Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

02 Aug 2015   #221
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
...
I am perfectly happy with Windows 7 & plan on using as long as there is support. Why is MS pushing 10 so hard?

thank you
Because MS is afraid of another Win 8 debacle and is using every trick it can think of to ensure the installation figures for Win 10 look as good as possible and avoid having it appear to be another embarrassing flop like Win 8 was. It also wants to gain as much control over how you compute as possible, the hell with what anyone may actually want, much like Apple has done.
I don't know if 10 will be a success. Microsoft needs to make some improvements and be clearer on what they mean in the E.U.L.A. I think Microsoft might come out with a statement this week or next to address the critics but we still don't know if Microsoft will do anything. Time will tell.

For the record I do like 10 but for some the cost may be to high.

Windows 10 may not be h.i.p.a.a compliant even the Enterprise version-unconfirmed at the moment.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Aug 2015   #222
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Never check for updates = should never actually be used you have MSE

But regardless Ask before downloading and installing updates is harmless
So is unchecking Give me recommended updates the same as Important updates.

It sounds like your user account is not the only one on this machine ?
That update is only one of several win-10 preparations updates.
I set it back to "Download updates & let me choose", the Never was just to try & keep KB2952664 off. "Give me recommended updates the same as Important updates" is unchecked.
This is my laptop & only has one user account. But the same Action Center msg is on the desktop. Something has changed recently.

Still concerned that am unable to remove KB2952664. Believe I have hidden this update on several occasions, there must be several iterations of KB2952664.

edit:
Have also hidden KB3035583, KB3068708
In last months Dr. Windows update pack that update was on v10 so there's been quite a few different versions of that file. That thing is going nowhere near my system again as it's the update that caused my hard disk to thrash regularly. Have had no issues since I got rid of it.
I've always had the Action Center set to not warn me about Windows Updates as I install them around a week after they've been out and after I've made a system image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #223
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
In last months Dr. Windows update pack that update was on v10 so there's been quite a few different versions of that file. That thing is going nowhere near my system again as it's the update that caused my hard disk to thrash regularly. Have had no issues since I got rid of it.
I've always had the Action Center set to not warn me about Windows Updates as I install them around a week after they've been out and after I've made a system image.
So it's possible to have one v of KB2952664 installed while another is hidden?
I'll keep an eye on HD's but as far as I know no adverse affect yet.

Thanks for that.

On another note:
I bought the desktop in 2009 - it came with Vista. I did not install Win 7 until a couple years later. So I have had this PC for 6 years & in that time could have installed now 5 different OS's, including Win 10. Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1 & Win 10. Not knowing anything about Win 8 or 8.1 I assume 8.1 is not like a service pack update to Win 8 but instead an actual upgrade?
That's an upgrade almost every year. How often does MS think we want to upgrade our machines? I don't want to offend the Geeks here (Geek being a good thing) but for some of us it's just too much.

Many of my friends & family members are dropping their Android phones in favor of iPhones just because they aren't willing to keep up with the tech. The iPhones are apparently very easy to use. I won't touch Apple products, to me that's like buying a $50,000 car when a $20,000 car will do the same thing - more in some cases. My Pantech Burst $120 on eBay, unlocked. $10/month phone plan with budget carrier. Hard to beat that
I think these tech giants (MS & Google) are chasing customers off by over complicating.

Think I just hit 100 posts
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Aug 2015   #224
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Never check for updates = should never actually be used you have MSE

But regardless Ask before downloading and installing updates is harmless
So is unchecking Give me recommended updates the same as Important updates.

It sounds like your user account is not the only one on this machine ?
That update is only one of several win-10 preparations updates.
I set it back to "Download updates & let me choose", the Never was just to try & keep KB2952664 off. "Give me recommended updates the same as Important updates" is unchecked.
This is my laptop & only has one user account. But the same Action Center msg is on the desktop. Something has changed recently.

Still concerned that am unable to remove KB2952664. Believe I have hidden this update on several occasions, there must be several iterations of KB2952664.

edit:
Have also hidden KB3035583, KB3068708
caused my hard disk to thrash regularly. .
I didn't do anything

On a serious note I just did a clean install on my new assembly and those updates have not installed
I avoided most of the ones in post 1 plus a few others so I don't know what is going on with your system ?
I sure don't have any get 10 doodah
I'll buy it outright or not at all.
Weird to say the least though
System restore or uninstalling it clearly does not work for some people :/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #225
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
I didn't do anything

On a serious note I just did a clean install on my new assembly and those updates have not installed
I avoided most of the ones in post 1 plus a few others so I don't know what is going on with your system ?
I sure don't have any get 10 doodah
I'll buy it outright or not at all.
Weird to say the least though
System restore or uninstalling it clearly does not work for some people :/
There goes my nice round 100

Was not having a problem with KB2952664 until just recently, have had it hidden since I started following this thread. As I have most, if not all, the other updates identified to be Win 10 related. My first encounter with the Win 10 stuff came around the middle of May when sfc scan found corrupted files = Corrupt "utc.app.json" & "telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" A result of KB3022345 = Windows 7 update (KB3022345) causing corrupt files

So yes I didn't do it. As far as I'm concerned this Microsoft breaking my machine & I want them to stop doing it.

