Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

07 Aug 2015   #251
Compumind

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hi everyone!

There are so many suggestions and comments in this thread about removing the GWX notifier icon, that I'm confused on what to do without causing myself any grief.

Could a forum "guru" level person please state and endorse the easiest and correct fix possible?

Thanks so much!




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Aug 2015   #252
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Compumind View Post
Hi everyone!

There are so many suggestions and comments in this thread about removing the GWX notifier icon, that I'm confused on what to do without causing myself any grief.

Could a forum "guru" level person please state and endorse the easiest and correct fix possible?

Thanks so much!

Go into control panel > Windows updates and set it to notify you but not download/install automatically.
Then programs and features > click installed updates at the top, give it a moment to list all the updates then under the section "Microsoft Windows" uninstall KB3035583 and when it gets offered to you again, hide it.

The get Windows 10 icon isn't needed, when you're ready to install W10 use the media creation tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #253
Compumind

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Compumind View Post
Hi everyone!

There are so many suggestions and comments in this thread about removing the GWX notifier icon, that I'm confused on what to do without causing myself any grief.

Could a forum "guru" level person please state and endorse the easiest and correct fix possible?

Thanks so much!

Go into control panel > Windows updates and set it to notify you but not download/install automatically.
Then programs and features > click installed updates at the top, give it a moment to list all the updates then under the section "Microsoft Windows" uninstall KB3035583 and when it gets offered to you again, hide it.

The get Windows 10 icon isn't needed, when you're ready to install W10 use the media creation tool.
Hi Brds7t7,

OK. I will give it a go. What do you mean by the Media Creation Tool though?

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Aug 2015   #254
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gini View Post
Quote:
I just had KB2953664 along with a new update "improver" show up thiss morning. I'm so furious with Micro S**t trying to RAM these updates down my throat, especially KB2953664! The latter has been "offered" to me three or four times in the past month. Can't the clowns take a hint?
Same here. I keep hiding it but it comes back! Guess MS thinks you'll forget you've already rejected it . . .
I did July's updates yesterday, data cap issues, and the previously hidden KB2953664 showed up again. I now have two KB2953664 updates hidden. One shows as "Recommended" at 6.0 MB and the other "Optional" at 6.1 MB. I don't remember which one I hid first.

When I checked today I got the "Windows is up to date" - "There are no new updates available for your computer." Perhaps there is hope that it has given up. Only time will tell.
OK, this weird. I checked Windows Updates again to see how many times I had had KB2953664 "offered" and it shows it was only twice. I know darned well I've hidden the blasted thing many more times than that in just the past month!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #255
Brds7t7

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Compumind View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brds7t7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Compumind View Post
Hi everyone!

There are so many suggestions and comments in this thread about removing the GWX notifier icon, that I'm confused on what to do without causing myself any grief.

Could a forum "guru" level person please state and endorse the easiest and correct fix possible?

Thanks so much!

Go into control panel > Windows updates and set it to notify you but not download/install automatically.
Then programs and features > click installed updates at the top, give it a moment to list all the updates then under the section "Microsoft Windows" uninstall KB3035583 and when it gets offered to you again, hide it.

The get Windows 10 icon isn't needed, when you're ready to install W10 use the media creation tool.
Hi Brds7t7,

OK. I will give it a go. What do you mean by the Media Creation Tool though?

Thanks!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Don't worry about the media creation tool until you're ready to install W10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #256
scr

1. Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 - 64bit 2. Windows 7 Pro sp1 - 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scr View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gini View Post
Same here. I keep hiding it but it comes back! Guess MS thinks you'll forget you've already rejected it . . .
I did July's updates yesterday, data cap issues, and the previously hidden KB2953664 showed up again. I now have two KB2953664 updates hidden. One shows as "Recommended" at 6.0 MB and the other "Optional" at 6.1 MB. I don't remember which one I hid first.

