Windows 7 or Win8.1 using Firefox 30.

Thank you for your response. My 32-bit is a pentium D 3.4Ghz if that helps.

You could not see the problem unless you had permissions for my customer's VPN - only then would you see the error message that indicates that Juniper won't let you on, unless MS update KB2982791 is installed. The message has nothing to do with my CPU or my browser. It's a feature of Juniper VPN - for security reasons, they require installation of what they believe to be all MS patches.

However KB2982791 is no longer available, and I had failed to install it before MS pulled it. Unfortunately the VPN admins are still requiring it.

Was my question unclear?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Aug 2014   #4
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

The only reason I asked about the CPU is that in my area only those running Intel CPUs that I've had to deal with had the problem with that update. Don't know if it's only because Intel is in the several brands sold in my area. I've been using AMD since '92 and only have Intel on computers I've resurrected/prevented going to the landfill.

Or in other words, it's just one of several methods of diagnosing a problem, always good to know the specifications of a machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #5
RogerLafayette

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Let me repeat my Q, to make sure that anyone reading this thread is not sidetracked:

1) I need the install file for KB2982791 for either 32-bit or 64-bit W7 (I think both files are the same). MS will not give it to me until they fix it (and there is no ETA).

2) OR I need to be able to "trick" my system into thinking it was already installed.

Otherwise I can't get onto my customer's Juniper VPN, which insists on detecting that patch on my machine.

****

> The only reason I asked about the CPU is that in my area only those running Intel CPUs that I've had to deal with had the problem with that update. Don't know if it's only because Intel is in the several brands sold in my area. I've been using AMD since '92 and only have Intel on computers I've resurrected/prevented going to the landfill.

And that would be very interesting indeed, if I had installed the patch. However, as as you can see ... my problem is that I have not installed it, can't get it, and need it.

> Or in other words, it's just one of several methods of diagnosing a problem, always good to know the specifications of a machine.

In this case, however, I must respectfully suggest that machine spec.s (or browser types) are 100% irrelevant. Let's please try to stay on topic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #6
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

I can only suggest that you go back to the admins and state your case forcefully - it is undoubtedly THEIR problem and not yours.
Switching protocols without sufficiently testing the in-use scenarios is a common problem (which every now and then, as in this case, MS falls foul of) - and all businesses should have a fall-back position. They have obviously not done here, and that can only be described as inept at best.

There should be no requirement to install a known-broken update - EVER.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2014   #7
RogerLafayette

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

> There should be no requirement to install a known-broken update - EVER.

Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate the sentiment. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do.

***

May I respectfully implore all future posters in this thread to focus on the topic, and reply only if they have a potential solution?

I realize that my situation is horrible, but neither "rubbernecking" nor expressions of sympathy/empathy will be of value to me. Other posters may derive pleasure from such, I suppose.

***

There must be a way to fool windows (or a program that inspects the update history) into thinking that a patch has been installed. Where is it - some obscure hive in the registry?

OR there must be some organization somewhere that keeps copies of MS patches, and which will sell me an install file.

Anyone have any ideas at all? (I mean potential *solutions*!!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2014   #8
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

I have the relevant file - but in view of its history, I'm not going to be sending it anywhere.
There are ways to fool Windows into thinking a patch is installed - but you'd be making a rod for your own back by doing it, and the chances are that the application you're using depends on the update being properly installed anyhow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2014   #9
RogerLafayette

Windows 7 Professional 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
There are ways to fool Windows into thinking a patch is installed - but you'd be making a rod for your own back by doing it,
I need it to access a customer's site. I only use W7 for that purpose. Your point seems to be that I'd be better off, if I risked losing the contract?

***

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
and the chances are that the application you're using depends on the update being properly installed anyhow.
As with all generalizations, this one is true - "in general." The update in Q only has to do with a certain category of fonts, which I do not use. The problem is that MS originally designated it as essential, and the VPN admins blindly followed their lead.

MS itself has asked users to uninstall it. I'd be happy to reinstall it once they release it again (if they ever do).

But your ultimate position is that by tricking VPN into thinking that this particular update has been installed (at least until MS releases it again), I'd be worse off than I would be if it was not installed (as per MS's own advice).

I'm having a great deal of trouble following your logic. In both cases I do not have the update (at least until MS releases it again). So what's the difference?

***

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I have the relevant file - but in view of its history, I'm not going to be sending it anywhere.
While I appreciate your commitment to doing the responsible thing (and preventing me from foolishly injuring myself), I believe your logic is flawed with regards to the issue of tricking VPN into thinking the update has been installed (as I mentioned earlier).

In this case, I believe you are also coming to a determination without all the facts. I have both Ghost15 and Acronis, as well as Windows backups. Although windows backups do not allow verification, my Ghost15 and Acronis backups have both been validated. If I get a BSoD, I will be able to recover immediately. The fact is, that this update only affects computers that run applications with a particular class of fonts (as I'm sure you know).

Your efforts to protect me from myself, while laudable, are simply not supported by reason.

Am I missing something?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How2 get pulled installs (KB2982791) *OR* get W7 to 'think' installed?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How2 find hardware serial numbers
The web is full of sites on how to find the serial number of your computer but not all serial numbers of hardware belonging to it. I also found 'Hardware ID Extractor.exe' which is extremely limited and both Belarc Advisor and Speccy do not provide such info. I was wondering if there is such...
Hardware & Devices
Kb2982791
Hello, Just updated to 2993651 automatically and read about the problems with 2982791. It was suggested that the earlier one be removed prior to updating. So, I uninstalled 2982791 & 2993651, then reinstalled 2993651. I now show 2982791 still on update history, found this is supposedly normal....
Windows Updates & Activation
How2 fax documents from hp officejet j4580?-all is greyed out except
How does one fax documents from HP OfficeJet J4580?--all is greyed out except if images are chosen. If I use Solution Center it will assume that my fax document is something I want to scan (Usually it isn't in my case). Why is there no other choice? If I use 'Document Manager' under View the...
Hardware & Devices
How2 install IE8 on a Windows 7 x64 PC? Can't seem to do it.
Hi folks. I'm a little stuck, I need to install Internet Explorer 8 on my Windows 7 (x64) PC but am unable to find a compatible version. It appears MS have made IE8 and Win7 incompatible. Whatever version i try i get a error message informing em my OS is not compatible with IE8. :mad: It...
Browsers & Mail
KB973688 & KB954430 Installs, and install, and installs...
Hello, These 2 updates are in Windows update awaiting to install. Once (and it wasn't at first install) there was an error message and i deleted some files as directed by MS help page. Now they are always in the Windows update page, I install, no error, they are still there... Thanks for...
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App