Windows update updating is new but I'll just leave updates in auto since that appears to be what MS wants. If only Important updates get installed guess that's OK.

System restore out of the question, computers running well. Now that all KB2952664 installed & Action Center alert gone all is good.



Edit:
After reread that comment may have been a bit snide
Quote:
So yes I didn't do it. As far as I'm concerned this Microsoft breaking my machine & I want them to stop doing it.
Perhaps gregrocker hit it. I'll just install all I hid pertaining to Win 10 & let MS do it's thing.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Set Updates to Automatic. Hide Bing. The others are fine. .
Hope there's nothing wrong with Windows Update. That both Win 7 machines affected at same time doesn't lend itself to my mistake, in my opinion.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #226
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

It's all good it's a touchy subject
I don't hate 10 I just don't want to replace 7
There is a difference
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #227
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post

I set it back to "Download updates & let me choose", the Never was just to try & keep KB2952664 off. "Give me recommended updates the same as Important updates" is unchecked.
This is my laptop & only has one user account. But the same Action Center msg is on the desktop. Something has changed recently.

Still concerned that am unable to remove KB2952664. Believe I have hidden this update on several occasions, there must be several iterations of KB2952664.

edit:
Have also hidden KB3035583, KB3068708
caused my hard disk to thrash regularly. .
I didn't do anything

On a serious note I just did a clean install on my new assembly and those updates have not installed
I avoided most of the ones in post 1 plus a few others so I don't know what is going on with your system ?
I sure don't have any get 10 doodah
I'll buy it outright or not at all.
Weird to say the least though
System restore or uninstalling it clearly does not work for some people :/
it's your fault Thrash!

Newpgm one thing you could do if you REALLY want those updates gone for good, it's a last resort but you could do a Repair Install (not clean), that will keep all your files, programs and accounts but completely flush out all the Windows updates. You'd have to install them all again and obviously miss out all the ones listed in this thread but it'll get rid of them.
I've done two repair installs since I installed 7 in 2009, it fixes any issues. You'd have to setup a couple things again but it's pretty painless and easy to do.

Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #228
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'll look into it. Think I'll wait to see if anyone else experiences same = KB2952664 hidden but also installed.
Should that be happening? I had hid KB2952664 (several times actually) & messing around with the Action Center Issue I'm sure I set Windows Update back to Auto & thus KB2952664 installed a couple days ago - but it was already hidden?

& it's on both Win 7 machines. Could I have broken Windows Update on both in the same fashion at the same time? Aside from that the machines are running well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #229
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
I'll look into it. Think I'll wait to see if anyone else experiences same = KB2952664 hidden but also installed.
Should that be happening? I had hid KB2952664 (several times actually) & messing around with the Action Center Issue I'm sure I set Windows Update back to Auto & thus KB2952664 installed a couple days ago - but it was already hidden?

& it's on both Win 7 machines. Could I have broken Windows Update on both in the same fashion at the same time? Aside from that the machines are running well.
You haven't broken Windows update, but for some reason that update just won't uninstall. If it isn't causing you any problems though you can just leave it installed.

I just don't want any of those latest telemetry updates on my system. Leave that nonsense for Windows 10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Aug 2015   #230
newpgm

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hmm... I ran Fixit for Windows Update & here is what it said:




Stupid me didn't realize I wasn't getting the notification "Windows Installed New Updates", as soon as Fixit finished it popped for the KB2952664 install from earlier. So maybe Windows Update is fragged? Perhaps I should open a thread on this in the appropriate forum. At least for the two issues that were not fixed.

Thanks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by newpgm View Post
So yes I didn't do it. As far as I'm concerned this Microsoft breaking my machine & I want them to stop doing it.
Guess I did break it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates - Remove Outdated Updates in Windows 7
How to Remove Outdated Windows Updates Using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 Microsoft released an update on October 8, 2013 that allows you to remove outdated Windows Updates using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7. This update adds a new plugin to the Disk Cleanup wizard. After you install this update,...
Tutorials
Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates
For the past day windows wants to install the same 4 updates over and over, I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install. I can't understand why I even need them, as I uninstalled net framework. Notice how the update at 8:17 AM., KB2656368, is the same as one of...
Windows Updates & Activation
How do I remove ALL Windows Updates? Repair Install sayMy sys is newer
I know I "can" do this manually for each one listed in Installed Updates via the Programs and Features tool. but that will take forever. I'm looking for a quicker automated way to uninstall all updates. Before you ask why i want to do such a thing - I am trying to do an In Place repair...
Windows Updates & Activation
Reinstalled Windows 7 upgrade to remove keylogger eBlaster
An ex-girlfriend remotely installed the keylogger eBlaster which is made by SpectorSoft. After research, I decided to reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade disc. I booted from the DVD drive and arrived at a screen that showed two partitions: recovery and the existing W7 files. I...
Windows Updates & Activation
NETIO.SYS BSOD Windows updates + Remove XP Pro Boot
Hi Another BSOD with W7x86 upgrade from XP to W7 Home/Family edition. Recently installed the update over exisiting XP Pro which I was going to reinstall all going fine. Updated all W7 files and drivers, Windows7 installed. Installed few minor apps everything ok. Installed MS Office 2007...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App