When I checked today I got the "Windows is up to date" - "There are no new updates available for your computer." Perhaps there is hope that it has given up. Only time will tell.
OK, this weird. I checked Windows Updates again to see how many times I had had KB2953664 "offered" and it shows it was only twice. I know darned well I've hidden the blasted thing many more times than that in just the past month!
My post was not to say that previously the update didn't stay hidden. To be quite honest I think I've hidden it more then twice but I'm afraid I need a memory upgrade, not the computer, me.

This whole Windows 10 thing could have been handled much better in my opinion. It certainly did not improve my opinion of MS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #257
jhexp67

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Can the program files for Windows 10 be deleted?
I reserved Windows 10 and my PC is ready to install it on Windows Update.
I have decided to stay with Windows 7 and would like to remove any program files etc for Windows 10.

I uninstalled all the updates for Windows 10:
KB 3035583
KB 2952664
KB 3021917
KB 2990214
KB 2952664 and KB 3035583 reappeared on the Windows Update so I hid them.
I have also hidden the major update 'Update to Windows 10 Home'

Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad
Have a read through How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8


I have read thru the thread you mentioned.
I uninstalled all the updates for Windows 10:
KB 3035583
KB 2952664
KB 3021917
KB 2990214

KB 2952664 and KB 3035583 reappeared on the Windows Update so I hid them.
I have also hidden the major update 'Update to Windows 10 Home'
Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad
Have a read through How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8


I have read thru the thread you mentioned.
I uninstalled all the updates for Windows 10:
KB 3035583
KB 2952664
KB 3021917
KB 2990214

KB 2952664 and KB 3035583 reappeared on the Windows Update so I hid them.
I have also hidden the major update 'Update to Windows 10 Home'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #258
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi
Run disk cleanup,
Click start and type in the search box
disk cleanup
Click on the suggestion or enter key

After check the options you want to remove and you'll also see another option to Cleanup system files
On this list you'll see Windows update cleanup

It's been a little flaky in the pest but see what the amount of updates kb/mg/gb it shows.

In the past it has removed some updates that return but then again win-10 updates are already returning so what is the difference

It does take a machine restart for the process to complete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #259
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

This is my Specialized High Intensity Training list:

KB2990214

KB3035583

KB2952664

KB3021917

KB2819745

KB3022345

KB3050265

KB3068708

KB3065987
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Aug 2015   #260
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I actually have a boat load I'm not interested in
16 hidden and 7 still in the Optional section that I don't bother hiding
Most are remote desktop stuff weird time zone and our favorite Russian font update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Updates - Remove Outdated Updates in Windows 7
How to Remove Outdated Windows Updates Using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7 Microsoft released an update on October 8, 2013 that allows you to remove outdated Windows Updates using Disk Cleanup in Windows 7. This update adds a new plugin to the Disk Cleanup wizard. After you install this update,...
Tutorials
Windows 7 updates same for updates every time it checks for updates
For the past day windows wants to install the same 4 updates over and over, I have windows update set to download and let me choose when to install. I can't understand why I even need them, as I uninstalled net framework. Notice how the update at 8:17 AM., KB2656368, is the same as one of...
Windows Updates & Activation
How do I remove ALL Windows Updates? Repair Install sayMy sys is newer
I know I "can" do this manually for each one listed in Installed Updates via the Programs and Features tool. but that will take forever. I'm looking for a quicker automated way to uninstall all updates. Before you ask why i want to do such a thing - I am trying to do an In Place repair...
Windows Updates & Activation
Reinstalled Windows 7 upgrade to remove keylogger eBlaster
An ex-girlfriend remotely installed the keylogger eBlaster which is made by SpectorSoft. After research, I decided to reinstall my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit upgrade disc. I booted from the DVD drive and arrived at a screen that showed two partitions: recovery and the existing W7 files. I...
Windows Updates & Activation
NETIO.SYS BSOD Windows updates + Remove XP Pro Boot
Hi Another BSOD with W7x86 upgrade from XP to W7 Home/Family edition. Recently installed the update over exisiting XP Pro which I was going to reinstall all going fine. Updated all W7 files and drivers, Windows7 installed. Installed few minor apps everything ok. Installed MS Office 2007...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App